Automating nano tank

View Badges
I have a fairly new 50 L tank (this is my first tank) and I might be going away for 4 weeks soon and can't really ask anyone to do water changes so I was looking at getting an auto top off and water changer.

What do people recommend? What other equipment do I need if I'm away for a while? I know the surface collects a lot of rubbish (I took out the nano tunze skimmer I had because it constantly blew bubbles into the tank.

I'm having some trouble will red hair algae at the moment and am worried about that taking over while I'm gone. Shall I get more snails? I've turned down my light and done several large water changes.

20200620_182419.jpg 20200620_182407.jpg 20200620_182336.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

A big question would be what is in you tank. Not doing a water change is not a huge issue for a month. An ATO with a reservoir that will hold at least 1.5 time the evaporation for a month will be needed. A battery backup would be great. An automatic feeder for food set to feed lightly would be best. It will feed everyone and keep the chances of spiking nutrients and that film on top lower. Depending on temperature in you area set the house for a constant temp and check the tank heaters or chillers.

I would assume you are not running a sump if you are getting surface build up. That is fine. I would recommend more flow with a pump towards the top to break surface tension, even when not away. The tank will benefit from the gas exchange.

Thats is about all I can think of. At bare minimum the ATO, food, and flow for O2 will be priorities.

OP
OP

View Badges
Evening

A big question would be what is in you tank. Not doing a water change is not a huge issue for a month. An ATO with a reservoir that will hold at least 1.5 time the evaporation for a month will be needed. A battery backup would be great. An automatic feeder for food set to feed lightly would be best. It will feed everyone and keep the chances of spiking nutrients and that film on top lower. Depending on temperature in you area set the house for a constant temp and check the tank heaters or chillers.

I would assume you are not running a sump if you are getting surface build up. That is fine. I would recommend more flow with a pump towards the top to break surface tension, even when not away. The tank will benefit from the gas exchange.

Thats is about all I can think of. At bare minimum the ATO, food, and flow for O2 will be priorities.

Thanks for this. I will look at getting the top off and pointing my powerhead up more (it only really agitates the surface on one side of the tank). I have no fish! Bit I do have cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab. Will they be ok without feeding?

As for corals I have a birdsnest SPS and a montipora frag and a lot of zoa/polp frags.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back