Bad day for GBTA....

Schwen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and took a quick glance at the tank (lights weren't on yet) and was confused because it looked cloudy from a distance. Got closer and its super cloudy... Started looking to see what happened and my gbta was sucked into the powerhead... I removed it and did a 75% water change. Tomorrow I'm going to do %50 and a 25% the following day. Think this will be sufficient? Also, I relocated the powerhead higher in the aquarium and further from any rock work. How long should I wait before getting another gbta? My clowns seem pretty upset just hanging out where the gbta use to be and they hosted it.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about your loss! For the future i would put a sponge cover over your powerheads just to prevent this from happening again. As for another nem, just watch your parameters, as soon as they stable back out i would go ahead and get another one.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense to put a sponge over the intake to a powerhead... but how does one go about protecting a wavemaker where the intake is basically the entire sides?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense to put a sponge over the intake to a powerhead... but how does one go about protecting a wavemaker where the intake is basically the entire sides?
Something like this or a nylon (panty hose) cut to fit

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to Lowe’s or Home Depot they have large pond pump prefilter sponges that you can cut and slide over them.

OP
OP
Schwen

Schwen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas! I ordered some sponge filters off Amazon that should be here in a could days. My powerhead is a Hydor Pico Evo 180. So it's really small and not much to work with. I am going to try and rig something up on the intake of the powerhead. Only thing is I want it to be easily removable so it can be cleaned easily. However secure enough that it doesn't just fall off. I'm thinking it maybe easier to cover the entire powerhead with the sponge and making an opening for the exit flow. I will post a picture when I get a good working design. Going to make sure I have something in place so this doesn't happen again before I get another nem. Also, my water conditions have been back to normal after the 75%, 50% and 25% changes over the last 3 days. My two clowns and other inverts seem normal and my zoa is back open.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back