Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by melypr1985, Feb 25, 2017.

Beginner Corals - Leathers

Leathers are one of the best starter corals around. Some of them can grow quickly enough to be considered invasive (the Kenya tree comes to mind...
  1. want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a leather question. I have three leathers in the middle of my 125, all three different types of toadstools. They are all super happy, out all of the time, yet they don't grow. The first one we got as a tiny frag. It has grown to about 3" across then stopped growing, hasn't grown for about 6 months. The others we got a bit bigger and I'm pretty sure the largest one, maybe 8" across, is starting to shrink. All this while they seem to be quite happy. Any ideas?

thanks!

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I don't think leather corals every reach a 'maximum' size... I've seen examples in the ocean that were far too large for most of us to house in our aquariums. They might well slow down growth naturally once they've reached a certain size... I don't know enough about leather corals to answer that question.

So... if they didn't stop growing for natural reasons... then it's gotta be something else. Some resource in the tank water limiting growth, or some contaminate causing them to stop. Which one? Who knows. Could be anything from shifting spectrum in your lighting, loose voltage in the system, lack or excessive quantities of organics in the water, out of range natural elements, or some foreign contaminate. A big water change might help, but once again, you're guessing.

First thing I'd do would be to look for anything that has changed. Did you change bulbs in your light, add a new reactor, that sort of thing. If nothing comes to mind, in your position, I might consider sending a water sample to Triton for testing... See if you can find the culprit that way.

Cary, VR28man and want2bsleepy like this.
  3. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

I have found that while leathers can grow quickly, once they reach a certain size the growth does tend to slow down some. Checking water parameters and also doing a water change is always a good idea. Also, did you know that leathers can be pretty good at coral warfare? They secrete a mucus to protect themselves from predators which will build up and need to be blown off by a good strong current to allow them to grow. If they aren't going waxy on you or pulling in their polyp for a day or two every now and then, then they aren't growing properly. I would run carbon just to be safe (if you aren't already) and check all the things Greybeard mentioned.

Cary and want2bsleepy like this.
  4. Cristy17

Cristy17 Sunshine Reef R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Great info Meredith! As always! I have a question, this morning I decided to remove a Meteor Shower Cyphasrtrea that my leather had partially grown over. I pulled the meteor plug out from under the foot of the leather, which was stuck on there pretty well. In hindsight, I probably should have cut the leather off with an exacto knife, but I was in a hurry..don't know why..Anyways, the leather started releasing a fluid into the water. Is this fluid harmful/toxic to my tank? If so, what can I do to assure it wont affect my tank? A water change? I was do desperated to keep this stuff from releasing into the tank, I literally used a plug and glued it to the hole on the side of the leather where there was a hole...

5. VR28man

VR28man Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

This. Seen very big Sinularia colonies in Oahu, Hawaii, in waters that are usually too choppy to dive/snorkel in. (HI has only one major Sinularia species, which has never been fragged or offered for sale in the commercial ornamental coral industry)

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/cnidaria/sinularia-densa.htm

I hear that many leathers (most Sarcophyton sp., many Sinularia) are very toxic to other corals? Are there some common species that aren't chemical warfare champs?

Cary and melypr1985 like this.
  6. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Leathers can be very good at coral warfare. When stressed or just when a neighboring coral gets too close it can release chemicals into the water. Run carbon and change it regularly. Water changes will help as well of course.

Cary likes this.
  7. Cristy17

Cristy17 Sunshine Reef R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Thank you! So far nothing has seemed to be affected and the leather seems to be bouncing back well.

Cary and melypr1985 like this.
  8. reeftank220master

reeftank220master Active Member

20161020_132419.jpg

Cary, melypr1985 and Maddlesrain like this.
  9. melypr1985

Now that is a very nice looking tank! Goes to show that a "beginner" coral can be outstanding!

Cary likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted