OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vizslas are sweet dogs as well!

The frame for my canopy will be made from 2x2 wood and skinned in 1/2" Baltic Birch like the stand. 80/20 would be nice to cut down on the weight... I might have to think about that!

I just added a full tank shot to my thread along with some scape detail shots.
I'll go check out the new pic!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Sketchup export of what I'm thinking about for the tank base and top. Because the tank is in the bar room of our home, I'm making "skins" that will mount to the metal stand via magnets to match the bar. The door to the right of the tank goes back into the storage area that will become the new fish room and house the sump, RODI, water storage, etc.

The white "top" is marble that will match the bar back. I'll attach some pictures of the bar so you can get an idea of how the tank base will look.

3355 V Ln Bar Room - 6x5 - 5-7-21.jpg
Why do I imagine a kid swinging this door open and shattering the tank? Might want to ensure somehow that the door can’t hit the tank, or have it open inwards. Also, are you going to have a cut out in the wall so that you can see into the tank from the ‘fish room’? IMO, that would be a huge convenience, plus it’d just be cool.

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I imagine a kid swinging this door open and shattering the tank? Might want to ensure somehow that the door can’t hit the tank, or have it open inwards. Also, are you going to have a cut out in the wall so that you can see into the tank from the ‘fish room’? IMO, that would be a huge convenience, plus it’d just be cool.
Great eye there, MaxTremors! The door swings the other way so no issues there.

The view from the fish room into the tank is a GREAT idea! The wall in the fish room runs perpendicular to the back wall of the fish tank, but I may be able to design something that looks in from an angle.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be mindful that if you can see into the tank from the back, you'll be able to see what's behind the tank from the front. That means you might be able to see equipment or RODI tanks through the tank. I also find having a solid background makes it easier to see the fish and corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool build so far! Keep it up!

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump arrived yesterday and we carried it in to begin plumbing. I went with an MRC sump with their new roller mat unit. The fleece roll is 21" wide.

The sump is 72" x 24" x 21" and is gorgeous!

I'm building a cabinet that will enclose the sump and have a 1" thick PVC countertop containing a sink. the walls behind and next to the sump will have 1/2" PVC covering the walls.

IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.jpg

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice looking sump. I have never heard of MRC before.
They do more commercial work than consumer. They use nice materials and have excellent craftsmanship. Pricing is probably around something like a Royal Exclusiv, maybe a little lower.

I considered using Advanced Acrylics as they do nice work as well but I could not get them to give me a price or call me back. Too bad, too, because I've spoken to a few that REALLY like their work.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with AA, but had similar communication issues. The initial contact was good, but getting any details worked out was a little difficult.

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the word earlier this week that the tank has been delayed by a week. It was supposed to be here tomorrow or Sat, and they won't be able to ship until the week of the 25th. I've got vacation that week, so it looks like we are going into the beginning of Aug... at least.

Bummed, but not surprised. It was going a little too smoothly! : )

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to commit to a lighting plan, so I have a couple of questions for those of you that have been through this before. First, I want the tank to be able to house as wide a variety of animals as possible. Fish, inverts, softies, LPS, SPS, and so forth.

I've read through many of the lighting threads here on R2R, but if you will indulge me with your current thinking I would greatly appreciate it:

Q1- If YOU we setting this tank up what would your recommendation be for lighting? (the tank is 6'W x 5'D x 2'H)

We spoke with Ecotech (my original choice for lighting) and they recommended going with 12 XR15 G5 pros. Thats a lot of light, but my LFS is also thinking about bolstering that with some T5s.

Q2 - for those of you who have made the switch to fully-LED, do you miss anything from your T5s?

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on lighting as well and am specifically interested in what Ryan from BRS has done with his 360.

Q3 - What are your thoughts on HIS solution for his tank?

Thanks for reading through and I look forward to the discussion.

Mike
I would go with 4 Xr30 front to back on front row and add 4 15s 1 behind each 30. This would allow you to light it up for heavy SPS.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sump arrived yesterday and we carried it in to begin plumbing. I went with an MRC sump with their new roller mat unit. The fleece roll is 21" wide.

The sump is 72" x 24" x 21" and is gorgeous!

I'm building a cabinet that will enclose the sump and have a 1" thick PVC countertop containing a sink. the walls behind and next to the sump will have 1/2" PVC covering the walls.

IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.jpg

Man that is nice!

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the word earlier this week that the tank has been delayed by a week. It was supposed to be here tomorrow or Sat, and they won't be able to ship until the week of the 25th. I've got vacation that week, so it looks like we are going into the beginning of Aug... at least.

Bummed, but not surprised. It was going a little too smoothly! : )
I hope yours is only delayed a week. Mine was delayed several weeks with little to no info passed to me from Planet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is nice!
Thanks, Rev. The "house" plumbing (not the plumbing for the tank) was done on Wednesday to include:

- rough-in for the sink that will be above the sump
- 1/4" nipple for RO/DI
- move and update controls for whole-house shut-off (just in case!) and a few other nice to haves.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely following this outstanding build. The bar looks like some really tight craftsmanship cant wait to see your stand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back