Battlebox opinions wanted...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So my tank has finished cycling and now I am in the “ugly” phase of the tank. Diatoms galor but I got a nice diamond goby to clean that up! But now to the real purpose of the thread, would you all recommend purchasing a battlebox to grab my first bunch of frags? I am a bit unsure what I really want in terms of SPS corals so the battlebox seems attractive offering. Personally I am just interested in pretty SPS corals!

From what I have read/seen on Adam’s build thread he cares a lot about the customers/quality of the frags. I was thinking of grabbing a $300 battlebox, would you all recommend?

Thanks

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd contact Adam and pick his brain about which corals would be a good selection for a new tank. He won't steer you wrong.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So my tank has finished cycling and now I am in the “ugly” phase of the tank. Diatoms galor but I got a nice diamond goby to clean that up! But now to the real purpose of the thread, would you all recommend purchasing a battlebox to grab my first bunch of frags? I am a bit unsure what I really want in terms of SPS corals so the battlebox seems attractive offering. Personally I am just interested in pretty SPS corals!

From what I have read/seen on Adam’s build thread he cares a lot about the customers/quality of the frags. I was thinking of grabbing a $300 battlebox, would you all recommend?

Thanks
Reach out to Adam. Tell him the age/state of your tank.
Let him pick what he thinks would be best for your situation.
And, if he doesn't feel your tank is ready for sps, he will tell you. Unlije others, he won't make a sale, knowing the corals most likely won't make it, just to make a sale.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question I'd have to have a bit more of information what size is the tank? You said you are just getting out of the ugly stage how long has your tank been running since the cycle completed? And what is your experience level with any corals? These are gonna be the most important part of bringing new life into your tank. I personally have gotten the 200$ box plus a few choice corals to get the free shipping. I found Adam did an amazing job with the box I received very large variety. But I would not recommend starting your sps collection with acropora just do to their touchy nature at times. Adam welcomed my input in such as a color request, I'm sure he has plenty of non acro sps that are beautiful that would be alot better to start with over acros.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with some cheap acros to test out and see if they will survive first. I got a 10 pack frag from aquasd for $100 to test out. So far half are gone, but looks like the others will survive. Just a little pale but great PE. I was running gfo, i think thats what killed some because of low nutrients, so I just setup a refugium now and only time will tell.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask Adam for a tester pack to see if your tank is ready for sps.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question I'd have to have a bit more of information what size is the tank? You said you are just getting out of the ugly stage how long has your tank been running since the cycle completed? And what is your experience level with any corals? These are gonna be the most important part of bringing new life into your tank. I personally have gotten the 200$ box plus a few choice corals to get the free shipping. I found Adam did an amazing job with the box I received very large variety. But I would not recommend starting your sps collection with acropora just do to their touchy nature at times. Adam welcomed my input in such as a color request, I'm sure he has plenty of non acro sps that are beautiful that would be alot better to start with over acros.

Yeah I probably should have posted that in the initial post. I will post my equipment list in a second but I have a Innovative Marine 20 Gallon.

This is my first ever saltwater fish tank but I do want to note I want to do SPS even though I know it will be more challenging. I have good equipment and been spending good time researching all of it... the tank has cycled for about three weeks to a month now and my plan is to ensure all is stable for the next two weeks. So that being said I am about two weeks out of purchasing frags.

The tank will be dosed Kalkwasser via Ato. And I am doing water changes weekly of about three gallons. The system is running chemipure on intank media racks.

Equipment List

20 Gallon IM NUVO
20 Pounds of Live Rock
1.5 HOB AquaMaxx Protien Skimmer
2 X Kessil A160We
Spectral Controller
2 X Intank Media Racks
Smart Micro ATO
Tunze Powerhead

I think the majority of the comments say to talk to Adam so I will send him a private message detailing the system

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I probably should have posted that in the initial post. I will post my equipment list in a second but I have a Innovative Marine 20 Gallon.

This is my first ever saltwater fish tank but I do want to note I want to do SPS even though I know it will be more challenging. I have good equipment and been spending good time researching all of it... the tank has cycled for about three weeks to a month now and my plan is to ensure all is stable for the next two weeks. So that being said I am about two weeks out of purchasing frags.

The tank will be dosed Kalkwasser via Ato. And I am doing water changes weekly of about three gallons. The system is running chemipure on intank media racks.

Equipment List

20 Gallon IM NUVO
20 Pounds of Live Rock
1.5 HOB AquaMaxx Protien Skimmer
2 X Kessil A160We
Spectral Controller
2 X Intank Media Racks
Smart Micro ATO
Tunze Powerhead

I think the majority of the comments say to talk to Adam so I will send him a private message detailing the system

Did you see get a hold of Adam about a beginners pack?

I got my first order is sps from him when my tank hit the 3 month mark. Worked out really well. Sent him a pm asking for a beginners pack for a new setup. Got a really nice assortment of species and colors. 6 out of the 8 are still with me 10 months later:) Not a bad record considering my tank really wasn't ready for sps at the time. And here I am today, like 7 Battleboxes later;)

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the price you got it for? I cant see myself spending $200 on a battlebox test pieces that will might die in new tank.

I got my first order is sps from him when my tank hit the 3 month mark. Worked out really well. Sent him a pm asking for a beginners pack for a new setup. Got a really nice assortment of species and colors. 6 out of the 8 are still with me 10 months later:) Not a bad record considering my tank really wasn't ready for sps at the time. And here I am today, like 7 Battleboxes later;)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the price you got it for? I cant see myself spending $200 on a battlebox test pieces that will might die in new tank.

Then go to your fish store and buy a $35 frag? Pretty easy to see if you are ready- it dies or it doesn’t

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny you ask, my battlebox is coming in tomorrow! Adam is picking out good beginner corals for the tank!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was 200. Really happy with all I got in that pack. I did add 2 sps frags from a lfs near me before ordering this pack. I added a birdnest and orange monti cap as testers. Those did good so I went for it.

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach out to Adam. Tell him the age/state of your tank.
Let him pick what he thinks would be best for your situation.
And, if he doesn't feel your tank is ready for sps, he will tell you. Unlije others, he won't make a sale, knowing the corals most likely won't make it, just to make a sale.
I recently told a couple of local guys that I would not sell them frags if they werent ready for them. They went on to trash talk me and call me an ***hole cause I wouldnt let them kill my frags. I wish someone was like that when I furst started out, would have saved me alot of headaches and money!!

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then go to your fish store and buy a $35 frag? Pretty easy to see if you are ready- it dies or it doesn’t
Yes that's what I would do as well, but OP wanted a battlebox for his first pieces. He might not have any lfs near him as well, my closest lfs that sells corals is 3hrs away from me. ;)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's what I would do as well, but OP wanted a battlebox for his first pieces. He might not have any lfs near him as well, my closest lfs that sells corals is 3hrs away from me. ;)

Honestly, I would still pm Adam about a Battlebox. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what he comes up with:)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back