Back to T5 s

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting my ATI T5s back on, removing my G6s all together( tired of the app). After checking par levels; I need to install a dimmable ballast but don’t have a controller for this fixture. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do this? The space looks tight in the light fixture so I am scratching my head on this one.
You will see probably lots of LED users getting hurt by the fact that you are going full T5s. LOL! Ignore them! T5s are great!

Please ignore PAR readings and go full ATI power over that system. You won't need a dimmer!!!!! Forget PAR!! Just make sure you adapt the system well diminishing the hours a day and/or number of bulbs in the beginning to adapt the system to the new lights.
It will be easier than you think!
You will love the results of T5s!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see probably lots of LED users getting hurt by the fact that you are going full T5s. LOL! Ignore them! T5s are great!

Please ignore PAR readings and go full ATI power over that system. You won't need a dimmer!!!!! Forget PAR!! Just make sure you adapt the system well diminishing the hours a day and/or number of bulbs in the beginning to adapt the system to the new lights.
It will be easier than you think!
You will love the results of T5s!
There are pros and cons for every light source . I have always had t5’s from the beginning so wouldn’t be able to comment on leds . But I do not like the shimmer of light on the bottom from leds . And mostly why I haven’t changed .
That being said with t5’s a few things I accept are 1) higher electricity consumption
2) heat from the bulbs
3) replacement costs ,

No playing with settings to adjust spectrum or intensity

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want plug and play, t5's will grow acros, no fuss, no tweaking, no fancy ramping, just straight acro loving light. Personally, I have moved to a Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 pro and 4xt5, which I am getting really nice results. I use t5 for 7 hour full spectrum photo period. I still put heavy whites into the led mix during this time, and the look reminds me of halide/t5 combo, with the benefit of that 2 hour before and after blue period. Note, I have never used a par meter, don't know, don't care. I simply chose led settings and have slowly ramped to current ones. Both led and t5 11" off surface.
Cheers

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say 200 par at the bottom of the tank is BLASTING light. That is pretty much optimal for lps and zoa/most softies. I would say perfect par would be 100-200 but it is what it is.

I made the switch on my current tank from leds,to T5 supplemented with leds once my heatsink ever shows up. 2x Giesemann Actinic Blue,1 Giesemann Super Actinic and 1x KZ Super Blue. Will be supplemented with DIY bar with 385nm-450nm diodes.

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say 200 par at the bottom of the tank is BLASTING light. That is pretty much optimal for lps and zoa/most softies. I would say perfect par would be 100-200 but it is what it is.

I made the switch on my current tank from leds,to T5 supplemented with leds once my heatsink ever shows up. 2x Giesemann Actinic Blue,1 Giesemann Super Actinic and 1x KZ Super Blue. Will be supplemented with DIY bar with 385nm-450nm diodes.
Again, that’s with everything on, it blasts the tank, half lights are now removed with a par at 200 now. This has been resolved, thanks

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons for every light source . I have always had t5’s from the beginning so wouldn’t be able to comment on leds . But I do not like the shimmer of light on the bottom from leds . And mostly why I haven’t changed .
That being said with t5’s a few things I accept are 1) higher electricity consumption
2) heat from the bulbs
3) replacement costs ,

No playing with settings to adjust spectrum or intensity
You forgot to put more things you accept:
4) Great growth.
5) Amazing color pigment formation.
6) Excellent growth.
7) All that without even thinking about your light fixture until you need to change those bubs.
It is a breeze to have T5s!

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want plug and play, t5's will grow acros, no fuss, no tweaking, no fancy ramping, just straight acro loving light. Personally, I have moved to a Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 pro and 4xt5, which I am getting really nice results. I use t5 for 7 hour full spectrum photo period. I still put heavy whites into the led mix during this time, and the look reminds me of halide/t5 combo, with the benefit of that 2 hour before and after blue period. Note, I have never used a par meter, don't know, don't care. I simply chose led settings and have slowly ramped to current ones. Both led and t5 11" off surface.
Cheers
I’m running the same. Photon sitting on top of 4 t5 fixture. I also have 2 small aquaknight leds all around 12 inch off a 75 gallon.

mid be interested in your photon channel settings? I feel my look is too white during the day.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the same. Photon sitting on top of 4 t5 fixture. I also have 2 small aquaknight leds all around 12 inch off a 75 gallon.

mid be interested in your photon channel settings? I feel my look is too white during the day.
RB & UV peak @ 90%
Cool Blue @ 90%
White @ 25%
Red/Green @ 20%

Screenshot_20221216_180849_Reef Nexus.jpg

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RB & UV peak @ 90%
Cool Blue @ 90%
White @ 25%
Red/Green @ 20%

Screenshot_20221216_180849_Reef Nexus.jpg
Ahh ok I think my peak so far is 40 on blues and 22 on whites. That’s getting me 300 ish par at top and 200-250 around my acros.

I prob could do 40 blue channels and 10 white % like you have

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, what's the best place to buy 54w t5 ho bulbs? Going to add a single or dual bulb fixture off my leds mounting arms. Thank you

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back