Back to the Nano. My SPS dominant 22 gallon Fiji Cube (some LPS)

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do get spoiled living next to the ocean. Heading down to get some water now. But I do also make my own water. I built a 8 stage RODI system that would give me 150g+ if I needed it. but it is just really nice to fill a 5 gallon jug in less than 20 mins (temp depending) The NSW near me has a bit of extra things a my mix does not. For eg; it has a some phosphates (There are some natural heat vents nearby that has something to do with it) and no nitrates and on my 40 it seems my phosphates are always low so I can add that without raising nitrates.
I am grateful for where I live and like I said spoiled.

I live close to the ocean also. About a 30 minute drive, you're probably on the water? I am there a lot. I've always thought about bringing water back to put in the tank.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live near the coast, but there’s nowhere near enough that I’d trust even if I had a car.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prelim rock is in. Taking a break to contemplate changes before sand goes in.
761B36D8-A53F-4328-B435-F9AAE1FF8685.jpeg
F353B9E9-CB86-43CD-A602-BFDD8FCBA2B9.jpeg

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first good stuff. Got the sand in and tank filled. And switched Nero and it’s up and running. Now for a bit of not so good. dummy me did something pretty lame. I killed my brand new return pump by forgetting that the plug was in the rear sump area. Got you beat in the I can’t believe that moment @Not woodyarmadillo . Ive got a cheapie coming tomorrow from Amazon. Also replacing the Sicce pump with a Jebao adjustable.
23C55E77-42F9-480E-BCA2-FE77AC6C31C6.jpeg

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first good stuff. Got the sand in and tank filled. And switched Nero and it’s up and running. Now for a bit of not so good. dummy me did something pretty lame. I killed my brand new return pump by forgetting that the plug was in the rear sump area. Got you beat in the I can’t believe that moment @Not woodyarmadillo . Ive got a cheapie coming tomorrow from Amazon. Also replacing the Sicce pump with a Jebao adjustable.
don’t worry I’ll be back on top in the “reefing dumb mistakes” category soon.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which return pump where you using? Did it have power to it when it got wet? might be salvageable...

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which return pump where you using? Did it have power to it when it got wet? might be salvageable...
Nope. Total destruction. The entire thing was in the back area. Got careless. Found a cheapie on Amazon for 16 bucks. Looking for more permanent solution . Possibly an IM branded one

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Total destruction. The entire thing was in the back area. Got careless. Found a cheapie on Amazon for 16 bucks. Looking for more permanent solution . Possibly an IM branded one
FYI the mighty jet pumps they sell are pretty great IMO. In my 14g I have it on the very lowest setting and it’s moving a lot of water.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live close to the ocean also. About a 30 minute drive, you're probably on the water? I am there a lot. I've always thought about bringing water back to put in the tank.
I feel I get a lot of great benefits from ocean water. I know many in the industry use it also. Some do different things to it depending on the system they are running. Raising the salinity and alkalinity is common in our area. My friend who runs a Aquaculture hatchery for breeding mussels and oysters bleaches his water to eliminate the organics (have to because of they are meant for human consumption) then uses sodium thiosulfate to dissipate the chlorine.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI the mighty jet pumps they sell are pretty great IMO. In my 14g I have it on the very lowest setting and it’s moving a lot of water.
I’ve had two IM tanks now. Like the Mighty Jets quite a bit.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my fiji 10g I am running a sicce syncra .5 or a 1 I can remember. but the AC one. I am pretty happy with it. I don’t need a DC pump for such a small return pump I would just match the pump for the desired output. It is going to be a set and forget anyway. My 30L came with a mighty jet DC but if it didn’t I think I would get a Sicce Syncra for it. Now bigger pumps, That is were you get a DC advantage.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! So on these, they’re a little different. The outlet plug actually needs to be plugged into a wall outlet instead of being submerged in the sump area.
I’ve got two of this exact model running my SR60.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back