Beginner Corals for newly established 30g

blackwing013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have recently added my first fish to my 30-gallon tank about 2 weeks ago and now I have caught the itch for coral. I don't think that my light is good enough for any coral, It is a Fluval Aquasky (I know, not good, but it was included with the tank I bought). I am in the market for a new light, however. Once I get said new light, I am looking for some beginner, easy-to-keep corals, that would stay small enough for my 30-gallon, as I know I am limited on space. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance! (P.S. First ever saltwater tank, just learning along the way) (P.S.P.S I only have a canister filter, not sure if that matters, just throwing it in)

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan coral is my recommendation.
duncan.jpg

Danny G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny Duncan was my first coral in the tank. I would honestly go mushrooms first. 2 weeks is very early to start off with anything more.. give it some time and just stock slowly

OP
OP
B

blackwing013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny Duncan was my first coral in the tank. I would honestly go mushrooms first. 2 weeks is very early to start off with anything more.. give it some time and just stock slowly
Thanks for the recommendation! As I said, I don't think my current light is good enough for any coral so it'll be a while until I actually get any

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have recently added my first fish to my 30-gallon tank about 2 weeks ago and now I have caught the itch for coral. I don't think that my light is good enough for any coral, It is a Fluval Aquasky (I know, not good, but it was included with the tank I bought). I am in the market for a new light, however. Once I get said new light, I am looking for some beginner, easy-to-keep corals, that would stay small enough for my 30-gallon, as I know I am limited on space. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance! (P.S. First ever saltwater tank, just learning along the way) (P.S.P.S I only have a canister filter, not sure if that matters, just throwing it in)
It sounds like I am in a very similar stage as you are and have been doing a lot of research. The light I have is the Red Sea ReefLED 50. I am currently stocking fish and I think the corals will start going in about 3 - 4 months. I have found a lot of good information at www.reeffarm.com. As recommended by many I am going to start with Zoas, Mushrooms, Duncans and GSP. I have also heard Candy Canes are a good beginning coral as well.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back