Back to the reef!

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been about 15 years or so since I have had a tank, divorce and life will do that to you right?! :D;)

With an achilles tendon that isn't healing most of my main hobbies are off the table for the foreseeable future/forever so instead of blowing all my money on running shoes and gravel/road/mountain bikes I decided it might be time to blow all my money on a reef.

I was a fish geek at a big box retailer when I was young and worked at a LFS when I wasn't as young. Developing a love for all things aquarium related but reefs/salt was where I really feel in love. I dabbled in small tanks, with 12 and 24g AIOs that rocked octopus, all varieties of other sizes up to a 90. My last was my favorite. A 75 with a killer Power Compact set up (it's been a while!!) and "eel tubes" in a DSB that managed to trap every hermit crab in the system but kept my snowflake happy. He was no bigger around than a number two pencil when I got him (maybe an exaggeration but not by much) and was a healthy 18" when I had to get ride of him and that tank. :(

It was the last tank I had but won't be the last I have. I am starting the planning phase of my dream tank (b/c I am tired of waiting, it's only been 42 years but who's counting?) and am currently trying to get the courage to post about the plan I have put together so far.

I have really enjoyed lurking and doing some research before signing up so hopefully I can continue to learn and lean on everyone's experience as SMEs!!! :cool:

Oh, and sorry in advance for probably being "that guy" that asks the question b/c he can't figure out how to do the right search to get the answer for his question!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I still spend enough on bikes for the both of us. I need to order Mavic wheels for my gravel bike, and I have a Specialized Fuel 9.2.

My GT Grade just lost it's rear brakes mid ride, it made that first right hander when I found out a little more exciting than I had hoped. I've got my Grade that I had been riding a lot on gravel and regular road riding and a basic GT mtn bike I had been crashing all over Ohio on but then I partially tore my achilles and had surgery. It has been hit or miss since.

I had hoped to have a new bikepacking rig and a new mtn bike by now. Maybe even a lighter bike to head up Pike's Peak on but I get about one short ride in and have to lay off for a week or two until the foot settles down!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GT Grade just lost it's rear brakes mid ride, it made that first right hander when I found out a little more exciting than I had hoped. I've got my Grade that I had been riding a lot on gravel and regular road riding and a basic GT mtn bike I had been crashing all over Ohio on but then I partially tore my achilles and had surgery. It has been hit or miss since.

I had hoped to have a new bikepacking rig and a new mtn bike by now. Maybe even a lighter bike to head up Pike's Peak on but I get about one short ride in and have to lay off for a week or two until the foot settles down!
That sucks. I am working 80 hours a week this summer so no biking. They are making some headway on Rails to Trails out here. I am looking forward to some good trails in the next couple of years. I am only 10 miles from the Continental Divide Trail. It's a blast for what little stuf I have done on it. Give yourself plenty of time and hopefully all will heal.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I am working 80 hours a week this summer so no biking. They are making some headway on Rails to Trails out here. I am looking forward to some good trails in the next couple of years. I am only 10 miles from the Continental Divide Trail. It's a blast for what little stuf I have done on it. Give yourself plenty of time and hopefully all will heal.

Ever hear of little town called Pinedale or White Pine Ski Resort over in Wyoming?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I rarely make it into Wyoming. But I am only 90 miles from Big Sky. Great downhill.

I lived in Pinedale for about a year working on an energy efficiency program. Last time I was in West Yellowstone was 2018 for the Yellowstone 5k & 1/2 marathon in '18...about 6 months before partially tearing my achilles! That was a fairly epic 2 week road trip! What I wouldn't give to get back to WY or MT for good!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cancelled that run this year. I ride that trail all the time for a quick little ride. WY is bad for reefing though. Water is great, but nearest LFS is Bozeman and it sucks. SLC is 5 hours. Can only have live stock shipped about 5 months out of the year. You should come visit, I work at a couple of hotels. Might be able to get you a deal on a room.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back