Baby Shark Refusing to eat

morgan_jAq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have a banded cat shark that hatched around three weeks ago. When she hatched she still had a bit of yolk so I wasn't concerned about her eating, but now her yolk has been dissolved for over two and a half weeks and she shows absolutely no interest in eating. Ive tried krill, silversides, and ghost shrimp to no avail. I tried garlic too but that didn't work either. (I did day and night feeding too. time of day means nothing to her.) I did see her eat a fish pellet once cause she's a weirdo, but only one. I resulted to force feeding because I know how crucial it is to jump start their metabolism. I am going to get octopus, squid, and salmon to blend and use to force feed, but that can't be permanent, nor do I feel it's healthy for my little baby. any one have this problem before? I know its common for them to struggle to first start eating on their own but how long is this going to last? (I know I force fed wrong the first time but I was panicked and it was late at night so the first time I force fed her I took some krill and quite literally just pushed it into her mouth. she spit it out a million times but eventually swallowed it, then I read about tube feeding and felt bad cause I didn't want to hurt her but she needed to eat she was getting lethargic) (I doubt that was useful information but I want all the details I can give) Sorry for long post and thankful for any help given!

OP
OP
morgan_jAq

morgan_jAq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my water parameters

Ammonia: 0
Phosphates: 0.04
Nitrates: 10
Nitrites: 0
Salinity: 0.025

She also has a small cut that she got from a rock I presume. She tends to wedge herself Into nooks and crannies. She also lives with a blue spot Fiji puffer, who leaves her alone and eats normally no issues.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the fresh/frozen food section of your grocery store. Get one of everything and try it all until she eats something. Make sure it's chopped very small, much smaller than her mouth. Once she's eating, you can work on transitioning her to an ideal/easy diet.

OP
OP
morgan_jAq

morgan_jAq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the fresh/frozen food section of your grocery store. Get one of everything and try it all until she eats something. Make sure it's chopped very small, much smaller than her mouth. Once she's eating, you can work on transitioning her to an ideal/easy diet.
yeah that's my next option but she refuses so I don't want her to lack any nutrients and then be too lethargic to want to eat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back