Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just by sheer guessing the masses of peeps inputting peroxide are using one mil per ten gallons only because it attacks most targets in that dilution while preserving nontargets except lysmatas. They can die from any degree of usage while other genera can take much more...that's still unfolding. The 1:10 may not be enough for all invasions, it's just the touted safe jump start

The highest OD I recall, thoroughly documented by Russ here, was multiple overdoses of 1:1 ratio (now that's a peroxide party) into a large sps tank to fight dinos

I think the 1:10 ratio will be the most popular dosage used T so it will be neat to see how the bac break down in those ratios, and then any wights or amplifiers like RG mentioned above are common tweaks people employ to try and get better outcomes without having to use more or a higher percentage

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you brandon!
Ya russ did a number but his tank pulled through.
What I am finding is that h2o2 breaks down (I presume) the outer shell of the bacteria.
All my water samples are turning red leaving a bright green cyano mat. 10 mm X 10 mm test subjects.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note - Microscrubbing does wonders.

@twilliard really knows his stuff.
Thank you!
When I first got cyanobacteria back in November I was determined to study this bacteria.
My first question to myself...
Why when you siphon it out it comes right back?
Then I said.. Todd.. duh! It's a bacteria and you can't see its individual form! Any left behind will reproduce rapidly and hence it comes back.
So now people say.. use chemiclean. Well why spend the time dealing with low O2 and having to change water? There has to be a different method that is more user friendly!

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
When I first got cyanobacteria back in November I was determined to study this bacteria.
My first question to myself...
Why when you siphon it out it comes right back?
Then I said.. Todd.. duh! It's a bacteria and you can't see its individual form! Any left behind will reproduce rapidly and hence it comes back.
So now people say.. use chemiclean. Well why spend the time dealing with low O2 and having to change water? There has to be a different method that is more user friendly!

You are definitely on the right track...have you did any case studies on microscrubbing?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard is at it again! :) Can't wait to see what you find.

There is a loosely related article I came across recently which you might find interesting. It talks about which cleaning products are effective at knocking down bacteria in your home. H2O2 came out on top in most cases. They have a fair bit of depth in the article and you might be able to pull out a few useful nuggets from it.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-germs-the-best

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard is at it again! :) Can't wait to see what you find.

There is a loosely related article I came across recently which you might find interesting. It talks about which cleaning products are effective at knocking down bacteria in your home. H2O2 came out on top in most cases. They have a fair bit of depth in the article and you might be able to pull out a few useful nuggets from it.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-germs-the-best
That is awesome! Thank you for that link :)

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm willing to roll the dice. Just how often and how long. The 1:10 ratio sounds right

jamie callard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Inuse peroxide top clean my filter socks so would be Nice to have another use for it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and at what percentage of hydrogen peroxide to dose with?:) Dealing with cyno right now my tank. :( don't we just love algae.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and at what percentage of hydrogen peroxide to dose with?:) Dealing with cyno right now my tank. :( don't we just love algae.
I am not along far enough to give solid numbers yet. My new scope will be here Friday then I can move along.
Bacteria is an interesting organism in our tanks :)

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I used H2O2 to fight dinos. I dosed 1ml/10 gallons for 10 days every night. At that time I read a post saying that would be more effective to dose it during the day. The link Randy shared report increase of effectiveness with higher PAR and UV. Any thoughts on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back