• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Bad customer support experience

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

tkdman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a bunch of good Ecotech customer service threads. That is why I bought ecotech. But so far my customer service experience has sucked.
Today my mp40 wet side started falling off and rattling (it’s less than a year old). So I got in a chat with ecotech customer support. So far so good said I can get the new wet side shipped to me then I can ship the old one back. Sounds good. Especially since in 6 days my power will be off to finish installing solar and the battery backup and mp40 will be the only circulation in my tank for close to 18 hours.
So I am told I need to call to finish. I call and they say we need to put a card on file in case I don’t ship it back, ok that’s fine. Next they will process a non refundable transaction to approve the card. In their defense it’s only a dollar, but really? Non refundable? That’s stupid and lazy so I say I would rather not agree to that part. I’m instructed that I have to in order to have the new one shipped back. So Ok I say, but I would like to speak to someone after this call to have that refunded. I work in retail and own my own business those test transactions are refundable we do it all the time.
Now because I didn’t agree immediately now they will not ship me the wet side first I will have to ship mine out first. Also Yes I made them aware that my power would be off and this pump will be what’s keeping the coral alive for 18 hours or so.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is honestly really bizarre, and poor practice. I just today had to talk to Breville about a replacement for my espresso machine, and they put a hold on my card until I send the old one back, but then the whole amount will, of course, be refunded.

It's also really disappointing that they would pull the replacement away...

Let us know what happens.

In the meantime, I would buy a couple battery powered air pumps. They can keep everything alive for 18 hours.

OP
OP
tkdman

tkdman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked about the non refundable transaction I was told that the legal team said that it was non refundable. Putting the amount of the item on hold on the card I can absolutely agree with. That would have been normal. The part that has me ticked is no longer allowing me to agree to the terms after I voiced my complaint. At this point my only option is to mail it to them then have them send me one. So now I am looking at gyre or icecap (I know they are the same company) any recommendations I used to have the max spect 350 but it was waaayyyyy to much flow for my Red Sea 350 tank.

OP
OP
tkdman

tkdman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heard from echo tech customer service manager here is the gist. Because I voiced annoyance and did not comply at the beginning and stated that I would let the community know about the SEP I am no longer allowed to have the item shipped to me first. I must Ship my broken unit back to them then they will ship me a new one within 1-3 business days. Mind you I need this at my house installed in 5 days 2 of which are non business days. Here is the quote of the conversation. All of this is because I did not immediately consent to a non refundable charge on my card. Basically accept our terms or **** you is what I was told. Oh and if you are aggravated by the terms and still consent then to bad so sad you need to lay down and pretend you like it. Great Company!

Them- "Robert,

My name is Alex and I am the customer service manager here at EcoTech Marine. We would be happy to have your wetside repaired/replaced and I have emailed you a return FedEx shipping label. Please use that label to return your wetside and I will personally inspect and repair/replace as needed. We will then email you once the inspection is completed and our typical service time is 1-3 business days. With any other questions, please respond to this email.

Thanks again,
Alex
Alex Young
Customer Service Manager"

Me- "
Apparently my complaint wasn’t registered.
I wanted to have the replacement shipped to me then ship my broken part back to you. That was originally offered to me then the offer was removed. The issue I am having is that wet side is failing and rattling itself loose and in 5 days my power will be shut off for a day to complete my solar panel install. I need this pump working that way the ecotech battery backup can work with the pump to keep my corals alive.
I do not have the luxury of sending it back and have no circulation pump in the tank when power is out.
-Robert"

Them - "
Robert,

Unfortunately, we are unable to proceed with our SEP program since you declined the SEP terms. With that in mind, please print and ship the supplied return label and I will be sure to have your wetside repaired/replaced ASAP.

Thanks again,
Alex

SEP Terms:

Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine’s Customer Support Department. This Service Exchange Program Agreement (“SEP”) is a binding agreement between you (“You or Yours”), and EcoTech Marine, LLC or C2 Development, Inc. (“ETM, C2, We, or Our(s)”). Below details the information, terms, and conditions of the SEP.

Our SEP offers You a replacement part or unit (“Unit”) for personal use while Your original Unit is sent to Us for warranty review or service according to the terms of this agreement.

To participate in the SEP you must meet the following conditions:
1. You must be the owner or purchaser of an ETM or C2 manufactured product;
2. Your Unit must be under warranty;
3. You must provide a valid credit card that we will confirm authorization with a $1.00 non-refundable charge;
4. You must grant Us permission to store your credit card for potential future charges by Us;
5. Your Unit must not be damaged due to wear and tear, misuse, or water of which cause will be determined solely by Our staff; and
6. You must not have previously violated this Agreement.

This Agreement, along with any updates or supplemental terms or verbal statements by Us together constitute the “Agreement” between You and Us.

You agree to provide Us a valid credit card, You agree to allow Us to store Your credit card information for possible future charges, and You agree to allow Us to charge a non-refundable $1.00 authorization on the provided card.

We agree to send you a replacement unit with a prepaid return label and You agree to send Us your faulty Unit within 30 days of shipment of the Replacement Unit using the prepaid return label. If You fail to send your faulty Unit to Us within the prescribed timeframe You agree to all charges on Your credit card stored by Us to cover the costs of the replacement Unit.

If, after the return of Your faulty Unit, We determine the damage is not covered under warranty then you agree to all charges on Your credit card stored by Us to cover the costs of the replacement Unit.

If, after attempting to charge Your credit card, We are unable to process the transaction to cover all costs of the replacement Unit We will contact you for an alternative method of payment. If You are unable to provide said payment we will take all legal remedies, including collections to recover our costs.

If, after receiving Your faulty Unit, We determine it is unsafe for use, We reserve the right to destroy or retain any unsafe part of the Unit.

Alex Young
Customer Service Manager"

Me-"
But when I was told it’s the only option I agreed to the terms.
-Robert"

OP
OP
tkdman

tkdman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: They marked it as closed with no satisfactory resolution for me. Needless to say I WILL NEVER BUY ECHOTECH AGAIN!
Ended up having to buy a mp40 westside from auacave for almost 100 shipped (they were the only in stock) but at least it will be at my house Saturday. Then I will have to mail off the old westside for the warranty replacement. Not HAPPY at all. I will be slowly converting my in tank pumps to reef octopus or maxspec. Sad I was in the market for a second MP40 prior to all this.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back