0   0   0
What a great build and final result.
Hoping for some updates soon

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am running dual Neptune Cor-20 pumps to run both the return and the manifold. They are plumbed in a way to be redundant to one another. Or one can power both while I take one out to clean.

1628259538000.png
To clarify: one of these normally runs the manifold, the other runs the return, but they're plumbed so that one can power both if need be?

If so: out of curiosity, how do you make sure you're getting proper flow rate through the GFO and carbon while still getting proper turnover?

Great build thread! I'm gonna be stealing lots of ideas from this when I get my own EXT 200 set up soon.

OP
OP
bayarea_reef

bayarea_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify: one of these normally runs the manifold, the other runs the return, but they're plumbed so that one can power both if need be?

If so: out of curiosity, how do you make sure you're getting proper flow rate through the GFO and carbon while still getting proper turnover?

Great build thread! I'm gonna be stealing lots of ideas from this when I get my own EXT 200 set up soon.
That is correct they are plumbed so that a gatevalve can make one pump flow to the other vice versa. But in normal running state one is dedicated to the returns and one for manifold. The idea is when it’s time for maintenance I pull one pump to clean while having the system still run normally although to answer your question about flow rate, I don’t measure turnover of the GfO is slightly tumbling that suffices for me. And I only run carbon once in awhile or there is a need for it. I’ll make some new updates to this thread soon it’s been awhile.

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been really wanting to do the custom light mount with the automatic raising and lowering of the arms. I came up with the idea with a friend of mine back home to use the electronic legs of a stand up desk.

I fabricated a mount to attach it to the back of the aluminum EXT stand with some 8020 accessories and then slide the table legs into this custom sleeve.

It came out pretty good! You can check out the video post here Automated Lift Light Bracket System

1620154695213.png

1620154713872.png

1620154734604.png

1620154755579.png

1620154773283.png

1620154822221.png

1620154795957.png
Hey there; if you don't mind me asking: how did you fabricate this mount? I'm very interested in doing something similar so I don't have to mount the lights on walls. Thank you so much, your build thread has been VERY helpful as I plan out my own build of this exact tank. :)

OP
OP
bayarea_reef

bayarea_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there; if you don't mind me asking: how did you fabricate this mount? I'm very interested in doing something similar so I don't have to mount the lights on walls. Thank you so much, your build thread has been VERY helpful as I plan out my own build of this exact tank. :)
Apologize for such a late reply, I don't frequent the build thread too often, but i'll start paying attention. The mount was made from aluminum tubing cut to size and then I tapped the aluminum stand to attach the tubing, the tubing is used to slide the electric standing desk legs down into and then I placed a few long studs across the aluminum tubing to secure the standing desk at the correct height. I then tapped in set screws into the tubing to secure the standing desk to ensure it doesn't move. I have some pictures of what I did maybe on page 2 or 3 of this build thread.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the latest picture of the tank. I'll do a tank update post later this week. Lots has changed!

FB9A6742-3.JPG
Tank looks incredible! I love all the reef art you have on your walls!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautiful, I don’t even know where to look first! I need to sit on a bar stool in front of your tank for an hour to study and appreciate every aspect. Texas is a bit far though to drive from California- lol.

I just started my tank a few months ago and your DT is an inspiration to mirror. Love how you put hammers together like bouquets of flowers. I have started a little section in my scape just for them.

If you ever have the time, check out my build thread and don’t hesitate to make recommendations!

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the light rack and motor holding up after all this time? I would love to implement something like this on my new IM 200INT.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which angle and pictures do you need? I have a few more posted above that post with the back side etc... let me know.
Actually, do you mind sharing some closer pictures of how you have the 8020 bar mounted to the desk portion of the lift? And how you mounted the lights to it? Thanks so much! You inspired me to do this for my lights

OP
OP
bayarea_reef

bayarea_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautiful, I don’t even know where to look first! I need to sit on a bar stool in front of your tank for an hour to study and appreciate every aspect. Texas is a bit far though to drive from California- lol.

I just started my tank a few months ago and your DT is an inspiration to mirror. Love how you put hammers together like bouquets of flowers. I have started a little section in my scape just for them.

If you ever have the time, check out my build thread and don’t hesitate to make recommendations!
Thanks for checking out my build. I have more updates on my instagram. And sorry for the late reply. I seldomly come onto here to check the messages. Ill go check out your build!

OP
OP
bayarea_reef

bayarea_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the light rack and motor holding up after all this time? I would love to implement something like this on my new IM 200INT.
Its been over 2.5 years now and its still like it is on day 1. Lot's of folks said it would rust out and die, but not single spec of rust anywhere.

OP
OP
bayarea_reef

bayarea_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, do you mind sharing some closer pictures of how you have the 8020 bar mounted to the desk portion of the lift? And how you mounted the lights to it? Thanks so much! You inspired me to do this for my lights
I'll see if I can post some pics up shortly for you.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking out my build. I have more updates on my instagram. And sorry for the late reply. I seldomly come onto here to check the messages. Ill go check out your build!
Yes, I will follow on Instagram. Wow, your photography is incredible. Makes sense since these reef tanks we endeavor to create are works of art as well.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back