Automatic/ manual WC question using a DOS pump

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up my DOS pump to perform automatic and or manual water changes. here's my question my 60g water reservoir is slowly decreasing why? I know it should just keep reading.

when setting up/calibrated the dos I primed the lines and entered the measured volume of water. done.

next, I installed the water lines according to the instruction under the task DŌS Automatic Water Change. SIMPLE im ready to go.
Capture.JPG

I assigned the A/M WC to feed mode A. and let my apex create and control the rest. So I was ready to perform my first Manual WC and set the volume to 30g over 24 hrs. upon starting the wc, all was well, it was removing 793.3 ml every ten mins and if you do the math that's really close to 30g. I even went as far as to measure the amounts in and out to confirm and they were pretty darn close and no leaks. I was happy.

the next day I went out to look at my 60g reservoir to see if indeed 30g was gone and to my surprise, the water level had only dropped a few inches, NOT HALF. So I just decided to wait and see today again the water level only dropped a few inches. this is odd for two reasons

1. a manual change is supposed to remove that a set amount of water daily (i set mine to 30g and the dos info confirms that 30gish was removed but my water reservoir is proving this info to be wrong what the heck?
2. a manual change is supposed to be user-controlled, but my DOS Pump has been running non-stop for two days now. why?

is there anything I need to check or change in my apex? I mean it was supposed to be a set it and forget it install. Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

Capture a.JPG

Capture b.JPG

Capture d.JPG

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two thoughts:

1. Do you have both DOS output sliders set to AUTO on your dashboard? If they're set to ON, it will never turn off because the programming is only active when set to AUTO.

2. On the DOS schedule screen, click the gear at the top, then click the Advanced tab. That's where you should see this code:

If Output H2O_CONTROL = OFF Then OFF

That's the only part of the water change coding you didn't show in your screenshots, so I want to confirm it's there.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the screen shots of my dashboard and the advance tab you spoke of. Apex told me to not mess with these. Lol new water is the left pump and old water is the right pump.
Screenshot_20210329-134944_APEX Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-135137_APEX Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-135439_APEX Fusion.jpg

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate from checking the coding logic with @SuncrestReef , if the DOS is showing the expected dose amounts but your water level isn't changing much, then you likely have an air-leak in the tubing connections at the DOS head. The DOS head creates a vacuum: it will suck air instead of liquid if there's not a good seal at the head's input fitting.

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you set this up using the DOS Automatic Water Change task? Looking at that 'schedule' screenshot, you seem to have this set to run about 115 litres across a 24 hour period, is that in the AWC or manual config? the DOS will run intermittently all day. Sorry if i've missed something (only read this quick) but if I understand correctly you want to use both auto and manual DOS water changes? I may be wrong but don't think you can. Leave the thing to run just an AWC of about 0.75% water volume every morning and evening, keep things nice and stable and no need for the manual config.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the screen shots of my dashboard and the advance tab you spoke of. Apex told me to not mess with these. Lol new water is the left pump and old water is the right pump.
Screenshot_20210329-134944_APEX Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-135137_APEX Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-135439_APEX Fusion.jpg
That's not the Advanced tab I'm talking about. Go into your DOS schedule screen (like you showed in the first post), then click the gear at the top, then the Advanced tab:

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.51.55 PM.png

The code shown here in my screenshot should be on both of your DOS outputs. That's the code which stops the DOS from running once the H2O_Control output turns off 24 hours after pressing the Feed button.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok possible air leak. I have check this out, none found. This is further supported by measuring the amounts of water in and out. I do get the amounts that apex says 793ish. And no spitting of air out of either tubes. And my sump has not overfilled and with two days of running putting or pulling more water to or from I would see this in my tanks or on the floor this however is not the case

As for AWC or MWC. I set the dos up using the manual task. I am not trying to do a A an MWC at the same time. The plan is to do either or. BUT this is my test run so I'm not sure what's going on. I will say that durning the first 30 minutes of running the DOS HEAD POP off and it registered as disconnect. So I had to power it down and reconnect it..so I just wanted to do a MWC first to see how it went. I have no preference going forward

Oh that gear icon. Lol here you are. Oddly enough this Info is identical on both
Screenshot_20210329-164021_APEX Fusion.jpg

Last edited:

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way for me to confirm an air leak is to calibrate the DOS two times in a row. The second time, I expect to get exactly 40 mL from each head. If not, then there is an air leak or the head is worn out. One of my DOS heads (the old saltwater one) wore out after performing 2-gallons-per-day AWC for more than 2 years. The other head still calibrated fine but I replaced it anyways.

I don't think my AWC config is 100% as per the setup task: I don't have one of the heads run backwards: the calibration only runs forward and I'm not going to switch my tubing or move everything around each time I calibrate. I calibrate several times a year when my salinity starts to drift, usually due to uneven add/remove of AWC. I also run the ATK v1 which works very well.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it seems that this morning (start of day three)that the pumps have stopped running and the reservoir is half empty. I'm mean ok great....... but still odd. thanks yall. i could have had this 30g change done in less than an hour per my old method not sure I'm liking this slow wc. hope there is some major upside to it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back