Back from a long hiatus

Retro Heat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it seems like I'm back from a long hiatus. I had 3 reef tanks during college all the way up to about 10 years ago. What happened 10 years ago? I got married, had 2 kids, moved 2 times, etc. And, somewhere along the way, I gave up the reefing hobby. But, recently I've had the itch to start up a tank. So, about 2 weeks ago I bought the Aqueon 14 gal cube during the sale at Petco. Since then... I bought a 20-pound bag of live sand, and 40 pounds of base rock (planning to build my aquascape with 15-20 pounds and I'll keep the rest in storage) and started building my stand (see attached pic). I still need to build a door and possibly a drawer for the stand, pick up an RO-DI unit, some salt, a lighting setup (possibly noopsyche K7 mini), maybe a skimmer (not too sure), and some other stuff along the way when needed. Just wanted to say hi to the R2R community.

PS: The stand is built out of 1/2 baltic birch and the top is the exact dimensions of the 14 gal cube. I left the inside the raw birch color and I stained the outside in espresso. Waiting on the stain to dry then I'll put about 5 layers of poly.

PPS: Does anyone know how heavy a fully loaded 14 gal cube will weigh? I tested my build with 200 pounds overnight and it was rock solid. Just wanted to make sure this would be enough.

6770766451099128205.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Retro Heat

Retro Heat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I think the Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) web site has some calculators that would help you get close.
thanks... checked it out and there isn't a weight calculator. I checked another site and it said about 150 pounds with water. I think I'm going to test it at 250 for a week just to be sure. I'm pretty confident that it can support way more since the weight transfer goes from the top to bottom on 3 sides and I braced it from racking with a whole bunch of glue, screws, and 5 cross braces. But, can never be too careful. And, I might as well test it since the tank isn't up and running yet. =)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back