OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you setup a booster pump with an automatic RO?

At the minute I plug in the booster pump when I run the RO unit. How do you automate this?

I can only imagine, you would have to link the power of the diaphragm pump to the unit that controls the top up tank in the sump. When that solenoid opens the RO line and pulls water from the RO unit, the booster pump is turned on etc.

Or can you get like an in-line low pressure switch? When the unit that tops up the Top off tank, it draws water and the pressure drops and turns the booster pump on.

Not sure how these automatic booster pumps work with auto RO units.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your over complicating your set up. A float valve would stop the water from running. Forget the booster pump and run two RO’s. Forget the diaphragm pump and just connect the DI inline there is no need for it. I would put the top off tank outside the sump then pump it into the sump with switch’s to stop the pump (two of them one as a back up float switches can get stuck) or gravity feed it to the sump with a float valve to stop the top off water from the top off tank. I wouldn’t feed the water to a tank sitting in the or to the sump directly because if for what ever reason the valve or switch gets stuck or breaks RO/DI water would be running the whole time till you shut it off. You want to pump top off water slow into the sump so you don’t want a fast pump. Instead of the trash can put the float valve on your top up tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i plan to have a separate fresh water tank in the sump with a flood switch in case it over flows.

The water pressure is quite low, it would take forever to fill. I just need a way of having the pump turn on automatically.

I can get a auto flush valve to keep the membrane clean. That parts solved, thanks for your help there.

As for the rest, i just want the lowest maintenance RO water, so i dont have to change it too much.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the Triton method so not doing water changes.

Its a good point you raise about the diaphragm booster pump, is it even needed really?

For an Auto RODI unit, do they improve efficiency at all? Time isnt a big factor here i guess.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes pressure effects the efficiency of an RO filter. It’s also possible to have to much pressure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wqpmag.com/factors-impact-ro-filter-performance?amp

This is a booster pump for an RO

30FA0953-8E17-4CCD-989C-649506AFBDF5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I have. Mine is a diagram style pump that I use for boosting the water pressure. Same thing.

I will time this to activate when the low water level is triggered. Thanks for your help.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the pressure off the tap? If it’s above 3.45 bars then you don’t need a booster pump. Sounds like your trying to put the pumps after the RO and feeding the DI you want the pump after the tap water feeding the whole system.

Last edited:

jaoojr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I have used to drinking water for 5 years on my fish only tank with no issues.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I have used to drinking water for 5 years on my fish only tank with no issues.

LoL

This depends on what’s in your water which verys depending on where you are. More often then not this is a recipe for disaster. If you have corals it’s even worse. Which you don’t.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the booster on the RO membrane yes. The tap water pressure is low. 5 PSI or so.

jaoojr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL

This depends on what’s in your water which verys depending on where you are. More often then not this is a recipe for disaster. If you have corals it’s even worse. Which you don’t.

My larger tank is fish only my biocube has corals.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My larger tank is fish only my biocube has corals.

I’m not saying it’s not possible but not a good idea. Using tap water can lead to and most often does a bunch of problems. Giving that as advice is just bad. Not sure why you think almost everyone in this hobby uses RO/DI water in the first place. You know that there have been outbreaks of stuff in tap water that made people sick right? So if he has tap water that is 300 TDS and your’s is 50 you think that is the same? Just to name a few things in tap water and there more then just these

0DC8E23C-A504-49B3-AF19-7F40C601E023.jpeg

A few problems caused by tap water

3BC1FAEF-E4A1-473C-9F97-F1117F55D617.jpeg

91E3A9DC-BE90-42F3-AA9B-BB679CBBD5FC.jpeg

4C04B34B-BBB4-474A-84E7-5706D0A749DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Just started reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Y'all,
I have a 65 gal mixed tank with very high Nitrates (100) and have been using tap water in my tank from the beginning. FOWLR tank for 15+ year and Mixed reef for less than a year. I tested our tap water and found out the Nitrates in it were over 75.
Do I need a RODI system? If so, what can y'all suggest? I don't have space for a permanent one. It will have to be able to fill can for water changes and then be put up.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Y'all,
I have a 65 gal mixed tank with very high Nitrates (100) and have been using tap water in my tank from the beginning. FOWLR tank for 15+ year and Mixed reef for less than a year. I tested our tap water and found out the Nitrates in it were over 75.
Do I need a RODI system? If so, what can y'all suggest? I don't have space for a permanent one. It will have to be able to fill can for water changes and then be put up.

It’s safer to use RO/DI water then not to. Not sure what U mean by permanent. At minimum I would get a 4 stage.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just put it under the sink then run a long RO/DI hose to the tank to fill or top off.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back