Been in the Hobby and ready to start

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just joined R2R and this is my first post. I am sure I can find many answers in here but thought I would get right to the point. I have been in the aquarium hobby for a few years now have 2 very successful cichlid tanks but from the first day I started my end goal was a salt water tank.

I Just bought a new house and want my new tank to be the center piece in my home. I have read a few books on the hobby and also have set aside money to start. So basically my question is, What size tank and equipment would most of you suggest for a beginner? I want soft corals and some fun super colorful fish. Right now I have about $1500 set aside to start but always can be adjusted.

Thank you!!

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest tank you can fit. I have a 55 gallon and get frustrated that I can only keep smaller fish. Just like a boat you always want a bigger one.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for 1500 have you considered buying a used tank? There are lots of poeple who need to move or get out of the hobby and depending on where you live you could probably get something in the 125 gallon range with all the equipment, some fish and corals for that price. Consider maintenance and upkeep costs (salt, additives, etc) when looking at an established tank.

If you are looking for new then you should start pricing our what will fit your budget. bulk reef supply and marine depot have all the goodies so you can see what things cost.

OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I was thinking in the 75-90 range. I will for sure look at those two sites now!

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just joined this site also and am currently working on my 2nd tank. It is the first I have done in years but it is something that my son and I wanted to do together so I jumped right in with both feet. To the topic of your question though, I am not an expert by any means but I have just bought a lot of new stuff so I have an idea on prices. I bought a 55 gal corner tank w/ stands. Filters/Pumps, thermometer, salt additive (instant ocean was my preference) and 50 lbs of crushed coral to line the bottom of my take for the base. All that and all I have in it atm is a little over $600 bucks. I still have to get lighting situated, a protein skimmer, live and dry rocks (to start the cycle process) and all the testing gear needed for water parameters. Point I am getting at is if you want to go new then it really starts to add up quickly so Spiraling definitely gave you some sound advice mate. However, if your like me and your one of those DIY kind of guys then come on in brother and we will figure this thing out together.

OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just joined this site also and am currently working on my 2nd tank. It is the first I have done in years but it is something that my son and I wanted to do together so I jumped right in with both feet. To the topic of your question though, I am not an expert by any means but I have just bought a lot of new stuff so I have an idea on prices. I bought a 55 gal corner tank w/ stands. Filters/Pumps, thermometer, salt additive (instant ocean was my preference) and 50 lbs of crushed coral to line the bottom of my take for the base. All that and all I have in it atm is a little over $600 bucks. I still have to get lighting situated, a protein skimmer, live and dry rocks (to start the cycle process) and all the testing gear needed for water parameters. Point I am getting at is if you want to go new then it really starts to add up quickly so Spiraling definitely gave you some sound advice mate. However, if your like me and your one of those DIY kind of guys then come on in brother and we will figure this thing out together.

My Man thank you for such a nice response. I am by no means against finding a bargin. In all honesty I have a 120 gallon 48x24 tank and stand I could have for free but I just bought a brand new construction rowhome in Philadelphia and I feel like that may a bit big for my house and set up. Plus it is not reef ready and drilling into it makes me a lot nervous. I am actually in the process of trying to sell the tank (fire glass front) stand fluval fx5 cannister filter right now to put that money towards my salterwater tank. If i was to buy anything new i guess it would be the tank and or stand just so it fits into my brand new construction house But I am not against finding a nice used tank, stand, sump, skimmer so on. So in that case I and ready to ride this train! Like i said this had been my goal since day one and having this new house was my starter into making it a reality.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, if your like me and your one of those DIY kind of guys then come on in brother and we will figure this thing out together.

True, there are lots of ways to save money, and/or prolong buying thinks until later to stretch your budget a bit.
Some ways are better than others. If you have equipment failure you can possibly lose everything, including your floors or carpet, not to mention your spouses approval, so cheaper isn't always better. There is a lot of good mid-priced stuff that is very good though. You don't need high end or all the bells and whistles to have a very successful tank .

Once you get an idea of what size, type (all on one or not, bow, corner, with sump or not, etc) and what livestock and coral you want, you can start getting a better idea of what you need from cheapest to $$$$. Livestock and coral will dictate a lot of what you buy. For example SPS tends to need a lot more expensive light and additives than softies. Nems need more light, but are really fun with clown fish, etc. Something like a used red sea max 250 (66 gallon) can be a great starter tank (or forever tank), and very stylish if you have someone else in the house scrutinizing how it looks with the furniture.

If you don't go for a full tank, craigslist can still produce some sweet deals in equipment and livestock, as can the classifieds on these forums.

good luck! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, there are lots of ways to save money, and/or prolong buying thinks until later to stretch your budget a bit.
Some ways are better than others. If you have equipment failure you can possibly lose everything, including your floors or carpet, so cheaper isn't always better. There is a lot of good mid-priced stuff that is very good though. You don't need high end or all the bells and whistles to have a very successful tank .

