Battery Backup appears dead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my battery backup for about 3 years. I've only ever needed it once and I can't even remember if it worked then. The power went out this morning and nothing. I am the first to admit that I haven't discharged it in test mode as the manual suggests so my bad for sure. I guess the whole thing is dead. Bummer since I need it working right now. Our power goes out very infrequently but the point of when it does I need the unit to work. Arrrrrggggg.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely weird, when power was restored the battery backup showed red light, meaning its charging. Within an hour it was back to green, meaning it was completely charged or at least charged somewhat. I unplugged the vortech from the wall out let and the battery backup took over and the vortech functioned on low speed as it should, the battery was still plugged into a different outlet that was working. The light continued to be green showing the battery as having full charge or at least some amount of charge. When I unplug both the vortech and the battery backup from the wall outlet to see what the level of charge is there is nothing, no power to the vortech controller. So I went out and threw the breaker to the main tank to just see what would happen as if a power outage was going on. I get nothing. This leads me to believe that the battery is actually not charged? and it only worked when the battery was plugged into the outlet that was working. Whatever is going on it is not good as the battery is not backing up my vortech when needed, a real power outage. Frustrated!!!

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the manual the EcoTech Battery Back up should stay plugged into the wall outlet on a regular basis, I believe this is how it not only charges when necessary but senses when a power outage has occurred.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the manual the EcoTech Battery Back up should stay plugged into the wall outlet on a regular basis, I believe this is how it not only charges when necessary but senses when a power outage has occurred.
You are correct as most all backups work in this fassion.
But..
The batteries need to be cycled to keep a full lifespan

iReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is completely weird, when power was restored the battery backup showed red light, meaning its charging. Within an hour it was back to green, meaning it was completely charged or at least charged somewhat. I unplugged the vortech from the wall out let and the battery backup took over and the vortech functioned on low speed as it should, the battery was still plugged into a different outlet that was working. The light continued to be green showing the battery as having full charge or at least some amount of charge. When I unplug both the vortech and the battery backup from the wall outlet to see what the level of charge is there is nothing, no power to the vortech controller. So I went out and threw the breaker to the main tank to just see what would happen as if a power outage was going on. I get nothing. This leads me to believe that the battery is actually not charged? and it only worked when the battery was plugged into the outlet that was working. Whatever is going on it is not good as the battery is not backing up my vortech when needed, a real power outage. Frustrated!!!

Plus 1 on this. ..N I thought my was messed up

Berlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am thinking I want to buy a backup Battery. What is a good one ?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice to be able to program a controller to automatically discharge/recharge the battery once in a while to enlongen the life of these battries...

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the battery developed a memory and no longer holds enough charge to power the Vortech. Sucks, but it happens when it doesn't go through regular discharge cycles.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace battery with an AGM battery and get a better float charger. I’m glad you guys are confirming what it thought was going to happen with these. I already have my back up battery and charger. It’s not pretty but better long term results and safer.

69EE994A-99D8-4E41-9FE1-F59CB7029AA9.jpeg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back