Bacterial Driven System: A Recipe for Success.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone done this with Modern Reef products?

Today I'm dosing 200ml kalkwasser over 24/7 and then every morning I'm dosing 10 ml TM all for reef and 10ml aquaforest Nitraphos minus.

Then I come across this product when I was on Facebook

"ONE-4Reef is a super-concentrated pure organic form of our proportional consumption reef-keeping system in one canister. It contains all necessary trace elements in natural seawater, organic micro-nutrients, and amino acids in one product! Ready to use to maintain a thriving and colorful reef aquarium. Highly concentrated (1L contains 50.160 mg/l calcium and 7.000 °dKH/l). Specially designed to be used with our Reef Keeping System (RKS) but can also be used alone or in aquariums with calcium reactors."

So I'm thinking and have ask Modern reef about use dose products

copy of all for reef with a bit aminos but much more expensive
1600 g AFR give me 10 Liter solutions for 49€
Moderne Reef 2,5 L is 50,67€ so for 10 L=202€ so 4 times more expensive!

Last edited:

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When running the bacteria driven system, do you still use mechanical filtration? When I tried using redsea nopox for carbon dosing I found my filterfloss would clog within a day. Anyone have tips on this? Or just not run floss/sock?

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to wrap my head around all of this as I have just started using the TM Bacter-Balance and MicroBacter 7 daily and the ZeoBak twice a week. I have a 120 gallon with a 10 gallon sump so roughly 130 total gallons that has been setup for 4 years.
Here are my current parameters...
Alkalinity = 9.8 dKh
Nitrate = 5.1 ppm (Hanna)
Phosphate = .07 (Hanna)
pH = 8.0
Salinity = 1.026
Calcium = 501ppm
Magnesium = 1230ppm

Before starting this method, I kept my nitrates around 10ppm and phosphates between .07-.09ppm.

Since starting (3weeks ago), my nitrates have dropped to 5.1ppm and phosphates remain .07ppm. I am currently dosing 1.25ml TM BacterBalance and 10 ml MicroBacter7 daily and ZeoBak 6 drops twice a week.

It seems that nitrates are continuing to drop which is understandable but just how low should they go? Am I dosing too much TM BacterBalance? I am just cautious because a while back my levels bottomed out and a severe case of dinos took over and wreaked havoc on the tank and I just don't want to go through that again.

I am also noticing that within a few hours of cleaning/scraping the glass, either a brown or bright green film reappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

@joaocdestro it seems like I am experiencing what you were talking about with phosphates remaining up when doing this method. Have you found anything that helps? @Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to wrap my head around all of this as I have just started using the TM Bacter-Balance and MicroBacter 7 daily and the ZeoBak twice a week. I have a 120 gallon with a 10 gallon sump so roughly 130 total gallons that has been setup for 4 years.
Here are my current parameters...
Alkalinity = 9.8 dKh
Nitrate = 5.1 ppm (Hanna)
Phosphate = .07 (Hanna)
pH = 8.0
Salinity = 1.026
Calcium = 501ppm
Magnesium = 1230ppm

Before starting this method, I kept my nitrates around 10ppm and phosphates between .07-.09ppm.

Since starting (3weeks ago), my nitrates have dropped to 5.1ppm and phosphates remain .07ppm. I am currently dosing 1.25ml TM BacterBalance and 10 ml MicroBacter7 daily and ZeoBak 6 drops twice a week.

It seems that nitrates are continuing to drop which is understandable but just how low should they go? Am I dosing too much TM BacterBalance? I am just cautious because a while back my levels bottomed out and a severe case of dinos took over and wreaked havoc on the tank and I just don't want to go through that again.

I am also noticing that within a few hours of cleaning/scraping the glass, either a brown or bright green film reappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

@joaocdestro it seems like I am experiencing what you were talking about with phosphates remaining up when doing this method. Have you found anything that helps? @Troylee
It sounds like you need to back off the bacto balance.. you didn’t mention how much you’re using but to put things into perspective I’m using 6ml daily in 300 gallons and I’m heavily stocked with large fish.. I’ve added a bunch to this over the last 6 months and I only feed my tank twice a week.. I’m using bacto balance as a carbon source 6ml a day…

Twice a week I feed this because my nutrients drop like crazy.

8 drops off zeobak,
5ml of mb7 “cap full”
5ml of acro power “cap full”
1 squirt of zeo coral amino
1 squirt of bio mate
1tsp of zeozyme
1tsp of reef roids
And mix all that Into a cup of diy coral snow and let it marinate for a hour or so..
turn the skimmer and return pump off and pour in my display with just circulation for a hour then kick my return and skimmer back on after feeding and sit back and enjoy my tank.

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you need to back off the bacto balance.. you didn’t mention how much you’re using but to put things into perspective I’m using 6ml daily in 300 gallons and I’m heavily stocked with large fish.. I’ve added a bunch to this over the last 6 months and I only feed my tank twice a week.. I’m using bacto balance as a carbon source 6ml a day…

Twice a week I feed this because my nutrients drop like crazy.

8 drops off zeobak,
5ml of mb7 “cap full”
5ml of acro power “cap full”
1 squirt of zeo coral amino
1 squirt of bio mate
1tsp of zeozyme
1tsp of reef roids
And mix all that Into a cup of diy coral snow and let it marinate for a hour or so..
turn the skimmer and return pump off and pour in my display with just circulation for a hour then kick my return and skimmer back on after feeding and sit back and enjoy my tank.
Thanks for the input...I am currently dosing 1.25 ml BacterBalance and 2 capfuls of MB7 daily with 6 drops ZeoBak twice a week...

I will definitely dial down the TM BacterBalance.

I have an Avast Marine Auto Feeder that comes on 3 times a day for a very short feed time...with their reef jerky, reef roids, goniopower, and benereef all mixed in. I also feed frozen food twice a week or so.

Not too heavily stocked with fish--clown and his magnifica anemone, kole tang, royal gramma, cleaner wrasse, pajama cardinal, 3 springer damsels, lawnmower blenny, engineer goby, and clean up crew...Corals I have a fair amount--leathers, torch, hammers, blastos, gonis, and quite a few others..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input...I am currently dosing 1.25 ml BacterBalance and 2 capfuls of MB7 daily with 6 drops ZeoBak twice a week...

I will definitely dial down the TM BacterBalance.

I have an Avast Marine Auto Feeder that comes on 3 times a day for a very short feed time...with their reef jerky, reef roids, goniopower, and benereef all mixed in. I also feed frozen food twice a week or so.

Not too heavily stocked with fish--clown and his magnifica anemone, kole tang, royal gramma, cleaner wrasse, pajama cardinal, 3 springer damsels, lawnmower blenny, engineer goby, and clean up crew...Corals I have a fair amount--leathers, torch, hammers, blastos, gonis, and quite a few others..
That doesn’t seem like much of the bacto balance.. maybe relax on the mb7 and leave the bacto.. just dose the mb7 2 cap fulls on the day you dose the zeobak and see how the tank responds… it would save ya some coin also!

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t seem like much of the bacto balance.. maybe relax on the mb7 and leave the bacto.. just dose the mb7 2 cap fulls on the day you dose the zeobak and see how the tank responds… it would save ya some coin also!
ok...yeah...TM's calculator recommended starting dose was that 1.25 ml BactoBalance...I will only dose the MB7 with the ZeoBak twice a week and see what happens...

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should pull back on bacto if you’re getting the film. Can you feed more.

I’m dosing 1ml per day of bacto balance on 27 gallons. My trates were at 30 two weeks ago before I started dosing and today at 11.

Phos has stayed the same.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back