Be warned! Ecotech

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty bummed with Ecotech right now. I've got multiple lights from them, vortechs, vectra, reef link. Basically the whole lineup.

Well one of my lights a Gen 3 XR15 pro on my frag tank started flickering. I sent it in for repairs and they no longer repair those lights and my only option is to upgrade to the new G5...

It's pretty irritating that we spend a lot of money on these products that are supposed to last and now that it has an issue they won't fix it. they did give me a discount on the new light but its still annoying.

So not sure what they will fix anymore as my other lights are Gen 2 XR 30's.
Hopefully they last...

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, ive had it for 3 or 4 years. But the whole selling point of led was how long they would last... not so much I guess...
Ah ok, well guess your out of luck then. Don’t they state they are guaranteed to last x amount of years somewhere?

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you, but eccotech replaced my whole pump, no questions asked and out of warranty......I was very surprised. I guess consistency is key. I will say, I would not buy the pumps again, I just don't care for the controller

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never used them, but looks like they do solid work.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now that’s pretty cool

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you, but eccotech replaced my whole pump, no questions asked and out of warranty......I was very surprised. I guess consistency is key. I will say, I would not buy the pumps again, I just don't care for the controller
They replaced a Vectra for me as well. I'm just warning people about older model lights they aren't repairing. be careful what you buy.

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm guessing they aren't sending me back the old one since they are discounting the replacement... definitely keep them in mind for my Gen 2's

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I feel for you, it can't be expected for these companies to continue producing parts for older generation lights. At some point they have to cut off production.

Eventually, everyone will start to realize that LEDs are not what they are hyped up to be. Sure, the diode might last some crazy long time but other parts simply won't. I suspect most LED fixtures will actually last 4-6 years. Tullio at ReefBrite says degradation starts around 4 years for most diodes. All the sudden bulb changes don't seem too bad compared to whole fixture replacement every 5 years.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect most LED fixtures will actually last 4-6 years.
That is not realistic. after 4 years I had to turn mine down. Most leds last anywhere from 50,000 hours to 100,000 hours. SO that is a minimum of 10 years at 12 hours a day at a minimum. I run 8 hours and will probably get 30 years, since mine can run a 210g at 1% intensity on B and W channels

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, ive had it for 3 or 4 years. But the whole selling point of led was how long they would last... not so much I guess...

That’s one of the reasons I use ATI T5. Besides the fact they are proven, all the parts are sold on the website should anything malfunction.

Since bulbs only really need changing every 15-18 months… it’s takes like an eternity to catch up to the cost of multiple led fixtures over a larger tank.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to be so unfriendly here. but after 4 years mine showed no corrosion at all

So it's cool for him to come on here trash talking a really good company like Ecotech?..... saying "be warned" ?

And I'm out-of-bounds? Please

Tired of ppls unrealistic expectations tbh

Last edited:
Back