Averytanky's Progression Thread

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my new boss used to be into saltwater tanks big time, he even created and patented his own small nitrastrate and betta tanks. SOO he has quickly gotten me into the amazing world of saltwater aquariums.

Right now i have a nano 10g that he helped me cycle, its all at generally perfect levels. And I plan for a fish only tank.

OKAY SO TO THE POINT: We set this tank up by gathering sand directly from the beach (south florida, Atlantic ocean) and saltwater from there as well. (also the blenny i caught there too)
I put in the sand, water and then decorated a bit (i waited for plants and such, which i'm sticking to fake for now, because i dont completely understand live plants and rocks yet). But, to boost the system i collected algae covered rocks and shells from the intercoastal.

After cycling completed (which was a incredibly short time compared to stories of read online) i added the clown and others, and they have been doing great for two weeks now, and i have been simply exchanging a gallon of ocean water into the tank weekly.

AND SO MY QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: is this method frowned upon? i cant find any info online relating to someone else who has done this method, but my boss acts like he knows exactly what were doing and it'll be fine. So whats your guys opinions??

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was actually full of starfish I'd found at the beach. We'd thought they were dead, but I had the idea to put them into the live well and when we got off the boat, they were crawling around!

Later on, I added a serpent starfish to this tank (from the LFS) and it didn't even make it a week. I figured the stars from the Gulf were carrying some sort of disease... I was 10 at the time and didn't ever find a solid answer. I'm surprised that the clowns are doing fine! If it works, it seems fine... Just be careful about adding LFS purchases into an ocean based tank, especially since you seem to use ocean water for water changes. Good luck!

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was actually full of starfish I'd found at the beach. We'd thought they were dead, but I had the idea to put them into the live well and when we got off the boat, they were crawling around!

Later on, I added a serpent starfish to this tank (from the LFS) and it didn't even make it a week. I figured the stars from the Gulf were carrying some sort of disease... I was 10 at the time and didn't ever find a solid answer. I'm surprised that the clowns are doing fine! If it works, it seems fine... Just be careful about adding LFS purchases into an ocean based tank, especially since you seem to use ocean water for water changes. Good luck!

Do you really think that added a new fish from my LFS would be dangerous for the fish? As long as all levels are where they should be? are you worried about disease or just the generally adjustment. I am hoping to add a bangaii cardinal. Thats my #1 on my wish list.

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just basing that off of my own experience... Even if the basic parameters (alk, mag, cal, nitrate, phosphate) are identical, there's a lot of other stuff that happens in ocean water... It could be a bacterial difference, disease, residual red tide, anything really.

If it's working with you for clowns so far, keep us updated! :) I'd like to see the progress on this tank. As far as cardinal fish, I believe they're pretty hardy so you're chances seem good. My starfish incident could have been caused by anything really.. Salinity, nitrate, I'm not sure. I didn't have test kits when I was 10. The experience just left me being cautious about adding LFS critters in with ocean critters in a tank with sand/water from the gulf.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read through some of this, it will give you a few ideas as to what the differences are.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-discussion-on-immunity.209701/

Only thing I would add is that different parts of the ocean are, well different, and they're all certainly different from artificial seawater.
I've talked with some reefers who swear by natural sea water, some that won't touch it, and some that won't use anything but.

One guy I bought a pump off of had one of the most beautiful <100 gallon tanks I've ever seen and he'd only ever used seawater from the puget sound. Cycle to water changes.

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just basing that off of my own experience... Even if the basic parameters (alk, mag, cal, nitrate, phosphate) are identical, there's a lot of other stuff that happens in ocean water... It could be a bacterial difference, disease, residual red tide, anything really.

If it's working with you for clowns so far, keep us updated! :) I'd like to see the progress on this tank. As far as cardinal fish, I believe they're pretty hardy so you're chances seem good. My starfish incident could have been caused by anything really.. Salinity, nitrate, I'm not sure. I didn't have test kits when I was 10. The experience just left me being cautious about adding LFS critters in with ocean critters in a tank with sand/water from the gulf.

I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for the responses. I'm new to R2R and it seems every time I try to ask questions I get like 1 or 2 basically useless responses.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where, exactly, are you getting the water? The beach? Keep in mind that the beach water is basically a cleaner version of skimmate in our tanks :)

Itll probably be fine for the short term, but you'll want to change to mixed salt water at some point.

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where, exactly, are you getting the water? The beach? Keep in mind that the beach water is basically a cleaner version of skimmate in our tanks :)

Itll probably be fine for the short term, but you'll want to change to mixed salt water at some point.

