beaslbob tanks

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NACRers:

We are having a house built and need to get our existing tanks out of the house to sell it.

I have

a 10g FW lieden 20-30 guppies started 2002
a 20g l FW leiden 20 platties 3 years old
a 10g fw leiden neon tetras/dlo fish 2 years old
Will's old 29g reef with 2 clowns, Kenbyan tree, green stars, zoos
my 55g with 2 mollies and a gorgonia, landscape type rocks.

Definately with the saltwater I would like to keep the hardware but the livestock would not survive storage. So free to anyone who wants them. Of course you can make offer also.

On the Fw make offer or you are welcome to the fish and plants.

I hate to break down the 10g with guppies as it is the longest running tank I have ever had. But such is life.

contact me at [email protected]

And could someone please cut and paste this into rc? Still can't post there.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a phyto rotifer culture system with 3 2 liter bottles of each. No need for those either. phyto is very healthy rotifers less so.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone would like my 10g or the 20g just come and get it.

Some will remember those tanks from when I hosted a club meeting a few year back. Both are "my" leiden methods which use plants and nothing else to maintain the tank. The 10g has descendant guppies from the original cycle trio.

Hopefully I'll get some replies now. :squigglemouth:

hardimanm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to reintroduce guppies back to my 55 gallon for a while now. Just have not done it. And may be interested in the neons for a smaller tank i have set up too..
Are these fancy tail guppies? What do they look like?
Also...what are your water parameters in there tanks....mainly pH?

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to reintroduce guppies back to my 55 gallon for a while now. Just have not done it. And may be interested in the neons for a smaller tank i have set up too..
Are these fancy tail guppies? What do they look like?
Also...what are your water parameters in there tanks....mainly pH?

The guppies are the standard (whatever that is) "fancy" guppies". Kinda a half black with red in the tails.

They are in my 8 year old tank which does not have peat moss in the substrate. I measured kh ad 19 degrees and gh at 30 degrees a few years back.

All my tank Fw, salt, sand, peatmoss, are balanced out and stabilized with plant life. As such pH is surprising high. All measure 8.4-8.8 with the api high range test kit. Because the plant life sucks out the carbon dioxide so the tank becomes a net consumer of carbon dioxide and producer of oxygen every 24 hour period.

The FW tank with peat moss (platys, neons, glofish) has a KH of 4 degrees and gh of 9 degrees over a 2 year period. The sand substrate with no peatmoss had the high kh and gh.

I also have two saltwater mollys in the 55g marine.

my .02

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in my 8 year old tank which does not have peat moss in the substrate. I measured kh ad 19 degrees and gh at 30 degrees a few years back.

Wow, those numbers are extremely high. Your sand must be leaching hardness components and affecting your kH and GH over the years (with not much water changes I suspect.) Any fish out of the tank needs to be carefully acclimated to go into new tank with softer water. (Our water in Madison is generally much softer than that.) Otherwise, the fish will suffer a severe osmotic shock. It's the total hardness that you need to pay close attention to rather than pH. pH is a pretty good indicator of water hardness in most cases, but it could be misleading because some soft water can have high pH and the CO2 injected tank can have a low pH while kH and GH are relatively high. Generally speaking, fish can go from soft water to hard water a lot easier than from hard to soft.

the tank becomes a net consumer of carbon dioxide and producer of oxygen every 24 hour period.

Beelzebub - Every 24 hours? Please explain this one.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoko

So glad to hear from ya.

Wow, those numbers are extremely high. Your sand must be leaching hardness components and affecting your kH and GH over the years (with not much water changes I suspect.) Any fish out of the tank needs to be carefully acclimated to go into new tank with softer water. (Our water in Madison is generally much softer than that.) Otherwise, the fish will suffer a severe osmotic shock. It's the total hardness that you need to pay close attention to rather than pH. pH is a pretty good indicator of water hardness in most cases, but it could be misleading because some soft water can have high pH and the CO2 injected tank can have a low pH while kH and GH are relatively high. Generally speaking, fish can go from soft water to hard water a lot easier than from hard to soft.
Yea you were shocked three years ago with those numbers also. Thanks for feedbck and warning
Tomoko said:
Beelzebub - Every 24 hours? Please explain this one.

And hour is 60 minutes and each minute is 60 seconds.

