Baby Tang in a 24 gallon

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I’d say go for it with a solid plan (even considering if the growth is more than anticipated). That said, what kind of tang are we talking about?

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little experience I would like a Regal Blue.(not this tank) I would love (not this tank) a powder blue! Bristletooth are cool too!

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why people keep doing this. It doesn't matter whether your lfs buys your fish back or not. If you care about the fish hobby, do what's best for the fish, not because you selfishly want a cool looking fish for a few months. You will be stunning it's growth with a small tank. It will get stressed. It will not be happy. Get what your tank can support now.

If you want tangs, be a responsible adult and buy a bigger tank. End of story.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking... my LFS has some SUPER small tangs and I was thinking since they only grow 2inch a year I could keep one for a year or two and sell it back to the LFS. I know they need giant tanks and swim lots. But the tank is the size of a 40 cube. And I would be acting as a long term grow out tank.(title says 24 but it is a really big 24 and is larger than a bio cube 32.)
What if your tang develops HLLE in the year or two that you are growing it up? No pet store would then take it, and now you’re stuck with it as it outgrows your tank. I would choose other, smaller species.
Jay

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if your tang develops HLLE in the year or two that you are growing it up? No pet store would then take it, and now you’re stuck with it as it outgrows your tank. I would choose other, smaller species.
Jay
most fish in the majority of LFS already have HLLE but good point

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really the size of the tang that limits its tank size. It's the movement. Tangs are very active swimmers that spend all day grazing. If they do not have adequate swimming space and plenty to graze on they get stir crazy.

A 5" maroon clown would do better in a small tank than a 2" tang...

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I've ever seen a bad case of hlle at my lfs. It's been a while since I went there and it seems like there's been an uptick in diseases in the last couple years so maybe things have changed but I really doubt this.

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I've ever seen a bad case of hlle at my lfs. It's been a while since I went there and it seems like there's been an uptick in diseases in the last couple years so maybe things have changed but I really doubt this.
You should visit the lfs in south Florida..

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a post on FB of a guy that had a yellow tang in a 13.5 fluval. Ive seen tangs at petco that weren’t no longer than 2”. Op do what you want.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why people keep doing this. It doesn't matter whether your lfs buys your fish back or not. If you care about the fish hobby, do what's best for the fish, not because you selfishly want a cool looking fish for a few months. You will be stunning it's growth with a small tank. It will get stressed. It will not be happy. Get what your tank can support now.

If you want tangs, be a responsible adult and buy a bigger tank. End of story.
Thank you. This. All day long, this.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what LFS you are going to but I have only see one or two fish recently in any of the AZ stores with HLLE... one was a trade in from a local person...also a small 1 1/2 to 2 inch tang is a 50/50 chance it will live....I wish you all the best...I would also side on the side of caution and not get the tang cause it will not have enough room to really swim and may turn into a pain towards other fish...I got 6 good size tangs in my 300, and they really love to swin the full 8 feet. Next tank will be another custom build by me...a 500 to 600 like Vetteguy..

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got a silver dollar sized blue hippo tang with HLLE so bad he was basically clear. That was five months ago. Now he is around 4" and is recovering well.
I can only imagine how big he would have gotten if he started out healthy!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back