Battling Dinos!!!

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dinos outbreak about few weeks ago. I first notice some airbubble on the back glass, did not pay much attention to that. This is my plan. Any opinion would help :)
Doing:
- Raising my No3 and PO4
- Adding a filter sock, and clean it daily
- Manually remove as much as possible
Planning:
- Adding AlgeaBarn Pod (mixed 3 types), and some live phyto as food to populate the pod. As what I found from many reading, some pods will devour dinos or at least eat up dinos’ hard shell which make it difficult to kill.
- Start dosing H2O2 1ml/10G daily, as what I mentioned above, the hard shell protect dinos from being killed. With the pods help, I think H2O2 would kill them a bit faster.
I’m still lucky that they have not grown on my corals and rock.

I dont want to spend on a microscope. You can share your experience. It would be nice for me.
Will update the process in this post :)

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty good plan to me, persistent manual removal can do wonders :)

SOCOM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting the photoperiod along with manual removal with a small fish net worked for me.

Is this a new tank?
Silicates usually cause this, RODI good?

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting the photoperiod along with manual removal with a small fish net worked for me.

Is this a new tank?
Silicates usually cause this, RODI good?
Not a new tank, accidentially overdose carbon, ran into ulns which cause dinos.
Rodi 2tds which is not a big deal, also did not do water change since I got dino.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my opinion: if this is a nano, do 100% opposite of that plan. if its larger than a nano, meaning you can't take it apart and clean the tank from the glass up, then do your exact plan. what size we got here?

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my opinion: if this is a nano, do 100% opposite of that plan. if its larger than a nano, meaning you can't take it apart and clean the tank from the glass up, then do your exact plan. what size we got here?
30G, what do you mean 100% opposite?

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a look here. i managed to fix my dino issue with just increasing nutrients, adding a UV and removing some of the sand bed. getting a +ve ID on the criers is very useful

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I see that my dinos really decrease almost 50% after adding about 5000+ of mixed pods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pods sure might eat them id hold course there. above was referring to just a take apart cleaning where all the invader is washed out without losing anything, skip cycle cleaning. we're getting pretty good at just washing out invasions that are not anchored, in tanks small enough to be accessible. much anything over 50 gallons and the keeper will not do disassembly cleaning/too much

where possible, this method is ideal bc it doesn't conflict with any other method. its thorough vs partial water change, which upwells nutrients for fuel. thorough cleaning takes the waste and detritus out of the tank immediately, in one pass. ideally, pods and other actions can be applied against an invader reduced by 99.9% for the really rough challenges. nutrients can then be adjusted down/up as needed to battle the invader and there wont be a hidden nutrient store, and hiding place (sandbed untouched) for the invader.
Ive seen instances where merely the pod addition worked on the big dinos thread...that's how nature does it most likely/with other reef grazers but when that works its such an easy method/all natural.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back