Attn plumbers. New softener question.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doob
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Doob

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2015
Messages
632
Reaction score
230
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a new water softener, my house has never had one. Seems pretty straight forward, the only thing I'm confused about is this:

Water feed coming out of the meter is 3/4" pipe. Inlet/outlet on softener is 1". Do I simply get an adaptor, or will expanding it to 1" reduce the water pressure and make the softener not work properly?

Specs say it needs 3gpm feed, 125 psi max. I'm not sure how to measure the gpm, just open it to 1" and time how long it takes to fill a bucket?

I'll get a pressure gauge tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.
 
You will be fine. If you are just going from 3/4 to 1 inch just for connecting to the water softener then back to 3/4 you will not see any drop in pressure.
 
You will be fine. If you are just going from 3/4 to 1 inch just for connecting to the water softener then back to 3/4 you will not see any drop in pressure.

Thanks.

I'm surprised that it's not addressed in any installation videos I've watched it on any instructions that I've ready.
Is 1" standard feed in modern construction?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new