Bamboo Shark iodine food additive

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my first Thread here :)
i got a bamboo shark. i know for the need for iodine. i feed raw frozen foods and dosing daily iodine to the tank, mostly for the macro algaes.
i don´t know if this is enough iodine for a juvenille with 16inch.
sadly i can´t get my hands on the mazuri shark supplements, because i am from germany. Mazuri has 30mg of iodine per tablet and dosing is per weight of the food.
i found only one iodine tablet supplement here in germany, which has 7,5mg iodine per tablet and dosing would be 1 tablet for 0-10 pounds shark. i am sure i feed him more than 1oz, so if i had the mazuri, he would get 30mg iodine per feed instead of 7,5mg.
is it possible to overdose the iodine so it is dangerous?
how much iodine i need per feed?

if 30mg is the goal, i would just feed 4 tablets from the german supplement.

thanks in advance :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my first Thread here :)
i got a bamboo shark. i know for the need for iodine. i feed raw frozen foods and dosing daily iodine to the tank, mostly for the macro algaes.
i don´t know if this is enough iodine for a juvenille with 16inch.
sadly i can´t get my hands on the mazuri shark supplements, because i am from germany. Mazuri has 30mg of iodine per tablet and dosing is per weight of the food.
i found only one iodine tablet supplement here in germany, which has 7,5mg iodine per tablet and dosing would be 1 tablet for 0-10 pounds shark. i am sure i feed him more than 1oz, so if i had the mazuri, he would get 30mg iodine per feed instead of 7,5mg.
is it possible to overdose the iodine so it is dangerous?
how much iodine i need per feed?

if 30mg is the goal, i would just feed 4 tablets from the german supplement.

thanks in advance :)

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Iodine is different from iodide when it comes to shark supplements. Iodine can be dosed in the water, but iodide needs to be dosed in the food.

The dose I use to treat goiter in sharks is difficult to measure for small fish like this. It is: 2.5mg potassium iodide per pound of shark weight in its food for 3 to 5 treatments over 3 weeks.

I don't know if an overdose is toxic, but probably. I do know that iodide is distasteful to fish, and they sometimes spit it out. I took to placing crystals in gelatin capsules, pushing out the extra air, and then inserting that into food items.

In the end, we switched to Mazuri shark vitamins due to the hassle.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Iodine is different from iodide when it comes to shark supplements. Iodine can be dosed in the water, but iodide needs to be dosed in the food.

The dose I use to treat goiter in sharks is difficult to measure for small fish like this. It is: 2.5mg potassium iodide per pound of shark weight in its food for 3 to 5 treatments over 3 weeks.

I don't know if an overdose is toxic, but probably. I do know that iodide is distasteful to fish, and they sometimes spit it out. I took to placing crystals in gelatin capsules, pushing out the extra air, and then inserting that into food items.

In the end, we switched to Mazuri shark vitamins due to the hassle.

Jay
Thank you for your answer :)
i am not looking for a goiter treatment, just an additive for the daily food, so he stays healthy.
i can get my hands on potassium iodide. i am very sad that i can´t get the Mazuri stuff, it would be much easier.
only supplement i can get here in germany is this:

and thats the stuff with the 7,5mg calcium iodate

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing but will go out on a limb and guess that the answer you just got is likely the best you're going to get from someone with probably the most experience so...

Got any pictures?
*Bamboo shark petting exhibit is always first stop for the kids at local Sea World

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answer :)
i am not looking for a goiter treatment, just an additive for the daily food, so he stays healthy.
i can get my hands on potassium iodide. i am very sad that i can´t get the Mazuri stuff, it would be much easier.
only supplement i can get here in germany is this:

and thats the stuff with the 7,5mg calcium iodate
The iodide dose I gave can also be used to prevent goiter in sharks.
I’ve never used calcium iodate so I can’t advise you on that.
Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing but will go out on a limb and guess that the answer you just got is likely the best you're going to get from someone with probably the most experience so...

Got any pictures?
*Bamboo shark petting exhibit is always first stop for the kids at local Sea World
Current state of the Tank. i am adding more reef rocks after a while. last time i removed to much lavarocks at once and i had to start over again. ni i be more patient :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Attachments

• DSC_1137_00001.jpg
    DSC_1137_00001.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is: 2.5mg potassium iodide per pound of shark weight in its food for 3 to 5 treatments over 3 weeks.
Where does the 2,5mg are from?

the Mazuri contains calcium iodate, and should be 30mg, because there is only the calcium iodate in it, nothing other iodine. The AKWAIT has also calcium iodate in it, but only 7,5mg and no magnesium.
i think i would be fine with the AKWAIT when you say that 2,5mg is enough per feed.
dosing calcium iodate would be a pain in the a%+, i would need a microgramm scale for that:grinning-face-with-sweat:
Mazuri.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the 2,5mg are from?