Once you get an idea of what size, type (all on one or not, bow, corner, with sump or not, etc) and what livestock and coral you want, you can start getting a better idea of what you need from cheapest to $$$$. Livestock and coral will dictate a lot of what you buy. For example SPS tends to need a lot more expensive light and additives than softies. Nems need more light, but are really fun with clown fish, etc. Something like a used red sea max 250 (66 gallon) can be a great started tank, and very stylish if you have someone else in the house scrutinizing it.

If you don't go for a full tank, craigslist can still produce some sweet deals in equipment and livestock, as can the classifieds on these forums.

good luck! :)
I have been looking at red sea tanks, never even thought about a used one that is a good idea. I would say I am a mix of all in one and DIY. A beginners simple DIY project would be the most I'd like to go in that route. Like I said making my own over flow scares me but I am willing to try and set up plumbing and my sump and skimmer. Do you have any other suggestions that fit this criteria? like a reefer 350 or any other tanks or easy set up sumps and reef ready tanks? Thank you again for all the responses

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at red sea tanks, never even thought about a used one that is a good idea. I would say I am a mix of all in one and DIY. A beginners simple DIY project would be the most I'd like to go in that route. Like I said making my own over flow scares me but I am willing to try and set up plumbing and my sump and skimmer. Do you have any other suggestions that fit this criteria? like a reefer 350 or any other tanks or easy set up sumps and reef ready tanks? Thank you again for all the responses

A reefer is a great tank (I'm currently setting up a 525) This one is quite a bit of work. This is my 'forever' tank so we put in a lot more mods to make it exceptional, but there is more plumbing, parts, and setup crap to deal with than a max tank. It's not at all impossible for a simple setup and someone willing to talk to the hardware store to get parts that fit. (ie your pump you buy needs to fit to the tubing needs to fit to the tank fitting). No drilling or scary stuff. But expect some frustration for the average person.

A reefer with decent lights, skimmer, and return pump will grow anything. Other brands make some similar tanks, (innovative marine, cadlights) for different prices an quality. The reefers are gorgeous. If it is the centerpiece of the room I would be more inclined to go with a nice looking tank and make the budget fit (by size, parts, etc). You already know how dominant a tank will be in the room.

I did get a rsm 130 used several years ago (which transported me from freshwater to saltwater aquariums). It was plug and play, as well as nice looking. Much easier than the reefer, but through the years I have had to upgrade stock parts to get what I wanted. In truth, I like having a sump, which the 130 doesn't have.

OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reefer is a great tank (I'm currently setting up a 525) This one is quite a bit of work. This is my 'forever' tank so we put in a lot more mods to make it exceptional, but there is more plumbing, parts, and setup crap to deal with than a max tank. It's not at all impossible for a simple setup and someone willing to talk to the hardware store to get parts that fit. (ie your pump you buy needs to fit to the tubing needs to fit to the tank fitting). No drilling or scary stuff. But expect some frustration for the average person.

A reefer with decent lights, skimmer, and return pump will grow anything. Other brands make some similar tanks, (innovative marine, cadlights) for different prices an quality. The reefers are gorgeous. If it is the centerpiece of the room I would be more inclined to go with a nice looking tank and make the budget fit (by size, parts, etc). You already know how dominant a tank will be in the room.

I did get a rsm 130 used several years ago (which transported me from freshwater to saltwater aquariums). It was plug and play, as well as nice looking. Much easier than the reefer, but through the years I have had to upgrade stock parts to get what I wanted. In truth, I like having a sump, which the 130 doesn't have.

So would you recommend a reefer then? Only bad review I can find is that you have to use their filter socks and the 65 gallon the ATO is too small.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont own a red reefer.... so cant really comment on that.

In general bigger is better for beginners, within reason. 65-90 is a good start.

You could do a hang on back over flow, in that 120 rather then drilling. It really isnt that hard to figure out what pump you need and parts.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had my reefer for 2 months but i would recommend one. The cadlights (I have read) is similar, but we love the look and quality of the reefer.

You can do a mod with a dremmel to make any sock fit. I also did a $10 mod for the return spout (Its on the big reefer thread, really easy and the parts are all at BRS)

No matter what I would get a different ato pump and container. The tank is really hard to fill where it is, and the float is known to fail. You can get the tunze nano for around $100. I have it on two tanks and works great. I have the next version up on the 525, it just offers some redundancy on overfill. Also plan on having your ATO container outside of the stand so you can get one big enough. Perhaps in a nice little cabinet or ottoman looking thing next to the tank. On the 130 which is a covered tank I only need about 5 gallons a week, but on the 525 reefer I need about 2 gallons a day. If I want to leave for a long weekend I need 10 gallons, and the included 4 gallon wont work.

what kind of livestock are you thinking?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont own a red reefer.... so cant really comment on that.

In general bigger is better for beginners, within reason. 65-90 is a good start.

You could do a hang on back over flow, in that 120 rather then drilling. It really isnt that hard to figure out what pump you need and parts.

very true, since you have the tank you can start with a HOB overflow to a sump, or just a HOB skimmer (reef octopus among others makes them). This would be a very economical solution so you can get better livestock and lights to start.

OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had my reefer for 2 months but i would recommend one. The cadlights (I have read) is similar, but we love the look and quality of the reefer.

