Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

neilp2006

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok, need a reality check because I’m getting conflicting info in the real world.

I’ve had a batch of softies and lps in qt for 60 days, and was due to transfer them to DT in two weeks right before I go on vacation. They were dipped twice 30 days apart when I get them.

Last week, I saw a large red segmented worm, and a few black sesame seed sized bugs on the large gsp. At some point in the store this GSP totally encased the rock or plug it was on, so I couldn’t replace it. I’m guessing the bugs came from eggs in the rock/plug and the worm was protected due to how tight the flesh is.

I plan to redip everything this week, do a second dip 30 days later after vacation then into DT. I am considering fragging the large gsp onto several plugs to open it up a bit.

Q- is Bayer safe for all of these corals in this batch?-

Ultra green branching hammer

Purple cap branching hammer

Duncan

A maze brain favite

A war favia

Pulsing Xenia

GSP - one big colony completely wrapped around plug plus one small one on plug

Green fungia

Thanks

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

neilp2006

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My question is how long should the QT be considered a pathogen vector?
Not sure I understand your question.

I QT 76 days to ensure encysted ich or velvet hatch and the free swimmers die of starvation.

Coral pests are dealt with using bayer, unless they somehow escape - as I suspect happened with the fully encrusted rock under the gsp.

I plan to frag it up and dip the pieces, then glue to new plugs or direct to a rock

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Isn't the QT now potentially contaminated with red segmented worms, and black sesame seed sized bugs and their eggs, etc.? How long must the QT lay fallow, or must the QT be broken down and sterilized?

neilp2006

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Isn't the QT now potentially contaminated with red segmented worms, and black sesame seed sized bugs and their eggs, etc.? How long must the QT lay fallow, or must the QT be broken down and sterilized?
Well, yes.

But I’m moving everything into a clean 20long after I dip. Then the contaminated 10g is getting bleached

Earn WWC Rewards Points

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure I understand your question.

I QT 76 days to ensure encysted ich or velvet hatch and the free swimmers die of starvation.

Coral pests are dealt with using bayer, unless they somehow escape - as I suspect happened with the fully encrusted rock under the gsp.

I plan to frag it up and dip the pieces, then glue to new plugs or direct to a rock
They could have also been eggs. Bayer like any other dip, will not kill eggs of any of the pests.

neilp2006

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They could have also been eggs. Bayer like any other dip, will not kill eggs of any of the pests.
I understood that doing two dips 30 days apart would kill active bugs, and then any that hatched in the intervening period. The second dip is done before the newly hatched bugs can lay their own eggs so a repeat of the cycle is avoided .

I honestly think the gsp is so thickly gtown over the rock that the bayer didn’t penetrate. I plan to frag and dip on this next round

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
I understood that doing two dips 30 days apart would kill active bugs, and then any that hatched in the intervening period. The second dip is done before the newly hatched bugs can lay their own eggs so a repeat of the cycle is avoided .

I honestly think the gsp is so thickly gtown over the rock that the bayer didn’t penetrate. I plan to frag and dip on this next round
Yes, entirely possible.
But you could also have some pests that hatched after the dip and reached a reproductive level in 4 weeks.

Top Shelf Aquatics
https://www.omegasea.net/

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 205 54.4%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 125 33.2%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 34 9.0%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors