Battery backup/UPS

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what people are using as a UPS or battery backup for a reef tank if the power goes out. I know there are some DIY builds if you have built one I would like to know more about it, what the specs are, devices you are using, how long it will run without power, and cost. I had a tank crash while I was on vacation and lost several coral and fish. I need to prevent this from happening. I would need to run my return pump which is 60W and a heater which is 250W I realize that is a lot of draw, I have a 90 gallon tank and would have my backup heater on the UPS or battery backup. I believe I could get by with a 250W heater. I just desperately need some suggestions/ideas/ your own personal builds (if you don’t mind sharing) and what you have plugged in for a power outage. I am really unfamiliar with the whole battery backup systems and UPS in general. Any advice would help. Thank you guys so much!

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience ups stock battery doesn’t have enough power to run the reef tank
You can remove stock battery and replace with
Marine battery
If ups came with two stock batteries , you have to replace with two marine battery and run them in series
Here how I run my backup

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back