Baby Nassarius?

rockithard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope I got the right section here.
Wondering if someone could help ID, as I’m getting mixed ID, of no they’re whelks, and no they’re a Caribbean nassarius. There was an army of these guys gliding across the sand and climbing the glass just as my lights turned off. 3000280A-514A-4038-95D0-60831FFAF7FF.jpeg

Edit to try to add a longer clip of it in the glass.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    9.9 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    30.8 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockithard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like nassarius to me. I've got a bunch!

If they burrow in the sand, and stay there most of the time (as in you rarely see them, except when feeding the tank or in the middle of the night) then they're definitely nassarius.
They definitely do, because I had NO idea they were there haha. I added only 3 Nass snails about a year ago that I never saw again, so thought they didn’t make it. Happened to look over at the tank just as lights went out and there was an army of them all over the sand, going up the glass etc.
Someone else was telling me no way they’re Nass because they don’t breed in aquariums.
Good to know they’re good guys, because the sheer amount of them had me worried they might not be. There was at least 30 of them. Super cool. Thanks!

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that a whelk has a dark little snorkel tube where nassarius has a light colored one.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back