Beau Gregory Damsel aggression reduction?

PsychonautiqExotiqs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsels being a grade A doucher to my clowns I’d like to attempt to reduce aggression before I release him back to the reef (he was wild caught) any suggestions or is it a lost cause he’s in a 30 with 2 small clownfish and I noticed they had chunks out of there fins upon closer inspection that they wouldn’t do to themselves lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have a sump, because that wild fish isn't gonna give up unless you are chasing it around the tank for a few days every time it makes a move at the damsels. If you can chase it and establish your dominance in the system you can win this battle but most folks don't take this advice seriously and they end up losing their clowns.

So a sump might work, or trade it in, or establishing your command in the tank are the only 3 choices if you want to keep the clowns alive, ime. Gl!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son has a damsel in a 32 with a clown pair. Try structuring your rock with arches and swim through caves. The damsel shows no aggression. He is happier in the rock or an overhang. The clowns are happier in the open.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, your clowns could very well be biting each other. Please post pics.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They weren’t aggressive to each other before they were the first fish in the tank and I made sure they didn’t kill each other lol
Ok. I thought you said small clowns? One or both may transition to female. Females show aggression toward males until they become submissive, 2 females will fight to the death. Sometimes even females kill males.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Beau Gregory! 30 years ago, the first marine tropical i caught here in south Florida was a Beau Gregory. Instead of hiding in the rocks, he would dart out and attack me, making his capture with net easy. I quickly learned that they don’t back down to any fish in an aquarium. He got his freedom back to the sea less than a week after, lol! They are pretty though.

OP
OP
P

PsychonautiqExotiqs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I thought you said small clowns? One or both may transition to female. Females show aggression toward males until they become submissive, 2 females will fight to the death. Sometimes even females kill males.
One I think is smaller here’s a video of them when I first got them a couple weeks ago they’ve been getting along since then though. Anyway pardon the audio the video was for my buddy originally

OP
OP
P

PsychonautiqExotiqs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here 94E614CA-D682-4AC4-AE5E-C9C9E4DC7CDD.jpeg E292549C-BF5D-4E44-9168-201FBC1B48B2.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0638.MOV
    35.3 MB

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back