Automatic Water changes. It doesnt get any better then this.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are pulling out and putting in with the same pump, you should be really close to same volumes.

The reason you calibrate the litermeter is because you have two different pumps.

Also, the salinity of both waters are the same, so it won't change. You'll just need to monitor the water level. My plan is to have a high float valve that would alert to any change.

jonnyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about friction loss if you're not running the tubing the exact same way. I just got the litermeter 3 and it splits the duty between 2 pumps. You have to do a calibration. Basically it records the time it takes 500ml to go from salt to tank and then tank to waste. I can tell you first hand, the times are not exactly the same. Which in your case, you'll have either more salt in or more waste out. Might be something for you to think about....

Scott.

This was a concern but dr tested it and pump pulls and push exact same water every time. Even with different head pressure and lengths. Liquid is non compressible so this why it's so consistent .

sceia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a concern but dr tested it and pump pulls and push exact same water every time. Even with different head pressure and lengths. Liquid is non compressible so this why it's so consistent .

I sorta disagree here, but if it's working for you...great. I can tell you from first hand tests that distance/route does matter. For instance, my waste water goes around 50' to the laundry room thru the attic. Now, if I time how long it takes to get 2 cups of water to the laundy as opposed to 2 cups next to the tank even with the same pump..... they are different. The pump still has to "push" the water from the tank to its destination. The amount of force to push that water changes with the resistance of the length of push. Like I said, might work in this case if the route from fresh salt and waste is the same, but something to watch for.

jonnyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he is running through attic and about 50'. I see your concern. Once the liquid is filled in the tubing liquid in both lines will be traveling at same speed. When head pressure is raised in one line of the two lines. it will automatically create more resistance on the motor. Since 1 motor for 2 pumps both pumps are slowed down thus making output even. That would not be the case with 2 pumps and 2 motors.

sceia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he is running through attic and about 50'. I see your concern. Once the liquid is filled in the tubing liquid in both lines will be traveling at same speed. When head pressure is raised in one line of the two lines. it will automatically create more resistance on the motor. Since 1 motor for 2 pumps both pumps are slowed down thus making output even. That would not be the case with 2 pumps and 2 motors.

Ah... I didn't think of that one. Either way, glad it's working out. I can tell ya I'm happy I don't have to do waterchanges manually anymore. Such a nice task to have automated. I've had mine setup almost a month and haven't been happier!

jonnyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to setup up mine. Looking to change over in January ( after holidays clean me out) lol I'm glad to see more than one person using it.

sceia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to setup up mine. Looking to change over in January ( after holidays clean me out) lol I'm glad to see more than one person using it.

Yep, I did a little research before buying it... I travel a lot with work and that's one less worry for the wife. I did notice though that I had to lower my dosing schedule when I changed over. I suppose slowly removing and adding water helps replenish alk and calc more often and less dependence on dosing between 2 or 3 week water changes...

jonnyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great. I'm in the same boat. I'm a aircraft tech and travel all over and makes me nervous leaving tank to my wife and kids. I'm waiting for apex to finally release the auto fish feeder. I will have no worries then.

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is NOT a masterflex/cole parmer pump. Looks like a modded 12v peristaltic pump with a couple of cole parmer heads on it. Those 12v peristaltic pumps are not meant for continuous duty and have a limited life. If you do a search on ebay for "masterflex pump" or "cole parmer pump" you'll see what they look like. They are medical/lab grade pumps used in hospitals for drug infusion and in medical/food labs and factories for precision dosing of chemicals. These pumps go for thousands new and you would be hard pressed to find a used one in good condition on ebay or similar site for less than $200. There is a big market for these used pumps; many of them sold on ebay are from labs or hospitals and are usually 10+ years old. While they are definitely workhorse pumps i'm not convinced they are worth the money; if the pump breaks down you cant repair it. The only replacement parts i've found are heads and tubing; nothing for the motor.

I did a LOT of research and experimented with a masterflex pump before purchasing a stenner pump. Currently, you can get a dual head stenner pump (see pic at start of this thread) for under $300 brand new. They are industrial pumps used in commercial pools and irrigation systems to dose chemicals. They are made here in the USA and every part of this pump can be replaced or repaired. I recently purchased the dual head model for an automated water change system. I currently change out 2 gal per day using the dual head stenner and my apex. I ran 3 lines of 1/4" tubing from my garage to my display tank (about 35 foot run) for this setup. It's been running for about a month now and my salinity has held constant.

