Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Everyone,

Just kind of want to get the next steps or what to expect. My fish tank has been cycling for around a week and a half. I did half live rock and half dry rock. I did the stability ( bacteria ) for the first seven days. I do have this bacteria which I believe is diatoms. And when I asked my LFS they did say it is diatoms, but that was over the phone! I guess how long before this should be completely cycled and I can start to add fish/corals? Do I wait until it is gone? Is there anything I should be adding to the tank?

unnamed.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fine right now. Diatoms are the first thing that shows up in a new tank. They will passs when all the silica is gone. They consume the silica out of the sand to build their shells.
Then your tank will start to turn green. You can either wait a month, while feeding a little flake or something, to grow the bacteria population. Or start testing for ammonia nitrite and nitrate if you are in a hurry

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fine right now. Diatoms are the first thing that shows up in a new tank. They will passs. Then your tank will start to turn green. You can either wait a month while feeding a little flake or something to grow the bacteria population. Or start testing for ammonia nitrite and nitrate if you are in a hurry
Thank you for this information!

I did buy a test kit, but before I do put any fish into the tank or anything I am going to bring it to my LFS to guarantee that my water is completely ready! So, I probably and slowly looking at another 2-3 weeks to allow it cycle?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes wait. Most tanks take 30 days on average. Since you used some live rock you are ahead of the game
Problems happen when things get rushed. People end up trying to fix things because of rushing.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lapin @Scotty Buttons Thanks for the information! I am definitely in no rush at all. That is the one good thing. I am expecting to be roughly at least 2-4 weeks of cycling. I just was unsure if there was anything else that I needed to add at this stage! I am definitely going to be testing the waters. I am going to run a test this week to learn the ropes of the red reef test kit as well!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back