You can do a mod with a dremmel to make any sock fit. I also did a $10 mod for the return spout (Its on the big reefer thread, really easy and the parts are all at BRS)

No matter what I would get a different ato pump and container. The tank is really hard to fill where it is, and the float is known to fail. You can get the tunze nano for around $100. I have it on two tanks and works great. I have the next version up on the 525, it just offers some redundancy on overfill. Also plan on having your ATO container outside of the stand so you can get one big enough. Perhaps in a nice little cabinet or ottoman looking thing next to the tank. On the 130 which is a covered tank I only need about 5 gallons a week, but on the 525 reefer I need about 2 gallons a day. If I want to leave for a long weekend I need 10 gallons, and the included 4 gallon wont work.

what kind of livestock are you thinking?

haven't quite narrowed down my livestock yet.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't quite narrowed down my livestock yet.

If you have had aquariums in the past, then I assume this is long term and not a first tank. If that is true then quite honestly you will want to have enough room and future equipment for some nice livestock. Either space for angels (fowlr) or sps coral. (cause that's how coral buying goes, even if you start with softies and lps)

If so, you also might want to consider if you want to upgrade to a different tank later. Some people have a "I can do this now an upgrade later" tank, others buy a tank "now for future needs" so they don't go through the hassle of upgrading / transferring everything.

Ok, lets not kid ourselves, in this hobby there is always the thought of upgrading tanks :)

You can upgrade most tanks for your future livestock, but some upgrades are a lot easier and cheaper than others. It really is best to figure out at least an idea for your livestock, and start there.

OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have had aquariums in the past, then I assume this is long term and not a first tank. If that is true then quite honestly you will want to have enough room and future equipment for some nice livestock. Either space for angels (fowlr) or sps coral. (cause that's how coral buying goes, even if you start with softies and lps)

If so, you also might want to consider if you want to upgrade to a different tank later. Some people have a "I can do this now an upgrade later" tank, others buy a tank "now for future needs" so they don't go through the hassle of upgrading / transferring everything.

Ok, lets not kid ourselves, in this hobby there is always the thought of upgrading tanks :)

You can upgrade most tanks for your future livestock, but some upgrades are a lot easier and cheaper than others. It really is best to figure out at least an idea for your livestock, and start there.

Perfect Im currently reading the marine reef aquarium by Phil Hunt and also looking through these forums. I know for sure my fav is a mandarin goby I love their color And I love to watch the softies move in a tank. I did go to reefaplooza last year in new york and that blew my mind so I deff have to read more into it. . Have you ever heard anything about CAD lights tanks? I see some post on them. they are like the reefer, come equip but have room for customization. I just dont think Im ready to buy piece by piece and make it work. But maybe thats just in my head that I think its hard.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a user - i think Ron - on reef central that has a cadlights and might be able to help you. Search there and you will find reviews. From what I read they don't quite have the quality or customer help. But you also pay less. i certainly considered one.

I, too, want a mandarin. you have to have a refuguim and/or grow pods. I tried growing pods in a bucket and forgot for a few days and killed them. I am using the ato container, but placed in the sump, for a refugium. Its still too early to tell if it will work, but I have seen successful ones this way, at least i have seen pictures on the internet so they must be successful :rolleyes:. Paul B on several forums has a brine shrimp feeder that works, but takes effort. If you want a mandarin then you need to build your system around growing pods for it, no exceptions, and choosing tank mates that don't eat pods (like wrasses do) That's why choosing your livestock early is helpful.

I understand the whole piece by piece thing. there are a ton of things you need that all work together. i personally like the red sea because to me (and my husband) they look a lot nicer than a tank you can piece together yourself. unless you get a true all in one there is quite a bit of work with the reefer or the store bought. You can start with the basics and work from there. For a reefer you need to build the stand (ikea style) buy and install a return pump, get a skimmer, and an ato. Those items are about a 4 hr build/install unless things go south. You need lights and powerheads too. If you have motivation, which it looks like you do, then it will be more fun than a chore. Be patient, don't give yourself time lines, and you will be happier with the project.

cadlights has the option to get some or all parts. If you go a route like that make sure the parts offered are what you want. The rsm stock skimmer on the 130 was very noisy and i upgraded immediately. But not getting an all in one presents itself with a paralyzing amount of buying decisions. Its easy to get caught up in "I need this new thing" when you really don't. Its more research, work, and risk, but the trade off is that you get equipment that best fits your needs, vs having something easy that works.

I would love to go to reefapaloza or MACNA! but i live a bit remotely and that's not a real option. I could buy a lot of corals for the cost to go (get used to comparing all of your expenses to how many corals you can buy instead :p)

OP
OP
kramerjusc

kramerjusc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been looking over reviews and now I think im looking at SCA or a reefer. Something that comes mostly built but I can customize a little also.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! There are many systems out there that would make excellent tanks, I have a CadLight 70G Artisan II. A tank in the 65G range is a good tank to start off with. It's large enough to be forgiving in the event of a failure and it gives you enough room for a nice mixed reef setup. Keep us posted!

welcom.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back