bad smell in living room

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ozone generator will take care of the smell but should not be used when the dwelling is occupied and the house needs aired out after use. They can cause some serious lung irritation and other health hazards. I used a commercial unit to completely eliminate a house of cigarette smell, like the previous occupants left cigarette burning 24/7/365 for 30 years, it was that bad. Painting didn't help. And I was raised in a household that smoked inside

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if i fully close the sump cabinet and i add a couple of Noctua fans with a carbon pad on front?
I do this using an Arm and Hammer Fridge Air Filter. It sits in front of a fan in the cabinet that vents to the room. There is no way of telling how much it works. Carbon in a reactor worked well though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO a healthy saltwater tank should smell kinda like a tide pool, and a freshwater tank should smell like fresh soil. But the room itself shouldn't smell bad from the tank. When my skimmer cup gets full I can smell it if I go near the back of the tank, but the room doesn't stink.

Carbon like others are mentioning is a good solution if you can't find any specifically treatable cause.
IMHO - you should not need to use anything as the tank/skimmer if maintained shouldn't have any 'smell'. Most of the time there is a smell - it's an unknown 'spill' thats causing carpet etc to smell - or something else.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty fastidious about my maintenance, but still get a skimmer stink. I have a pretty acute sense of smell though, so that might be part of it. StinkSink takes care of any smell between skimmer cup empties. My wife loves it : )

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back