attempted scoly rescue..

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well a buddy of mine who, how do i put this, thinks he can do saltwater tank/reef. He is one of those people who has no patience and will listen to anything you tell them to try and help them and will try and do it but will also shoot themselves in the foot just as fast and when they really should be callign you for help they dont and then say i dindt wanna bother you...

so long story short he has been buying coral online, not a big deal, his tank was looking great for a few months after i finally got him straightened out. But i guess it didnt last to long, he has lost a war coral, candy cane, and some mushrooms so far. even the kenya tree's look ticked off. im goign to be doign some tests on his tank in next day or so and see whats going on, his salinty was low a week ago and things were looking bad before that and have gotten worse real fast.

sorry for the rambling but more less wanting to know if this looks saveable. sorry for the horrible pics best i can do atm. i have a lobo, duncan, chalice, frogspawn, and hammer all doing fairly well in my tank for the time being! so hoping i can help recover this and his lobo, but the lobo i dont see making it.....

anyway here are pics of the scoly, any help or idea would be appreciated. i have it in low to moderate flow and moderate to high light atm. thinking of moving it more in the shade though.

IMG_0009-2.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SHADE IT!!!!! It will probably look normal again in a weeks time if you will shade it. Mine love LOW light! Also drop some pellets in it's mouth area.

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ill move it .. i turned off 2 of my 4 lights so its not in high light... i was going to wait and see if it opened up when my moon lights come on and try and feed it.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup shade it like rev said,i had two scolys get stung very badly by other corals.one got tore up really bad by an acan enchinata and almost half of the scoly was dead before i saw it and the other lost about one third of its tissue.i shaded them and fed them heavily for about 2-2 1/2 months and they are almost completely healed.you can barely tell they got in a war at all.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it will make it. Definitely drop some food on it weather it opens up or not. Feed it every night if ya can.

NU2REEFIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar thread going on here and these guys are right, FEED IT and it will recover and be a nice addition to your tank.

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Both lobo and scoly. Looked puffed up this morning. Will move to shade and feed after work before lights come on.. will update with pics in a few days.

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after work tonight the scoly is puffed up with its feeders out!! going to feed it here in just a few minutes!! the lobo i got one of the 2 is looking a lot better a puffed up as well! goign to be moving them both into the shade before the lights come on in another hour! so looking a little better already!! thanks for the help guys! like i said ill have some update photos in a day or 2!

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well since i havnt updated this in a while i guess i will now. ive been having some dkh problems with it riding down around 6-7.5 last few times i tested. as of last night i have it back up to 9. ive recently switched over to 2 part from brs and been having trouble keeping it up where i want it at 9. the scolly doesnt look any better, and has started losing some flesh. since i got the dkh back up it has seemed to stop or slow down and what flesh is left has seemed to puff back up. the lobo i got at the same time is still growing new flesh and seems to be making a strong come back. hopefully if i can get my dkh settled out in time that it can try and make a come back to!

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well as of right now scolly is almost fully covered in flesh again from what i can see withought moving it. ive had it in minimal light for a few weeks now and has grown a lot of new flesh but has lost a lot of color. im goign to try and start feeding it more often. ill try and get some pictures soon but where its at, is hard to get to

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok sorry havnt updated this but its making a great recovery!! it lost all its color when i moved it into the shade, but it grew back all its tissue and im now slowly moving it back out into the light! and its coloring up great!! im feeding it NLS pellets 2-3x a week, i need to get some of the LPS food. but here are a few pics ive taken over last few months since last ones were taken....

here it is now
IMG_20111020_224317.jpg

here are a few of it eating
IMG_20111028_233726.jpg
IMG_20111028_233733.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great news! Awesome!

acr0p0ra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most NLS pellets have a type of copper listed as an ingredient. I'm not sure but I can't imagine that being a good choice to feed your corals. I would do mysis, small pieces of krill or other meaty food if you can't get LPS pellets

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most NLS pellets have a type of copper listed as an ingredient. I'm not sure but I can't imagine that being a good choice to feed your corals. I would do mysis, small pieces of krill or other meaty food if you can't get LPS pellets

Some copper (a very small amount) is required by all marine creatures. I don't know for certain, but I would certainly think that they would be well under this amount.

CJ

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hmm i woudlnt think a well konwn and used company would put a known killer or inverts and coral in a food people are goign to feed them.... but thanks for your concern ;)

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you stated that you were having some kh problems earlier. Have you been checking your magnesium levels? If not I would start especially if your using like regular IO or reef crystals salt they are on the low side for magnesium. I would almost be willing to bet money that your tank has low mag if your noticing drops in kh that quick. Just a good heads up. Also scolys are pretty tough and like everyone else has stated they like shade and food, some form of amino acids will help them color up as well. I like the coral amino personally but just my .02

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you stated that you were having some kh problems earlier. Have you been checking your magnesium levels? If not I would start especially if your using like regular IO or reef crystals salt they are on the low side for magnesium. I would almost be willing to bet money that your tank has low mag if your noticing drops in kh that quick. Just a good heads up. Also scolys are pretty tough and like everyone else has stated they like shade and food, some form of amino acids will help them color up as well. I like the coral amino personally but just my .02

i have gotten Kh probelms fixed by switching over to 2 part. magnesium sits at 1625. i use kent reef salt and do weekly 5-7gal changes. i have been slowly moving it back out into the light and it is getting more color back daily, ill try and get a better pic it is starting to get some green back into it now. i have been thinking about trying the amino acids though!

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the KH probs were straightened out that will go the farthest when it comes to gettin him healthy again. I am a beleiver in the amino acids but again that just my .02

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back