Aussie torches dead on arrival - any advice?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any have any advice on Aussie torches? I just bought an Aussie gold torch and an Aussie purple torch with a neon green mouth. Both arrived in terrible shape, basically DOA, and completely melted within 24 hrs. I don't think they ship well. Combined they were $535, so it could have been really bad. Luckily the seller (ASD) is consistently pretty awesome and accepted my DOA claim, so they have offered to either replace the torches with the exact same species or just give credit back.

Any thoughts? Really like these corals but not sure what to do. I got two other torches on the same day, one in the exact same package, and they're doing great. They're Indo torches though, so I think they ship better.

aussie gold torch.png

What I bought.

5A202A89-DF00-4650-AF39-0BC7B3F02BF4.jpeg

What I ended up with 24 hrs after arrival.

I wanna try these torches again, but something also tells me to cut my losses and just use the in-store credit to buy something that ships better.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ship fine just depends on the health of the specimen before shipment. Best bet is to buy one locally and aquacultured

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any have any advice on Aussie torches? I just bought an Aussie gold torch and an Aussie purple torch with a neon green mouth. Both arrived in terrible shape, basically DOA, and completely melted within 24 hrs. I don't think they ship well. Combined they were $535, so it could have been really bad. Luckily the seller (ASD) is consistently pretty awesome and accepted my DOA claim, so they have offered to either replace the torches with the exact same species or just give credit back.

Any thoughts? Really like these corals but not sure what to do. I got two other torches on the same day, one in the exact same package, and they're doing great. They're Indo torches though, so I think they ship better.

aussie gold torch.png

What I bought.

I wanna try these torches again, but something also tells me to cut my losses and just use the in-store credit to buy something that ships better.
I would cut my losses and buy something else. Or make sure ASD will replace the second one if it also dies or DOA.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

aussie gold torch.png

What I bought.

Having the same issue with ASD and a torch they just shipped.

Came in a little better than yours but it's a gonner.

Messaged them and I'm sure they will make it right but I get what you're saying.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie gold torches are hit or miss in my experience. I was lucky to get a frag that was able to recover and survive, but it came in rough. They are very prone to bacterial issues. I almost think an iodine or antibacterial dip is a must for first few days to stop infection. That said, Aussie gold is my favorite out of all my torches.

AD51BC30-A67B-468F-A3EE-0E03F294E0A8.jpeg

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some cipro on hand.. most of them come in from AUS and they are almost immediately resold. They get to your door with BJD already started or just about to :/
That sucks, I don't really even have an isolation tank set up.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have some cipro on hand.. most of them come in from AUS and they are almost immediately resold. They get to your door with BJD already started or just about to :/
+ this x 100!!

also, they ship better in colder water vs warmer

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv just found out the problem is indeed shipping the golds really do not like being rubbed against the plastic bags, the only way to ship them is upside down on a poly plate so the edges dont touch the bags , big colonies are found at river entrances and all sorts of crap gets washed over them so they like a bit more turbidity than other torches obviously not too much but yea

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The unfortunate truth is they live in colder waters in Australia and have a very very hard time acclimating to our home aquariums.

iv just found out the problem is indeed shipping the golds really do not like being rubbed against the plastic bags, the only way to ship them is upside down on a poly plate so the edges dont touch the bags , big colonies are found at river entrances and all sorts of crap gets washed over them so they like a bit more turbidity than other torches obviously not too much but yea
Torches don't like rubbing against the bags....Aussie, Indo, or any species of euphyllia.

This is great advice on shipping and people take it a step further and put them into isolated cups and then into bags. There's quite aome unique ways nowadays.
Aussie gold torches are hit or miss in my experience. I was lucky to get a frag that was able to recover and survive, but it came in rough. They are very prone to bacterial issues. I almost think an iodine or antibacterial dip is a must for first few days to stop infection. That said, Aussie gold is my favorite out of all my torches.

AD51BC30-A67B-468F-A3EE-0E03F294E0A8.jpeg
Absolutely beautiful, how long have you had it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B0432788-A054-41A4-B987-7155CDD39E7F.jpeg

Not the best pic, but so far doing very well! Hopeful we’re past the shipping danger zone, so now I just have to keep it alive like normal.

Back