OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still fighting tank issues. 99% sure my tank has been having a dino out break, if Amazon would get my microscope to me I could confirm dino. Its taken forever to ship, should get it by nov 13th and I ordered it last month, original delivery date was oct 2nd. So I have been taking more action to fight the dino. Bubble scrubbing, letting my water get dirtier, dosing bacteria heavier and dosing 4ml of h202 to the skimmer intake daily. More sps are dieing on my and the film of dino has spreqd over more of the sand qnd onto the rock. Im going to pull out all my corals and run the tank FOWLR with no lights for a while.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered more MB7 and some MB Clean to continue the heavy bacteria dosing to bet the good bacteria population back up. Also decided to try out the secret weapon on the fight against dinos, DinoX. Going to try these first before basically shutting down and restarting my reef. Still doing the bubble scrubbing and h2o2 at 4 mls directly to the skimmer daily. So far I think I have seen a little bit of a slow down in the dino growth. Oh still no microscope, thanks Amazon.

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered UV? Jebao ones on amazon are pretty cheap. Seen quite a few videos that helped cure Dino’s so I picked one up. Worked for me.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered UV? Jebao ones on amazon are pretty cheap. Seen quite a few videos that helped cure Dino’s so I picked one up. Worked for me.
Really not wanting to add UV. Never been a fan and feel it could remove good things along with bad. Plus I just dont want more equipment in my stand. If it really comes down to it I may consider adding UV. For now going to try to beat it naturally with "dirty" water and bacterial dosing. My ph has also been low for awhile now, 7.7x at night and 7.9x in the day. Now that it's cooler out opening a window at night has helped get the ph to 8.0x to 8.1x. A co2 scurbber would help a lot but again I dont want add more clutter into the stand.

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done an ICP test,?, forgive me if you have. I was plagued by problems initially on my new system. It was metals in the tank.
I do agree also that NSW levels are what you should shoot for.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done an ICP test,?, forgive me if you have. I was plagued by problems initially on my new system. It was metals in the tank.
I do agree also that NSW levels are what you should shoot for.
I did one a few months ago when my issues started. Everything came back good.

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed your thread for a while as I was dealing with the same issues for a while. I recently had a cyano outbreak I couldn't beat for the life of me. Someone suggested Vibrant so I tried it and followed the dosing recommendations. I couldnt believe it but the cyano was gone in two days and the tank has never been so clean and clear. My wife's tank is newer and going through diatom outbreak so I used it on her tank. Again, a week later and the tank is clear and the diatoms are gone. I use chemicals as a last resort and never had such a dramatic improvement with any product as I did with Vibrtant. May be worth a shot.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My supplies from BRS came in today. Dosed the tank with MB7 and MB Clean. Going to try the bacteria method for a week and see how the unconfirmed dinos react. If it goes well I will continue dosing bacteria until the dino is gone. I am seeing cyano and some green hair algae for the past couple of weeks so hopefully that is a sign of increased diversity. On a side note the bacteria dosing has made my no3 and po4 drop a little. So that's the plan so far but I have a bottle of Dino X waiting if needed as plan B. At this point I dont know if saving the remaining sps is possible but they are hanging on. So if I loose the rest of the sps it will suck but at least I won't have to stress about them and just concentrate getting the tank clean and back on track. Then I will think about sps more.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the microscope! Took long enough, a month late on the day. Anyways going to slap some AAs in there and see if I cant put an ID on this brown crap. I will report back with my findings...

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep dinoflagellates, confirmed. Alive, moving and thriving unfortunately.
20191102_185245.jpg
20191102_185259.jpg

So now the plan is to use Dino X starting with lights out tonight. Bacteria dosing is not really helping much and between Live Rock Enhance, MB7 and MB Clean the tank has been heavily dosed with good bacteria.
Some sad current tank shots too. 20191102_184601.jpg 20191102_183746.jpg 20191102_183758.jpg 20191102_183810.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep dinoflagellates, confirmed. Alive, moving and thriving unfortunately.
20191102_185245.jpg
20191102_185259.jpg

So now the plan is to use Dino X starting with lights out tonight. Bacteria dosing is not really helping much and between Live Rock Enhance, MB7 and MB Clean the tank has been heavily dosed with good bacteria.
Some sad current tank shots too. 20191102_184601.jpg 20191102_183746.jpg 20191102_183758.jpg 20191102_183810.jpg
I tried Dino x in my frag tank with terrible results. The only thing it killed was my corals.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most of my corals are already dead or dieing apart form the few soft corals and lps. If this does not work then I will be restarting the tank anyways.
I held on to the bottle for probably 6 months too nervous to try it in my display. The Dino’s seemed to just disappear after I added a good uv sterilizer. After I started my frag tank the Dino’s were horrible so I finally tried the dino x, since all I had in there were some montis and zoas that didn’t mean the world to me. All the polyps started retracting after the first couple doses and everything ended up dying after that. So I just left it as a fish only system for a couple months with 5 hours of light and the Dino’s went away. I started cutting some more corals and added a black egg crate and they’ve returned to plague like proportions. I’m actually in the middle of a blackout right now. I hope you have better success.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held on to the bottle for probably 6 months too nervous to try it in my display. The Dino’s seemed to just disappear after I added a good uv sterilizer. After I started my frag tank the Dino’s were horrible so I finally tried the dino x, since all I had in there were some montis and zoas that didn’t mean the world to me. All the polyps started retracting after the first couple doses and everything ended up dying after that. So I just left it as a fish only system for a couple months with 5 hours of light and the Dino’s went away. I started cutting some more corals and added a black egg crate and they’ve returned to plague like proportions. I’m actually in the middle of a blackout right now. I hope you have better success.
I had them too, pretty sure they were dinos at least (snotty brown, bubbles, long). White crate, black crate, no discrimination. The frag tank was all new 100% water, established LR and two small fish. Came about week 2 ish, but went away after dirtying up the tank, not cleaning the glass and dosing NO3 and letting food go to waste in the tank.