When you consider the cost of some of the water change systems: Genesis $400-500, liter meter $300-400.....the stenner just makes sense. I did a more complete write up on reefcentral. These pumps can pull water up to 25feet vertically and push water more than 60+feet. This would be a great pump for people with reservoirs in their basements who want to do water changes. These pumps are NOT for everyone; they are loud, large and heavy. I would not want to put one of these in my stand or in my living room.

I understand where you are coming from but All that is needed for our application is the head. The drive unit for theses pump is from a reliable lab company Thermofisher Scientific. The drive runs at a constant 200 rpms. Not as flashy as those big master flex drives but does the same thing. Parts wise the replacement Motor is 6 bucks, tubing is 5 , bearings are 5, that is the only thing that could ever even wear out on these pumps. These master flex pumps run 1/4 x7/16 neoprene tubing, not wimpy. With the potential to run up to 600 rpm. So at 200 I'm not pushing any limits. It changes 3 gallon of water in 13 mins so worrying about if failing from continuous duty is not a concern.

I'm not familiar with the rules are we able to post ebay links?

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also - ddavies, how long have you ran this setup?

At 13min for a 3G water change, I would run it for about 4 1/2 minutes a day on my 60g to give me about 30 gallons a month.

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing is part number #51075K28 and it fits the 7024-20 master flex head. I just set up this system only have tested it. I'm working on wiring it so that it knows to stop if my salt ben is close to empty.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice setup! I will keep this in the "One day when I have a larger tank and fish room" folder with the rest of the cool gear I have no room for ;)

However is your reservoir bowing out that much? Personally I would be scared of it blowing out one day.

cdness- i bought that tank years ago from a fellow reefer. It is made of very thick plastic. And if it does burst i woudnt be very concerned as its in my garage. Worse thing that can happen is it will wet my motorcycles tires, :)

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sorta disagree here, but if it's working for you...great. I can tell you from first hand tests that distance/route does matter. For instance, my waste water goes around 50' to the laundry room thru the attic. Now, if I time how long it takes to get 2 cups of water to the laundy as opposed to 2 cups next to the tank even with the same pump..... they are different. The pump still has to "push" the water from the tank to its destination. The amount of force to push that water changes with the resistance of the length of push. Like I said, might work in this case if the route from fresh salt and waste is the same, but something to watch for.

Here's the post from reefcentral on my experiement:

In the interest of science
wink.gif
I decided to run the test.

THE TEST:
Run time 10min
estimated volume at 35gal/day = 920ml/10min

PICS:
Here's the shot from the attic
2013-11-26 10.46.00.jpg

Here's a shot of top of display
2013-11-26 10.42.32.jpg

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total volume collected
2013-11-26 10.48.41.jpg

Fresh saltwater:
2013-11-26 10.50.56.jpg

Waste water in attic:
2013-11-26 10.53.25.jpg

conclusion:
Both jugs collected 1125ml of water. This confirms the remove/replace theory.

On a special note: The pump is moving more water than I was expecting so I'll have to adjust the timing a little.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you are coming from but All that is needed for our application is the head. The drive unit for theses pump is from a reliable lab company Thermofisher Scientific. The drive runs at a constant 200 rpms. Not as flashy as those big master flex drives but does the same thing. Parts wise the replacement Motor is 6 bucks, tubing is 5 , bearings are 5, that is the only thing that could ever even wear out on these pumps. These master flex pumps run 1/4 x7/16 neoprene tubing, not wimpy. With the potential to run up to 600 rpm. So at 200 I'm not pushing any limits. It changes 3 gallon of water in 13 mins so worrying about if failing from continuous duty is not a concern. I'm not familiar with the rules are we able to post ebay links?

I cant find any specs on the thermofisher pump. Usually those 12v peristaltic pumps have a rated number of hours they are good for (200 hours i think). I hope they are strong enough to drive 2 masterflex heads. If they dont burn out too quickly they would definitely be the cheaper way to go.

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant find any specs on the thermofisher pump. Usually those 12v peristaltic pumps have a rated number of hours they are good for (200 hours i think). I hope they are strong enough to drive 2 masterflex heads. If they dont burn out too quickly they would definitely be the cheaper way to go.

This was a concern for me too, the gear reduction is close to 22:1. But once I hooked it up I felt a little safer as it sound as if it was under very little load. The motor on the end is not a little motor. It is 555 size can dc motor. If it only lasted 200 hours that would be fine a replacement is 4 bucks.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a concern for me too, the gear reduction is close to 22:1. But once I hooked it up I felt a little safer as it sound as if it was under very little load. The motor on the end is not a little motor. It is 555 size can dc motor. If it only lasted 200 hours that would be fine a replacement is 4 bucks.

would love to see one of these in action. Also, I cant find the ebay sale for the dual head.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back