Bacteria Additives

jabell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my tank a little over a month ago. I have been carbon dosing NOPOX since the beginning. I am wondering if I should use any bacteria in a bottle product regularly? My nitrates have been staying at 4ppm for a couple weeks now. Trying to get them lower with the NOPOX. Will adding bacteria help in conjunction with the carbon dosing?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you just cycling your tank I wouldnt add anything. The tank isnt doing anything yet. Let the cycle work. It needs to find its own balance and if you give it crutches it never learns to walk. use additives last.
your nitrates will drop when the cycle is working.
I have a home depot bucket w a powerhead in the basement w water sand and rock.
Perfect parameters.
I dump old tank water in it from time to time to feed it till im ready to make it my QT.

weird right? ahh nature.

this is also why its reccomended to add livestock slowly, as more food and poo are added to the system the bacterial colonies increase in population to break down the organics. It only when this is ignored or massively overfed or under filtered and skimmed folks have problems and turn to additives.

I use in emergency prime stability and yes I used Fiji mud as one bacterial seed source.

OP
OP
jabell

jabell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I figured more time would probably be the answer. I just figured that carbon dosing would have the effect of steadily lowering nitrates over time. I haven't seen a change in nitrates in weeks. The tank cycled through ammonia and nitrites in the first two weeks. Nitrates started around 40ppm. Now down to 4 and staying there.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I figured more time would probably be the answer. I just figured that carbon dosing would have the effect of steadily lowering nitrates over time. I haven't seen a change in nitrates in weeks. The tank cycled through ammonia and nitrites in the first two weeks. Nitrates started around 40ppm. Now down to 4 and staying there.
what did you use to seed the tank for the cycle?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the concept of bacterial diversity. And non canned bacteria's.
I mentioned the Fiji mud by walt smith, youll get some in foods esp oysters, you got some in the live sand if you used it and youll get more from fish and corals as you add.
So its a comfort factor and availability where you live. I get real seawater so thats my main source, plus careful live rock selection(and cleaning) from my favorite local fish stores.. Paul B gets clams and oysters and plants from the ocean to feed his fish. so imo its like choosing good foods for good gut health in humans.

With the Walt smith I am also pretty sure I got some wild corraline colors and sponges too. like $15 for the little can and youll likely never use the whole thing. Folks mostly hate it cuz its mud.
Makes your tank ugly for like almost a whole day. :eek:
I added it to my sand beds when I did them, I drop lumps in the fuge and it just kind of spreads.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and IMO IME every tank is different. They have "personalities" even when they come to params. And some of the most sucsesful tanks I have seen have the worst params ever and the biggest corals.

OP
OP
jabell

jabell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. Where could I add mud if I don't have a fuge?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. Where could I add mud if I don't have a fuge?
I literally scoop it on a plastic spoon and swirl it around.
And I would personally looking at a fuge too for the next upgrade. I have had nothing but success with them. HOB and in sump.

If you read randy farley reef chemist. (it took me years to get this) he had a fuge. not gfo. folks oft confuse science with nature and opt for science. Science is the understanding of nature.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my tank a little over a month ago. I have been carbon dosing NOPOX since the beginning. I am wondering if I should use any bacteria in a bottle product regularly? My nitrates have been staying at 4ppm for a couple weeks now. Trying to get them lower with the NOPOX. Will adding bacteria help in conjunction with the carbon dosing?

I doubt it is useful unless you begin top get a cyano problem. There are already plenty of bacteria eating the NOPOX if it has been dosed for a while, and if they are not cyano, you are good to go. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 105 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back