OP, good luck on the reboot if you have to, at this point too late anyway, let’s see how the treatment goes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried DinoX and believe it did nothing for me. I had similar loss with SPS and other coral and went to battle.
HERE IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME:
I went 0% white and 10% blue as there were corals in tank. I ran blue 6 hours during the day.
AT NIGHT , I added 1.5ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons during black out. After 5 day blackout as this is a very large tank, I did a good siphoning. Each day I used a turkey baster and blew the dino loose directing it towards overflow to sump. At sump I used filter socks to entrap the loose dino. I rinsed socks each day as I used mesh type.
YOU MUST STOP USE OF ANY CORAL FOOD SUCH AS REEF ROIDS AND RED SEA a+b AS THEY ARE FOOD/FUEL FOR DINOS. after 5 DAYS, I USED 1ML PER 10 GALLONS FOR ANOTHER 5 DAYS AND INCREASED BLUES TO 24% AND WHITES STILL AT 0.
At this point the dinos drastically diminished or vanished. Each day , I still used turkey baster and blasted all around coral to assure the death of Dinos.
It has been 4 months and Dinos is completely gone and I dose .5 ml of peroxide every night and will do until end of the year. My lights are back to normal schedule and my coral have Taken off and growing nicely.
I have No microscope but do have experience. Here is tank below and I could not be happier.
** You may get light Cyano after treatment, and this can be fought much easier, Should last more than a week.
BEST OF LUCK. I know I have mentioned this to others and have had at least two dozen persons thank me up and down as it worked for them also.

660g 11.1b.jpg
660g 10.31b.jpg
660g 10.28c.jpg

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i threw away the last of the Red Sea A and B, only caused issues. Stopped Reef Roids several weeks ago. Still feeding the fish well. No water changes and stopped dosing Bionic 2 part as per Dino X instructions. Dosing no3 as needed to keep it detectable.
This tank been a totally different animal then all of my past tanks. Not sure why or whatbit is about this one since not much is different than my old setups. I am running a bit better and larger skimmer, more flow, same tank and sump size, very similar sump design, improved overflow and drains. Using a little less rock and this rock is not fresh collected and cured live rock but second hand rock that was cooked and cured and from unknown sources. All rock looked(s) good and had(s) plenty of life on it, coraline, pods, worms, sponges ect. Cycled the tank slow and added fish and corals slow. Went from becoming an awesome tank to what you see now loosing several nice sps along the way.
20190605_190526_resized.jpg
Berfore when the tank was going well and and after.

20191102_183810.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah i threw away the last of the Red Sea A and B, only caused issues. Stopped Reef Roids several weeks ago. Still feeding the fish well. No water changes and stopped dosing Bionic 2 part as per Dino X instructions. Dosing no3 as needed to keep it detectable.
This tank been a totally different animal then all of my past tanks. Not sure why or whatbit is about this one since not much is different than my old setups. I am running a bit better and larger skimmer, more flow, same tank and sump size, very similar sump design, improved overflow and drains. Using a little less rock and this rock is not fresh collected and cured live rock but second hand rock that was cooked and cured and from unknown sources. All rock looked(s) good and had(s) plenty of life on it, coraline, pods, worms, sponges ect. Cycled the tank slow and added fish and corals slow. Went from becoming an awesome tank to what you see now loosing several nice sps along the way.
20190605_190526_resized.jpg
Berfore when the tank was going well and and after.

20191102_183810.jpg
This looks all too familiar but you can and will win the battle.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. On the 3rd dose of DinoX and so far so good. It has not killed all my corals right away at least. I am following the Fauna Marin detailed directions very closely. Dosing every 2nd day, mh lights off and only mininal blues, no dosing, no carbon, skimmer on, no water changes, no coral foods. The corals are not enjoying the very low lighting for sure. Last night I scrubbed off the rock and stirred up the sand to hopefully get as much of the dinos into the water column as possible. Hopefully to be removed by the filter sock, skimmer and killed by the DinoX. I think I have and ID on the type of dino, amphidinium seems to be what I am dealing with. Thats about all I have for now.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back