Bacterial bloom few weeks into cycling

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer shouldn't be putting micro bubbles into the tank.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your air valve might open too much. Try adjusting there.
Also it might be still breaking in.

Just curious, I was looking the dry rock in my tank which is still cycling, the one one the right looks like it’s black all over the top? Any advice?
#reefsquad

6B282CDA-66DA-4BC3-91F8-6A83D61B9A5C.jpeg 3534B1EC-0B9D-4158-9705-42161A76CEFE.jpeg F8DC4C07-719A-433F-B25B-671A49F3D221.jpeg 2F500D0F-D55B-4ABE-A45D-844685795E53.jpeg

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the lights off generally only have them on to check water. Ammonia is at 2ppm
0 nitrate
0 nitrite
Ok. Have you done any water changes yet? If yes dont do any more. Start cycling your lights on for about 3 or 4 hours a day. You want to let the algae run its course prior to any live stock. Now it's going to get covered pretty quick. In my experience ph will rise because the algae will absorbe any CO2 in the tank. Also start running your skimmer constantly. Dont turn it off. This is a good time to start dialing it in. Make sure your ghost feeding the tank. You want those nitrifying bacteria to stay well fed and continue to grow in numbers.

Algae does a better job at eating ammonia then the bacteria does that's why it is part of the cycle.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Have you done any water changes yet? If yes dont do any more. Start cycling your lights on for about 3 or 4 hours a day. You want to let the algae run its course prior to any live stock. Now it's going to get covered pretty quick. In my experience ph will rise because the algae will absorbe any CO2 in the tank. Also start running your skimmer constantly. Dont turn it off. This is a good time to start dialing it in. Make sure your ghost feeding the tank. You want those nitrifying bacteria to stay well fed and continue to grow in numbers.

Algae does a better job at eating ammonia then the bacteria does that's why it is part of the cycle.
Any recommendations as to which food to purchase? I will be looking at clown fish in the future? But I’m guessing it don’t matter at this stage? Flakes? Pellets? Any particular brand?

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations as to which food to purchase? I will be looking at clown fish in the future? But I’m guessing it don’t matter at this stage? Flakes? Pellets? Any particular brand?
Right now it doesn't matter what you use. I will post pictures of what I use.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the stock lighting for fluval evo.
It’s white and blue or just blue or off
OK blue lights on for 30 minutes then blue and white for 3 hours then blue for another 30 minutes and then lights off. Once the tank is done cycling and all of the algae blooms are done you will increase The amount of time your lightsAre on.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it got crazy with work yesterday. I use Julian Sprung nori strips, ocean nutrition formula 1 or 2(depending on your stock) flake, hikari mysis shrimp frozen, and I dose live pods.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back