Automation of RODI production

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I am looking to add a bit of automation to my RODI production. After what seems like hours searching the internet, I am no wiser than when I started- and now I start to feel stupid. Anyway, here is what I plan to do with my Neptune Apex in mind. Please advise :)

Option no. 1
2 x Optical sensors in my RODI bucket
1 x Float gauge as a backup
1 x Apex Solenoid (open when bottom sensor is exposed to air- and closed when water level reaches the top sensor?

Q: Will the backpressure from the float alone be enough to stop the flow of water?

Option no. 2:
Booster pump fitted before my RODI unit
Pressure switch to switch off the booster pump
2 x Optical sensors in my RODI bucket
1 x Float gauge as a backup
1 x Apex Solenoid (open when bottom sensor is exposed to air- and closed when water level reaches the top sensor?

Q: Where to I install the pressure switch, and how exactly does it work?
Q: Is my understanding correct that the back pressure from the closed solenoid will activate the pressure switch- which in turn will stop the booster pump?
Q: Will the backpressure from the float alone be enough to activate the pressure switch if the solenoid fail?

Thank you! Feel like an absolute idiot even asking :D

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 should be fine with or without a booster pump. Either way the solenoid valve and or float will hold the line closed and your rodi will shutoff off it has the auto shutoff valve installed. I would have the high sensor shut off the solenoid and install the float a little higher as an oh crap the solenoid didn’t work shutoff. That’s how I have mine setup and it’s been fine for years. If your water pressure going into the rodi is low I would run a booster for better performance. Most homes are regulated to around 50psi ish. I run mine with a booster at 75-80psi. Good luck

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 should be fine with or without a booster pump. Either way the solenoid valve and or float will hold the line closed and your rodi will shutoff off it has the auto shutoff valve installed. I would have the high sensor shut off the solenoid and install the float a little higher as an oh crap the solenoid didn’t work shutoff. That’s how I have mine setup and it’s been fine for years. If your water pressure going into the rodi is low I would run a booster for better performance. Most homes are regulated to around 50psi ish. I run mine with a booster at 75-80psi. Good luck
Thanks a lot, i appreciate it! :)

I was considering the booster pump option as my water pressure here in the UK is fairly low; sitting on about 35 psi so not a lot of production!

With regards to the auto shutoff, i am simply not sure my system has one! Will have to check that again!

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get a better productiion rate and a better rejection rate with pressure increase.
Cheers! ;) I did make it that far in my research before giving up and probably that's the direction i will be going in!

Any advice on my questions in this regard?

Q: Is my understanding correct that the back pressure from the closed solenoid will activate the pressure switch- which in turn will stop the booster pump?

Q: Will the backpressure from the float alone be enough to activate the pressure switch if the solenoid fail?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the answer to those I do not run a booster pump as my source water is 80 psi. I just use a high/low tank controller to automate my RODI production.

I am sure there a hook up diagrams online I would look at buckeyehyro

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the answer to those I do not run a booster pump as my source water is 80 psi. I just use a high/low tank controller to automate my RODI production.

I am sure there a hook up diagrams online I would look at buckeyehyro
Allright ;) Must be nice with 80 psi unlike these old UK properties with water just dripping out..

Cheers! will have a google for buckeyehyro

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers! ;) I did make it that far in my research before giving up and probably that's the direction i will be going in!

Any advice on my questions in this regard?

Not sure if uk kits are much different than us kits but when you order a rodi booster pump I would get the auto flush upgrade if it’s not included. This replaces the flow restrictor with an electronic one on top of the pressure switch. The pressure switch goes on the output of your rodi after the last stage. The pump, auto flush, and pressure switch all have to be relatively close as it comes with pre terminated wiring. Lastly, yes either the solenoid or float valve will cause the pressure to build in the line and trigger the pressure switch to close.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Careful with pressure switches. I had one fail many years ago. Booster pump had enough pressure to even push past solenoid to continue and cause a flood that I didn't find for a couple of days.

Selnoid on the Input side. A backup float switch at top of bucket to prevent overflows.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds super complicate for an RODI container buy I'm a bit of a simpleton. Float switch on your rodi container. Done. Easy peasy and only one point of possible failure.

Same, the only addition I have is a manual cut-off before the container so that I can just turn it on once every 2-3 weeks, run a flush and then let it run overnight.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, the only addition I have is a manual cut-off before the container so that I can just turn it on once every 2-3 weeks, run a flush and then let it run overnight.
I forgot I do have shut off valves. I split the rodi so it goes into 2 brute containers, one to mix salt snd one to store rodi for ato containers. I have 3 tanks running so I like to keep rodi and salt mix on hand.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it your trying to do exactly?

Fill the reserve when it's gone automatically?

My system does this.

I have a normally closed valve controlled by apex.
2 float switches.
Apex valve for auto flush at startup and every hour.
The second, fourth and fifth pics are virtual outlets.

This is what it looks like.

Screenshot_20230614_070132_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20230614_065819_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20230614_070004_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20230614_065716_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20230614_065737_APEXFusion.jpg

So, what happens here is the water gets low, trips the normally closed valve to open and the virtual switch to start the flush on the rodi. After 1 minute, rodi production begins. Every hour, on the hour, a flush of the rodi happens. The timer also counts down. If my high float should fail and not shut off production, the timer will shut it down. I set this up by running it a few times to get the correct time. 12 hour run time for my 32 gallon brute. My timer is 12.5 hours.
After it shuts off it won't run until the low float trips. Then it goes thru the cycle again.

I also put in safety code.
Like if I have a leak. If water leaks out of the tank, I don't want my rodi to turn on so it shuts the whole system down including production.

My ato is a tunze osmolator Set up as normal. That has its own fail safes.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back