The beach, the Atlantic, in south Florida!

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why the use of wild sand and ocean water is frowned upon is the potential for introducing pollutants and hitch hikers. Literally everything in the ocean starts off as a microscopic larvae aside from megafuana(sharks, whales, etc).

I would get some sort of collecting license if you plan on doing this more. You need one to collect fish and inverts legally. Otherwise your setup is really cool imo. Its very unique compared to most setups.

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! My tank is still going strong! Heres a progress video, showing me feeding a little. My blennies are such enthusiastic eaters its hilarious, my clown still doesn't act too interested but does eat when i'm not looking. Does anyone else's blennies eat like this? They seem to be hungry 24/7!!

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why the use of wild sand and ocean water is frowned upon is the potential for introducing pollutants and hitch hikers. Literally everything in the ocean starts off as a microscopic larvae aside from megafuana(sharks, whales, etc).

I would get some sort of collecting license if you plan on doing this more. You need one to collect fish and inverts legally. Otherwise your setup is really cool imo. Its very unique compared to most setups.

Thank you for the info! I didn't know that, the blennies are the only thing I've caught and kept, probably won't catch anything else to keep. I wasn't really sure about the sand and water. But thank you!

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish will be ravenous eaters once they've settled down. My clown is little nightmare. He and the fairy wrasse go wild over food.

Okay thank you! I also have another question for you guys. Does anyone think I need a power head pump for this tank? I have a HOB filter for 30g or less that I figured would work but the more research I do the more I question everything lol

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9bd671f5f94e583f6ad2d4c25f326ee1.jpg

New addition!!!!! I love him!

Last edited:

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quicky... I use NSW (natural seawater) in my tank, wouldn't change it for the world. The bacteria / plankton in it is a huge bonus and levels are pretty much right where they should be. The beach isn't the best place to collect though... it tends to concentrate all the rubbish etc.

I'm in the UK and collect from the North Sea... I use a few local piers, you don't need to get far out, just a hundred yards or so and the water is as clean as the reef :)

As for the other stuff... sand, rock etc from the beach is great. The more biodiversity the better imo.

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quicky... I use NSW (natural seawater) in my tank, wouldn't change it for the world. The bacteria / plankton in it is a huge bonus and levels are pretty much right where they should be. The beach isn't the best place to collect though... it tends to concentrate all the rubbish etc.

I'm in the UK and collect from the North Sea... I use a few local piers, you don't need to get far out, just a hundred yards or so and the water is as clean as the reef :)

As for the other stuff... sand, rock etc from the beach is great. The more biodiversity the better imo.

Wow really?? Near me is really only the beach and then the intercoastal. I was beach water would best. I haven't had any problems yet other than I usually have to dilute it a little because the salinity is quite high when I get t straight from the ocean

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This is a nice little tank you have going and it seems to be working well so I'll just chip in a few thoughts. If you know this already feel free to disregard.

Most LFS are going to have salinity around 1.021 or so whereas your natural sea water is going to be higher. Not an issue as long as you drip acclimate stuff.

The biggest thing with collecting NSW is getting stuff that hasn't been contaminated (which as we know is getting harder and harder) If you're collecting it off the beach and you haven't had any problems then no worries. As mentioned about NSW has a lot benefits so rock on.

At 10 gal I dare say you're close to maxing out with the clowns, blenny and the cardinal (great little fish btw). So, its never too soon to start perusing Craigslist for the 'next tank'.

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a nice little tank you have going and it seems to be working well so I'll just chip in a few thoughts. If you know this already feel free to disregard.

Most LFS are going to have salinity around 1.021 or so whereas your natural sea water is going to be higher. Not an issue as long as you drip acclimate stuff.

The biggest thing with collecting NSW is getting stuff that hasn't been contaminated (which as we know is getting harder and harder) If you're collecting it off the beach and you haven't had any problems then no worries. As mentioned about NSW has a lot benefits so rock on.

At 10 gal I dare say you're close to maxing out with the clowns, blenny and the cardinal (great little fish btw). So, its never too soon to start perusing Craigslist for the 'next tank'.

Thank you for your tips! I don't have the cardinal yet, that was just a hope for my next. I'm current just the blenny, 1 clown and 1 shrimp.

And you're right, the salinity of the NSW so I often mix it with a bit of fresh water, and it has been working well.

There's also a small hermit in there to try to help clean up waste like I thought my blood shrimp would be my shrimp seems to be very picky and want the fresh stuff.

aea50509d44b0309a10829e59c1a6c14.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back