Baby Tang in a 24 gallon

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you love tangs you'll do whats best for them and keep them in appropriately sized aquariums. There is no reason to stress a tang.
If you love tangs you'll do whats best for them and keep them in appropriately sized aquariums. There is no reason to stress a tang.
i-want-an-oompa-loompa-now.gif

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby tangs grow fast. The 2 inch a year isn’t correct imo for juvis. They do slow down later in life but at that point it has already outgrown your tank.

Also trading in tangs for smaller tangs over and over is a good way to get a tank with disease and a dead fish.

How about a Pygmy angel instead? That fish will blow your baby tang away in personality and color and not outgrow your tank.

Seriously why would anyone want a tang with lateral line scars when they can have this beauty?

image_066dc093-e2ce-4b02-9c94-3a6c2f890011_1200x1200.jpg

Last edited:

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking... my LFS has some SUPER small tangs and I was thinking since they only grow 2inch a year I could keep one for a year or two and sell it back to the LFS. I know they need giant tanks and swim lots. But the tank is the size of a 40 cube. And I would be acting as a long term grow out tank.(title says 24 but it is a really big 24 and is larger than a bio cube 32.)
Definitely go for it, why not.
If the LFS is okay with taking it back once it's outgrown, there's no reason not to enjoy it in the meantime.

I've got a baby blue tang in my approx. 50 gal DT. (60 cube), Had it about 6 months and might've grown a little but not too much, still plenty of time before it out grows.
Hopefully by then the missus will let me upgrade to a larger tank. lol

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most fish in the majority of LFS already have HLLE but good point
Nope, not in the interest of the LFS to stock fish with hlle. My local store has one yellow tang in a frag tank that has it and it has been slowly healing up for almost a year. Otherwise, I never see it in stores.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby tangs grow fast. The 2 inch a year isn’t correct imo for juvis. They do slow down later in life but at that point it has already outgrown your tank.

Also trading in tangs for smaller tangs over and over is a good way to get a tank with disease and a dead fish.

How about a Pygmy angel instead? That fish will blow your baby tang away in personality and color and not outgrow your tank.

Seriously why would anyone want a tang with lateral line scars when they can have this beauty?

image_066dc093-e2ce-4b02-9c94-3a6c2f890011_1200x1200.jpg

Want to echo this suggestion. Cherub angels go in and out of the rocks all day, eat nuisance algae, and have a heck of a lot of character.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gonna dip my toes in the water with a yellow maybe, any other suggestions?
The 1.5" yellow I had barely made a year in a 55 gallon before the rest of my fish (gramma and clown) started getting bullied and I had to upsize. Would not start out that small with any tang.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have no issues with getting a fish that will outgrow its tank PROVIDED there is a solid gameplan for what to do when it happens.

Make sure that your LFS agrees to take it back later before you bring it home.

I had a baby Hippo tang in my 32g bio-cube for a while then I moved it to the 180G when it was large enough to defend itself with the larger fish in that tank.
+1 to this, I use my nano as a grow out for many fish, sometimes I’ll use it for some species that could be more sensitive to new tanks and need to be observed for a while.
during shipping some fish suffer mild cases that become almost invisible as they heal.
As I have worked in a good LFS before, I can tell you very few fish get diseases when they come in. If they get diseases it’ll be due to something else and we do sort them out. If it’s a disease that can’t be solved in the main systems, usually an LFS will have QT tanks behind the systems.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its long term only stress for the fish and yourself.
The tang might get very aggressive in such a tank and destroy/chase all other fish.

I had the same experience and didnt want to believe it until I experienced it.
I mean its cool to have a tang and all that.. but be honest, its not meant to be in there.

Guys keep asking this very question here and the most already know the answer... I mean you will do it nevertheless.
Its just you feel a bit guilty and want others to tell you: do it :D

I did it, but I will never again do it.. Especially when the plan is to bring it back to LFS and not into a larger tank.

For me this is just to have something what you cant have.. its human.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back