Battle marks or flukes on my Tomini Tang?

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this Tomini tang for quite a while and suddenly today he has these markings and this was definitely not here this morning. I'm not sure whether these are battle marks from my Yellow Tang (I haven't seen much hostility toward them, they been together for almost two years already), or are they flukes?
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump,

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will start with saying you'll want a second opinion for sure, but looks like either flukes or ich.

Any other fish have these?
Is the Tomini showing signs of distress?

A freshwater dip can confirm the presence of flukes, just be sure to do it in a clean, dark container. They'll look like little grains of rice or sesame seeds.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance, I would say 100% Cryptocaryon, classic case, moderate infection level. However, it is a bit odd that the spots are mostly on the center flank of the fish, none on the head, and only a couple on the fins. Does the other side of the fish have roughly the same pattern of spots?

Jay

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it like to swim between the rocks and coral frequently? I’ve personally witnessed my scopas swimming too fast and darting amongst the rocks, birds nest, and acros in my tank and ending up with marks just like those. Watch for a spell and see if it heals up before you start nuking it with meds.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like Ich to me, but just a guess.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance, I would say 100% Cryptocaryon, classic case, moderate infection level. However, it is a bit odd that the spots are mostly on the center flank of the fish, none on the head, and only a couple on the fins. Does the other side of the fish have roughly the same pattern of spots?

Jay
There's nothing on the other side I don't think its ich because I've dealt with ich before and the spots on him are flat and only appear on one side.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it like to swim between the rocks and coral frequently? I’ve personally witnessed my scopas swimming too fast and darting amongst the rocks, birds nest, and acros in my tank and ending up with marks just like those. Watch for a spell and see if it heals up before you start nuking it with meds.
Yeah, he definitely does like to dart around rocks a lot.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like scars from bumping into a rock if indeed its limited to one side qbd one area of the body.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing on the other side I don't think its ich because I've dealt with ich before and the spots on him are flat and only appear on one side.
I agree, that’s why I asked about the other side; ich would have a more random distribution. I’m thinking injury/scratches, something that happened to that side only.
Jay

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The markings on my mini tang have started to fade away slowly so it appears to have been scratches made by rocks when he swims by them.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back