Back to the drawing board...ALK and Cal

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info regarding that product. I have Red Sea mag liquid for dosing when testing shows necessity. Will definitely keep an eye on that parameter so I may also maintain the stability there via dosing as/if necessary outside of water changes.
Here's more info from another thread:

The magnesium in kalk+2 is not useful and incredibly misleading. Here I detail how not useful it is:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-kalk-stirrer-brands-types.225280/

from those who do not care to switch to another thread, here's the short story:

1. Magnesium is not soluble in limewater, so it will just sit on the bottom

2. The amount present in kalk+2 (Brightwell claims 0.15%) is not nearly enough to meet the demand for magnesium based on that amount of calciuma nd alkalintiya dded (which might, however, be adequately met by water changes with a salt mix with plenty of magnesium).

3. The amount of magnesium in kalk+2 is LESS than is present in many bulk brands of calcium hydroxide as an impurity. :D

I did a calculation in that thread that, even if one ignores basic chemistry and incorrectly assumes all of the magnesium that Brightwell claims to be in the product gets into the tank water, at a dosing of 1% of the tank water volume daily using saturated limewater, the amount of magnesium added per day is too small to be noticed (0.02 ppm per day).

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found that my sand is calcifying...

Stopped all dosing. On the floor pitching a tantrum. Lol.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of thing used to happen to me, and I was definitely dosing too much due to precipitation issues, it was a primary driver for my switching to a calcium reactor setup.

I hope that you get it worked out soon, best of luck!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good calcium reactor you get to stop dosing, except testing magnesium you will have to dose even if you put some mag media in the reactor.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Has anybody read the verbiage on the Brightwells salt mix?

Last edited:

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a DOS so adjustments are simple - one value change right from your phone. Just wait two or three days, test, calculate the drop, and then put that in for both. Test 24 hours later. Adjust. Test 48 hours later. Adjust. Test every week. Adjust.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, you really should have a CaRx on this tank, not dosing two part.
Eventually I'll even be switching my 120g over! Just waiting for demand to pic up.
Not only will it be MUCH cheaper to run, you will be adding other minor trace elements besides just alk and calc.
You also shouldn't have any problems like you are experiencing with out of balance parameters.
I went through the same things with my old 350g system. 300 ml of Alk a day and not nearly as much Calc. Couldn't get it balance, always seemed to be fiddling with it, and got tired of spending so much on the stuff.
Switched to a solid CaRx setup and loved it.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ I concur, I much prefer a CRx but some have a hard time understanding how they work and prefer a balling method. I do not feel that they are complex, but for those that do, the fully saturated versions like the DaStaCo are super simple to use.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ I concur, I much prefer a CRx but some have a hard time understanding how they work and prefer a balling method. I do not feel that they are complex, but for those that do, the fully saturated versions like the DaStaCo are super simple to use.
I would love to have a DaStaCo :D but their media provides no trace elements. :(

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need that though.
People have problems because they cheap out on the equipment.
As long as you have a good DUAL STAGE regulator and a good feed pump, as well as a way to monitor the effluent pH, it's so easy and rock solid.
Let it run at a steady drip 24/7 and all you have to do is keep an eye on Alk, and pretty much forget about Calc.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,
You don't need it but (lol)... I like it.
If I went back to a cal reactor then I would buy a 2 stage GEO and use @hybridazn method. :)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found that my sand is calcifying...

Stopped all dosing. On the floor pitching a tantrum. Lol.

Just make the switch, I posted in your other thread about the CaRX.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make the switch, I posted in your other thread about the CaRX.
I like your second video too.
It shows the flow rate as a bench mark, for others.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, I do not think it that complex. But many do and abandon the CRx because of their difficulty understanding it.

The saturated method eliminates one of the variables and makes upping your Alk/Ca as easy as turning up one dial.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell has a tendency to say strange things. What in particular?
Randy,
I just re-read the label and it looks like they finally dropped all those decimal points in their verbiage. If so, then good for them. :)

Regards, GoVols

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back