Banded Snake Eel Advice

NaptownPzzWtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang. So on a whim, I purchased a BSE from my lfs. I was looking for any personal anecdotes on the species. What I do know: can get 3 feet. Minimum 40 or 55 gallons. Terrible vision. Likes to hide in sand with its head out. Escape artist. Can be picky with food selection. Sometimes won't eat for a month+. Additional info: in 40 gal (upgrade to 75 in a year). 8 inches long right now. Tank mates are fully grown royal gramma and 4 1/2 inch starry blenny, plus brittle star, hermit crabs, trochus and nasarrius (I suspect these particular snails might die). How often should I feed and what? Will he kill all my inverts? And any additional info would be appreciated! Peace!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend of mine has one and its been a model citizen. He doesn't let it get hungry though. He feeds it 4-5 times a week. Make sure you feed it with tongs and I'd never put my hands in un-protected. Like you mentioned they have bad eye sight but they have one heck of a bite from what I hear.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snake eels are super docile. It won't bother inverts until it gets full grown, and even then maybe not. At 8" they will barely be able to take down piscine mysis.

They like open sand space as opposed to rockwork and will spend a good amount of time buried.

They are nocturnal so are much more active in dimmer lighting.

OP
OP
NaptownPzzWtr

NaptownPzzWtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replies guys! Seems I have a docile fish that likes to eat, and might like if I took some rocks out. Good to know.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back