BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No grilling today. Cooking a ham in the oven. Needed a ham bone for a soup recipe and couldn't find one. Lucked out on a sale at Krogers on a ham that was normally $20+, picked it up for under $5. Thought about smoking it but came down with a cold so didn't feel like being outside.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a collection of rubs starting

05744CFD-0BA8-4848-A76A-D7B82E51E265.jpeg

Nice.. I am in a Rub/spice club from lanes BBQ but honestly rubs are easy to make and tweak the way you want them. You want a little more heat you add it.
There are so many recipes on the internet and really there is not many ingredients in most rubs. Not everyone want to make their won though. Buying a premade is nice time saver and a great way to sample different rubs.

I am curious how many make their own rubs here?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.. I am in a Rub/spice club from lanes BBQ but honestly rubs are easy to make and tweak the way you want them. You want a little more heat you add it.
There are so many recipes on the internet and really there is not many ingredients in most rubs. Not everyone want to make their won though. Buying a premade is nice time saver and a great way to sample different rubs.

I make my own. I'm with you. They tend to be simple and I like modifying them to taste.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah trying to figure out what I like first.

Wouldn’t mind trying to make my own. Need to find out what I like first though.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to warm up into the 40’s and 50’s this week. Time to firer up the grill again. Supposed to even hit 60 one day. Might even see if I can get the grill into the backyard on the slab. Can’t wait!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to warm up into the 40’s and 50’s this week. Time to firer up the grill again. Supposed to even hit 60 one day. Might even see if I can get the grill into the backyard on the slab. Can’t wait!

Same here supposed to be almost 60 here this week after below zero just about a week and a half ago. It is supposed to rain though the next few days.
I grill out even if it real cold but not in the rain.. :(

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hit mid 50's on Sunday. Grilled up some chicken thighs. SPRING IS ALMOST HERE! :)

Had to do a little work on getting the cast iron grate ready for cooking, but otherwise no issues.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a grow out post, but more delicious.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I love smoking pork butts because you can be so dang lazy and they still turn out great. I first coat the meat in Plockman's mustard, then coat generously in my own rub mix. I hosted our local aquarium group last summer and served a full BBQ platter with pulled pork, brisket, homemade potato salad, cornbread, slaw and dirty rice. Was a lot of fun!

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a grow out post, but more delicious.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I love smoking pork butts because you can be so dang lazy and they still turn out great. I first coat the meat in Plockman's mustard, then coat generously in my own rub mix. I hosted our local aquarium group last summer and served a full BBQ platter with pulled pork, brisket, homemade potato salad, cornbread, slaw and dirty rice. Was a lot of fun!
Awesome! It’s been cold and rainy for the last 2 months here. Don’t know when I have gone so long without cooking on the grill. Tried it once but burned through half a bag of pelletsjust cooking up some chicken. Looking forward to this weekend though. I’m hosting a small fight party and cooking up a 17 lb boneless ribeye roast! Gonna be a real meat party!!! I’ll be sure to post pics!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been cold and rainy for the last 2 months here.
What qualifies as cold and rainy by you? Highs in the 60's with the occasional cloud? ;):p

I might fire up the smoker again this weekend. Too bad I have to work 12-14 hours tomorrow when it is 76 and sunny. :(

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! It’s been cold and rainy for the last 2 months here. Don’t know when I have gone so long without cooking on the grill. Tried it once but burned through half a bag of pelletsjust cooking up some chicken. Looking forward to this weekend though. I’m hosting a small fight party and cooking up a 17 lb boneless ribeye roast! Gonna be a real meat party!!! I’ll be sure to post pics!

Cold and rainy? In CA?!

It's been sub zeroes here for months! :) If I want to smoke anything I have to use over half a bag of charcoal! Haha.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What qualifies as cold and rainy by you? Highs in the 60's with the occasional cloud? ;):p

I might fire up the smoker again this weekend. Too bad I have to work 12-14 hours tomorrow when it is 76 and sunny. :(
Cold and rainy? In CA?!

It's been sub zeroes here for months! :) If I want to smoke anything I have to use over half a bag of charcoal! Haha.
It actually was down in the mid to lo 30s at night. 40s during the day. It has rained at least twice a week for months. Nothing like I have ever experienced in 50 years on the planet. Pretty unreal winter for us but it’s especially hard because we aren’t set up for this kind of weather.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually was down in the mid to lo 30s at night. 40s during the day. It has rained at least twice a week for months. Nothing like I have ever experienced in 50 years on the planet. Pretty unreal winter for us but it’s especially hard because we aren’t set up for this kind of weather.
That is crazy for your neck of the woods.
Our temperatures in Northern Alabama have been fairly typical but the rain has been nuts. 2 weekends ago we got 11" of rain and have gotten at least 1"-2" in a week all but 3 weeks this year. The Tennessee river is so running so full they can't use the dams to generate power. It would limit the water flow.

I'm ready for sunshine!

Hillbillyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some brined corned beef briskets at the store today, Thursday I plan on smoking them for supper and sandwiches. Can’t wait to get back to the smoker after the last 5weeks of -35F weather!

Back