Back in the hobby after almost 20 years!

epidemos82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I just setup a reef tank after being out of the hobby for almost 20 years! Man, have things changed since then! I use to have a 120gal reef tank that was "powered" by 2x250w metal halide bulbs and 440w of blue actinic fluorescents. I don't miss the power bill and the need to change the bulbs so frequently. What a pain! I went relatively small for this build... a WaterBox 60.2 with a Ecotech XR15 G5 Pro that fits nicely in a little niche in my home. I set it up in August and am now in my 6th month! I unfortunately have been battling dinos for the last couple months, which was not a problem when I use to be in reefing. Granted, I started with REAL live rock from Fiji and Tonga. I think we are better as a hobby using aquacultured or synthetic live rock, but it has its pros and cons. One con is that we just can't replicate the diversity we use to get from real live rock, and I feel that is the reason people have been battling with more dinos. That of course came with lots of stowaways and unwanted pests, but I kinda miss finding new critters in the tank. Anyways, I am just happy to be back in it! I am located in Orlando, FL and am lucky enough to be a shortish drive from WWC! I am also a research scientist by profession. So this hobby is right up my alley! Hopefully there is more enjoyment than frustration in my future!

IMG_7279.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ll find that the people here are awesome, ready to help, and quite knowledgeable. We’re glad you joined! Hopefully you’ll start a build thread so we can see your reef as it progresses.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I just setup a reef tank after being out of the hobby for almost 20 years! Man, have things changed since then! I use to have a 120gal reef tank that was "powered" by 2x250w metal halide bulbs and 440w of blue actinic fluorescents. I don't miss the power bill and the need to change the bulbs so frequently. What a pain! I went relatively small for this build... a WaterBox 60.2 with a Ecotech XR15 G5 Pro that fits nicely in a little niche in my home. I set it up in August and am now in my 6th month! I unfortunately have been battling dinos for the last couple months, which was not a problem when I use to be in reefing. Granted, I started with REAL live rock from Fiji and Tonga. I think we are better as a hobby using aquacultured or synthetic live rock, but it has its pros and cons. One con is that we just can't replicate the diversity we use to get from real live rock, and I feel that is the reason people have been battling with more dinos. That of course came with lots of stowaways and unwanted pests, but I kinda miss finding new critters in the tank. Anyways, I am just happy to be back in it! I am located in Orlando, FL and am lucky enough to be a shortish drive from WWC! I am also a research scientist by profession. So this hobby is right up my alley! Hopefully there is more enjoyment than frustration in my future!

IMG_7279.JPG
welcome back! wish you all the best in this magnificent hobby.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.3%
Back