OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about upgrading to media baskets.
If I lose the skimmer in chamber 1 and put a media basket inside with chemipure, purigen, and a sponge, do I NEED A chamber two insert to place the marine media spheres? Or can I just place them inside once I remove the stock filter?

Only ask as can only seem to source chamber 1 in uk not chamber two

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
No ammonia added, and the dry rock I have was fresh out the shop. Not previously used.
So no ammonia, fish food, or shrimp added to the tank to start the cycle? If that is the case, the rock you added was very "dirty". It likely has all sorts of dried organics in it that are getting wet and breaking down. The good news is that these nutrients generate ammonia to start your cycle. They will also cloud the water, possibly for a few weeks.

It is common when starting with dirty dry rock to let them soak in a tub of saltwater for a month or two to let all this stuff dissolve prior to putting it in the tank. It would have made this next part go faster but isn't required.

It can take a few days or more for nitrifying bacteria to start processing the ammonia. That is when you will start seeing nitrites and then nitrates. Most nitrifying bacteria reproduce slowly relative to other bacteria which is why you can get a bacteria bloom of one type of bacteria (and cloudy water) while seeing no creation of nitrite.

I feel you should be ready to do at least a few water changes to help keep ammonia from getting too high. If it starts getting much above 5ppm I would do a large water change. A bottled nitrifying bacteria product would also help.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no ammonia, fish food, or shrimp added to the tank to start the cycle? If that is the case, the rock you added was very "dirty". It likely has all sorts of dried organics in it that are getting wet and breaking down. The good news is that these nutrients generate ammonia to start your cycle. They will also cloud the water, possibly for a few weeks.

It is common when starting with dirty dry rock to let them soak in a tub of saltwater for a month or two to let all this stuff dissolve prior to putting it in the tank. It would have made this next part go faster but isn't required.

It can take a few days or more for nitrifying bacteria to start processing the ammonia. That is when you will start seeing nitrites and then nitrates. Most nitrifying bacteria reproduce slowly relative to other bacteria which is why you can get a bacteria bloom of one type of bacteria (and cloudy water) while seeing no creation of nitrite.

I feel you should be ready to do at least a few water changes to help keep ammonia from getting too high. If it starts getting much above 5ppm I would do a large water change. A bottled nitrifying bacteria product would also help.
I rinsed the rock in salt water for 48hrs prior. Guess it needed longer...... all a learning curve

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed the rock in salt water for 48hrs prior. Guess it needed longer...... all a learning curve
There is always something to learn in this hobby!

At least this is a very minor issue. It may slow down adding fish for a few weeks, and you may have a little worse algae during the first few months, but other than that it won't have a long term impact. It's a shame that the store who sold you the rock didn't recommend that you soak it prior to use.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always something to learn in this hobby!

At least this is a very minor issue. It may slow down adding fish for a few weeks, and you may have a little worse algae during the first few months, but other than that it won't have a long term impact. It's a shame that the store who sold you the rock didn't recommend that you soak it prior to use.

Indeed, so nothing I can really do now except wait and do some water changes?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, so nothing I can really do now except wait and do some water changes?
Not that I can think of. You may want to call the LFS and see how they recommend treating the dry rock they sell. If nothing else it will give you an idea of how long this might go on.

Keeping the skimmer going will help reduce the number of water changes needed. And I wouldn't do water changes just for the sake of doing them. They are only needed to keep ammonia from getting "too high". The skimmer will also help with smell issues but water changes can help there, too.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I can think of. You may want to call the LFS and see how they recommend treating the dry rock they sell. If nothing else it will give you an idea of how long this might go on.

Keeping the skimmer going will help reduce the number of water changes needed. And I wouldn't do water changes just for the sake of doing them. They are only needed to keep ammonia from getting "too high". The skimmer will also help with smell issues but water changes can help there, too.
They were the ones that said 48hrs

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were the ones that said 48hrs
That is unfortunate. It's possible that this is a new batch of rock they haven't had experience with yet. I have used dry rock off the shelf that I only rinsed off and put in the tank with no issues. I've also seen dry rock that took 2 months before it was ready for use. Lots of variables.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is unfortunate. It's possible that this is a new batch of rock they haven't had experience with yet. I have used dry rock off the shelf that I only rinsed off and put in the tank with no issues. I've also seen dry rock that took 2 months before it was ready for use. Lots of variables.
Just a shame I can’t really do anything except wait and see . I’m itching to get my cleanup crew

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shame I can’t really do anything except wait and see . I’m itching to get my cleanup crew
Did I mention there is always something to learn in this hobby? Patience may be the most important thing to learn, and you are getting that lesson early! :p

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on day 33 of cycling, I utilized bottled bacteria, and dead shrimp method. The bacterial bloom has been around for about 3 1/2 weeks now. I feel the pain but give things time... I have been itching to get some designer clownfish, but have been hindered by my slowly progressing cycle. I did finally add a UV sterilizer yesterday, so we will see if it eliminates the ongoing bacterial bloom!

D6E99071-2C3B-4E5A-8B37-4A1845142F77.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on day 33 of cycling, I utilized bottled bacteria, and dead shrimp method. The bacterial bloom has been around for about 3 1/2 weeks now. I feel the pain but give things time... I have been itching to get some designer clownfish, but have been hindered by my slowly progressing cycle. I did finally add a UV sterilizer yesterday, so we will see if it eliminates the ongoing bacterial bloom!

A UV sterilizer may work, but it will also be masking the underlying problem of what is causing your bloom in the first place.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me know how it works, as I have a similar issue, although I am learning the art of patience as well as marine setups

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update- water very cloudy this morning so I’ve angled the wavemaker to the surface and turned on skimmer, seems to be helping, but I’ll see when I come home from work.

Water test this morning
Ph - 8.0
Ammonia- 1.00ppm
Nitrite- 0.00ppm
Nitrate- 0.00ppm

This is using the current test kit I have (api salt master)
Salifert on its way today.

Results seem odd to me, unless I’m wrong, should there not be at least some nitrate and nitrite? But then this is new to me

Update- tank still cloudy af! Did test with api and salifert.....
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 2-4ppm,.......shot up since last
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

My skimmer is producing loads of micro bubbles in the tank, good or bad? But that bloody thing is noisy as hell

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back