Beginner Corals for newly established 30g

blackwing013

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2022
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have recently added my first fish to my 30-gallon tank about 2 weeks ago and now I have caught the itch for coral. I don't think that my light is good enough for any coral, It is a Fluval Aquasky (I know, not good, but it was included with the tank I bought). I am in the market for a new light, however. Once I get said new light, I am looking for some beginner, easy-to-keep corals, that would stay small enough for my 30-gallon, as I know I am limited on space. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance! (P.S. First ever saltwater tank, just learning along the way) (P.S.P.S I only have a canister filter, not sure if that matters, just throwing it in)
 
Duncan coral is my recommendation.
duncan.jpg
 
That’s funny Duncan was my first coral in the tank. I would honestly go mushrooms first. 2 weeks is very early to start off with anything more.. give it some time and just stock slowly
 
That’s funny Duncan was my first coral in the tank. I would honestly go mushrooms first. 2 weeks is very early to start off with anything more.. give it some time and just stock slowly
Thanks for the recommendation! As I said, I don't think my current light is good enough for any coral so it'll be a while until I actually get any
 
I meant more of cheap zoas not difficulty level, sorry came out wrong
Oh, ok. Yeah I definitely wasn't looking to spend more than like 35 considering it's my first coral:face-with-tears-of-joy:
 
Hello all, I have recently added my first fish to my 30-gallon tank about 2 weeks ago and now I have caught the itch for coral. I don't think that my light is good enough for any coral, It is a Fluval Aquasky (I know, not good, but it was included with the tank I bought). I am in the market for a new light, however. Once I get said new light, I am looking for some beginner, easy-to-keep corals, that would stay small enough for my 30-gallon, as I know I am limited on space. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance! (P.S. First ever saltwater tank, just learning along the way) (P.S.P.S I only have a canister filter, not sure if that matters, just throwing it in)
It sounds like I am in a very similar stage as you are and have been doing a lot of research. The light I have is the Red Sea ReefLED 50. I am currently stocking fish and I think the corals will start going in about 3 - 4 months. I have found a lot of good information at www.reeffarm.com. As recommended by many I am going to start with Zoas, Mushrooms, Duncans and GSP. I have also heard Candy Canes are a good beginning coral as well.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new