:wink:

Sure your Carbon dioxide increase during lights out as the plants consume oxygen and return carbon dioxide under lights out. So pH rises to some extent under lights out. But the overall effect is to lower carbon dioxide. In fact, before I added macros to my 55g marine, the pH was more or less constant at 7.6. After macros it was 8.4-8.8 (api test high range test kit) just before lights out, but at first dropped to 7.9 at night. So even with the wider pH drop, the lowest pH with macros was still higher then the highest pre macro pH. Raising my KH with baking soda reduced the nightly pH drop also.

So the plants to me are sucking out the carbon dioxide so much they are actually sinking co2 from the surrounding air and sourcing oxygen to the surrounding air net every 24 hours.

At least I think so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

. pH is a pretty good indicator of water hardness in most cases, but it could be misleading

Missed this one from before.

I have the same ph readings (8.4-8.8 api high range test kit) with tank with very high kh and gh and low kh and gh. 19 or 4 kdh, 30 or 9 dgh.

the tanks with peat moss have the lower readings.

I guess this is the opposite of a co2 injected tank. My plants suck out the co2 raising the pH and have no circulation which limits air gas exchange.

Plus no water changes as well. Which severly limits the effects of the water quality and the tank condition are almost totally dependant on what the tank itself is doing.

So in my operations the kh and gh values are more a reflection of what the substrate is doing. Everything else was the same.

I also found out the peat moss is needed for neon tetras.

my .02

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your tank conditions demonstrated, pH is not always dependant on kH and GH components (which are mainly carbonates, calcium and magnesium in our local water.) As you know, it is the measure of H+.

Peat moss is pretty acidic. Humic acid in peat moss is what your neon tetra is enjoying. Black water of the Amazon basins that they come from is rather acidic and stained very brown with humus from the decomposing leaf litter in the water. When I was breeding some fussy apistogrammas from the same water, I used peat moss to condition their water. It worked pretty well. With that said, neon tetras and cardinal tetras can be acclimated to our moderately hard and slightly alkaline water pretty easily. My neon tetras and cardinal tetras in my planted tank usually live well over four years (without a peat moss treatment) although I understand that the majority of these fish live only a year or two in their native waters due to the harsh conditions of dry seasons.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your tank conditions demonstrated, pH is not always dependant on kH and GH components (which are mainly carbonates, calcium and magnesium in our local water.) As you know, it is the measure of H+.

Peat moss is pretty acidic. Humic acid in peat moss is what your neon tetra is enjoying. Black water of the Amazon basins that they come from is rather acidic and stained very brown with humus from the decomposing leaf litter in the water. When I was breeding some fussy apistogrammas from the same water, I used peat moss to condition their water. It worked pretty well. With that said, neon tetras and cardinal tetras can be acclimated to our moderately hard and slightly alkaline water pretty easily. My neon tetras and cardinal tetras in my planted tank usually live well over four years (without a peat moss treatment) although I understand that the majority of these fish live only a year or two in their native waters due to the harsh conditions of dry seasons.

Agree.

Actually what seems to be happening is the gh and kh values (with peat moss) are just what my tap has to begin with. So they remain at those levels instead of increasing.

With peat the pH is low the first day (6.5 or so) then jumps up to 7.2 for a few days/weeks then finally jumps up to 8.4-8.8.

Neons in my sand only tanks just don't live more then a week or two. But in the peat tanks they live for years.

Finally you dose co2 and actually do water changes. The water changes would obviously limit the build up I experience without the peat. But there would be some build up anyway.

But then my experience is based on my much flamed, unproven, experimental, dangerous methods. :wink:
I wonder how Diane Waldstad is. :bigsmile:

my .02

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diane seems to be doing fine. She had an article on TAG a couple of issues ago. She cited a few scientific research papers (not her own) about aquatic plants taking up nutrients and growing under 24/7 lighting without any ill effect from not having a dark period. I have not seen her since 2001 when she gave a lecture during the 2nd AGA convention. She is rather shy and reclusive. She has not come to any other AGA convention as far as I know.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the orders to take down the tanks today.

so come and getum. LOL

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get to you sometime this weekend. Will you put a few sprigs of grape caulerpa in a bag or jar and save them for me? Please PM me your phone number. I seem to have lost your phone number.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I have grape but may have some profilera. Will jar whatever I have.
For what it's worth all the tanks except the 55g have been torn down. Haridman has my such as they are guppies and platys. The aquarium shop has the plants.

my .02

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back