Barbed Bulkheads, A Bad Idea?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the stage of plumbing my 180 RR tank. On my current 93 cube I have the standard bulkhead attached to a pvc adapter for a barbed connection. I found online, bulkheads that are barbed on the bottom. Is this basically the same thing, does it put more pressure on the actual bulkhead, or is it better to convert it like I already have? These are 1" bulkheads btw. Is there any downside to using these bulkheads for the returns?

Then what about the drains, which it's a dual overflow? Are barbed bulkheads on the drains worse to use? Will they restrict flow more than a regular bulkhead?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about the flow restrictions, yes, barbed will be a bit more restrictive, but most people will use them somewhere in their plumbing as poly tubing is good for reducing vibration from the pumps. However if the barb is perpendicular to the tubing it could put strain on the bulkhead. It's best to go straight down with gentle angles to the drain. If you had to choose between a 90 and a barb that is gently sloped down, I'd pick the barb every time. Strain relief is another thing, and perpendicular stress could cause issues laying.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about the flow restrictions, yes, barbed will be a bit more restrictive, but most people will use them somewhere in their plumbing as poly tubing is good for reducing vibration from the pumps. However if the barb is perpendicular to the tubing it could put strain on the bulkhead. It's best to go straight down with gentle angles to the drain. If you had to choose between a 90 and a barb that is gently sloped down, I'd pick the barb every time. Strain relief is another thing, and perpendicular stress could cause issues laying.

Yes, for the returns, the barbs go straight down without any angles except minor bends in the vinyl tubing.

But what do you mean "strain relief?" What's that? And are barb bulkheads typically better for just the returns? Or can they be used on a drain as well with vinyl?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BarbBulkheadFitting1.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strain relief is just the term for providing relief for some force on a pipe, wire etc... That is not meant to take the force. If you're going straight down with the barb that's fine if you intend to use hose to go to the sump.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use silicone turning on both overflow and return to cut down vibration. It has worked very well so far. Also you don’t need to worry about making perfect cuts on PVC to accommodate all the turns etc.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use silicone turning on both overflow and return to cut down vibration. It has worked very well so far. Also you don’t need to worry about making perfect cuts on PVC to accommodate all the turns etc.

The only issue I have is that I have a Trigger 39 sump and it has 1" intakes which are meant to be glued to pvc. Maybe just taking that whole plate off will work and just have the tubes go straight into the reception area of the sump. I rather them go into the filter socks directly but then you lose the ability to cover that area. Plus there's 3 socks, not 2.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back