Avatar Chalice losing green color

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I ordered an Avatar chalice coral from top shelf aquatics during their 4th of July sale last month, and the coral is growing great. However, I looked at some pictures of the day I got it earlier today and noticed it used to have way more green, and that green was much more vibrant. Now there are lots of brown splotches within the green, and I'm pretty sure the splotches are growing and overtaking the green. Does this mean it is getting too much light? I did move it slightly higher up 3 weeks ago because it was stinging some other corals, but I moved it gradually and set the light to acclimation mode afterwards. The tank is a waterbox 20 cube with an AI prime 16hd with the Saxby settings (though I turned up the cool white a little bit). This is my first reef tank (my parents own a mixed tank but I don't live with them anymore) and I've never worked with chalice corals before.

20230713_125134.jpg 20230817_154740.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed top shelf aquatics (the store I got it from) but I don't expect a response tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions or theories?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back