auto top off question

jck09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so right now i have a gravity fed auto top off controlled by a float valve. its begining to be a pain in the but ecause of the build up from the kalk. im thinking about buying an autotopoff.com kit but have a question. i would like to use the same container im using now but if i do i would have problems with a siphon because the hol in the container is at the bottom. so i was thinking would i be able to use a solenoid instead of a pump and keep it a gravity top off. thanks
john

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the safest thing to do is to use a dosing pump. you can find old hospital IV pumps on ebay for around $50 to $100, and can set how many ml's per hour to dose along with a total daily dose.

OP
OP
jck09

jck09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldnt i still get a siphon with those pumps because my reservoir is above the sump. i think the solenoid would work just wanted to see if anyone has done it his way first

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a solenoid would work fine as long as it is just
RODI water if you add stuff to it (Kalk, etc) it may hang up.

I use a brute trashcan as a reservoir and a Maxi-Jet 600 as a pump.

chromeguppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check out an A.T.O. I use one along with an Aqua Lift AW-20 pump. The ATO is ready to go from the box. No tools or drilling required. You attach one or two floating sensors in you sump, with a suction cup or clip (I prefer the clip), and it immediately goes to work. All I do is fill my 30 gallon top off trash can with RO water in takes care of the rest. I dose part A/B seperate. I dont have good luck with Kalk.

OP
OP
jck09

jck09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am planning on getting an ato. with two float switches. the problem is that the container is already set up as a gravity top off. if i use a pump to pump the water to the sump when the pump turns off it will continue to siphon into the sump. i would like to get an ato with a solenoid instead of the pump so that there is no way it can siphon. solenoid shuts off water stops. now the issue is that i do add kalk to my top off water. i was hoping someone has done this before to give me some insight. the reason i dont want to chang the container is that it has a cabinet built around it. i would have to find the exact same container somewhere. do you think the kalk would clog up the solenoid with regular cleanings? maybe some sort of filter in the reservoir so no gunk goes through the tubing?

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldnt i still get a siphon with those pumps because my reservoir is above the sump. i think the solenoid would work just wanted to see if anyone has done it his way first

you cant get a siphon when using a peristaltic pump. they're the safest way to do and ATO. just my .02

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am planning on getting an ato. with two float switches. the problem is that the container is already set up as a gravity top off. if i use a pump to pump the water to the sump when the pump turns off it will continue to siphon into the sump. i would like to get an ato with a solenoid instead of the pump so that there is no way it can siphon. solenoid shuts off water stops. now the issue is that i do add kalk to my top off water. i was hoping someone has done this before to give me some insight. the reason i dont want to chang the container is that it has a cabinet built around it. i would have to find the exact same container somewhere. do you think the kalk would clog up the solenoid with regular cleanings? maybe some sort of filter in the reservoir so no gunk goes through the tubing?

One way to dothis with a Pump is to run a larger diamater hose
up from the sump to the top of the brute (say 1"). Then use a
smaller diameter hose from the pump (1/2") to the larger hose.

Put the end of the smaller hose from the pump Inside of the larger hose.
When you pump it will pump to the Top of the larger hose and then via
gravity it will flow down the larger hose.

This way their is no siphon because of the air space where the two
hoses meet.

This may help explain it

Topoff.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back