the Mazuri contains calcium iodate, and should be 30mg, because there is only the calcium iodate in it, nothing other iodine. The AKWAIT has also calcium iodate in it, but only 7,5mg and no magnesium.
i think i would be fine with the AKWAIT when you say that 2,5mg is enough per feed.
dosing calcium iodate would be a pain in the a%+, i would need a microgramm scale for that:grinning-face-with-sweat:
Mazuri.JPG
I’ve used that 2.5 mg/pound for 45 years, it may have come from my old boss.
I do not know how iodide relates to iodate.
Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used that 2.5 mg/pound for 45 years, it may have come from my old boss.
I do not know how iodide relates to iodate.
Jay
i´ll just purchased the AKWAIT and give it a try. i googled a little bit and AKWAIT is used in german zoos or sea life, so it will be fine i think :)
Thanks for your replies :)

Can i ask about medication, just in case i may need it. i know there should be NO COPPER at all inside.
But what about malachite green or malachite blue? anything else i have to be aware of?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i´ll just purchased the AKWAIT and give it a try. i googled a little bit and AKWAIT is used in german zoos or sea life, so it will be fine i think :)
Thanks for your replies :)

Can i ask about medication, just in case i may need it. i know there should be NO COPPER at all inside.
But what about malachite green or malachite blue? anything else i have to be aware of?

I wouldn't use malachite green on sharks. Copper isn't good for them, although bamboo sharks can tolerate coppersafe...they do not tolerate ionic copper. You can't use hyposalinity on them either. I have used praziquantel on tanks with sharks in it, but really, it is pretty rare for bamboo sharks to develop parasitic infections.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use malachite green on sharks. Copper isn't good for them, although bamboo sharks can tolerate coppersafe...they do not tolerate ionic copper. You can't use hyposalinity on them either. I have used praziquantel on tanks with sharks in it, but really, it is pretty rare for bamboo sharks to develop parasitic infections.

Jay
thank you very much :)
But if you can´t use copper, hyposalinity and malachit, how do you treat them for things like velvet or ichthyo? every medication for that purpose contains copper.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Jay might have been suggesting that, because bamboos are not "likely" to commonly be affected (((I'm guessing THICK skins))),,, unless you actually observe a problem, you should't worry about it.

*only said that because I didn't see a specific issue that you observed,,, unless I just missed that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much :)
But if you can´t use copper, hyposalinity and malachit, how do you treat them for things like velvet or ichthyo? every medication for that purpose contains copper.
I’ve never seen ich on a shark. They are supposedly able to contract velvet, but I’ve never seen that either.

I’ve never used malachite green on sharks, but wouldn’t do it based on their overall sensitivity to drugs - malachite is tough on a lot of fish.

I’ve used low dose formalin on bamboo sharks - 25ppm.

To be honest, the only diseases I’ve had to deal with in this group of fish have been bacterial.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen ich on a shark. They are supposedly able to contract velvet, but I’ve never seen that either.

I’ve never used malachite green on sharks, but wouldn’t do it based on their overall sensitivity to drugs - malachite is tough on a lot of fish.

I’ve used low dose formalin on bamboo sharks - 25ppm.

To be honest, the only diseases I’ve had to deal with in this group of fish have been bacterial.

Jay
oh man, speaking from the devil, here it is now :confused-face:
Yesterday i recognized that my shark is yawning often and sometimes breathing a little bit faster, like he swam, but he didn´t.
my moray also yawning and breathing more frequently than usual, the shark and moray share the same cave.
At the morning i saw the shark leaning a little bit to the side, like he trys to stretch, then a saw that he got a sligthly red belly. i couldn´t make a photo.
i googled of course, and it looks like a bacterial infection, but where does it come from?
Checked my NH4, NO2 all at 0, so no ammonia burn i would say.
of course i found in those older threads some medications, but here in germany, no chance to get these.

I read that it can come from not so fresh older squids, i feed raw frozen squids (get them from the supermarket, didn´t freeze them by myself) since 2 weeks frequently. the shark and moray ate squid, and both got now similar behaviour.
in short:
Friday feed squid
Saturday often yawning and sometimes breathing a little faster
Sunday morning spotted a slightly red belly, no yawning till now, breathing normaly, except when he moves a little

ope you can help me out Jay, where should i start?
i would stop feeding squid, and go back to shrimps with iodine and vitamine supply ( akwavit) which i recieved a week ago and feed it 3 times till now. And watch what happens.
Tank is bare bottom at the moment, got a few reef rocks, i had a scratch in mind, but the moray is also behaving differently.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some videos i made yesterday and today at feeding.
Blue light is yesterday, the yawning, normal sunlight today at feeding.
Only at the end you can see it barely the red belly.

Here is the Video

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some videos i made yesterday and today at feeding.
Blue light is yesterday, the yawning, normal sunlight today at feeding.
Only at the end you can see it barely the red belly.

Here is the Video
Red bellies on sharks can be a sign of bacterial infection, but very often it is just from a minor irritation.

All in all, the shark looks good in the video.

I've only fed frozen squid, never fresh. The fresh squid might have more bacteria on it?

What test kit are you using for ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only fed frozen squid, never fresh
mine is also frozen, but raw. i have read, that if they don´t freeze them as soon as possible, there are building very fast some bacteria, which can survive beeing frozen. don´t know if thats possible

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back